Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
28-03-2014, 11:23 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(28-03-2014 10:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 10:01 AM)mknight Wrote:  What in your view is the most compelling argument for the existence of God?

I don't have one as God cannot be proved or disproved via empirical evidence.

If you're willing to count anecdotal evidence, then I would say my regeneration experience.
Right, we agree on that. Surely there must one argument that helps justify your position.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2014, 11:23 AM
(28-03-2014 10:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  If you're willing to count anecdotal evidence, then I would say my regeneration experience.

I would like to read this, is there a post about it somewhere?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
28-03-2014, 11:24 AM
(28-03-2014 10:45 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 10:30 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yep. It is one of the few instances where No True Scotsman is valid.

Is it really. Facepalm
Of course not...
28-03-2014, 12:25 PM
(28-03-2014 10:32 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well... not exactly.

People may be elect and not understand the concept, but they understand salvation and accept Christ. They just don't understand that the reason they accept Christ is because they are elect.
So you are saying that an atheist can't be an elect?

Which would mean that if you allowed yourself to stop believing then you would loose your only chance of making it into heaven?
28-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Hey guys, you might wanna cool it for a few days in here, KC's got some heavy shit on his mind right now. I'd consider it a personal favor to me.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-baby-girl

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 5 users Like War Horse's post
30-03-2014, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2014 01:26 AM by Pickup_shonuff.)
Ask a theist..hmmm..okay. Here's a question:

WHY?

That is, as marvelous as matter and energy are--extrinsically and intrinsically--and as insightful as the scientific method--speaking primarily of the methodological naturalist/reductionist approach--has proven to be, what on Earth would possess anyone to take theism seriously, apart from entirely emotionally-driven motivations? What advantage do you gain by "God"? It is such an ambiguous term, devoid of any substance, that gets you nowhere and provides you nothing with exception to perhaps an illusion of something like feelings of temporary self-importance. All this typically proves unsatisfying when push comes to shove and life emerges as the grueling experience that it is in the absence of any external supervening helping hands from above (oh, I forgot, God intervenes specially for you but not for everyone else who suffers far more tremendously).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Pickup_shonuff's post
30-03-2014, 04:56 AM
(30-03-2014 01:08 AM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  (oh, I forgot, God intervenes specially for you but not for everyone else who suffers far more tremendously).

Nope.

God doesn't intervene on anybodies behalf in KC's world; everything has already be set in stone -as it were- before anything even existed as part of gawd's undeniable and inescapable 'Plan'. If god was truly all knowing and all powerful, that is the only way it could be on Planet Calvinism.

Of course, one wonders if god is truly all-powerful; powerful enough to act outside of his own plan...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
30-03-2014, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2014 06:59 AM by Pickup_shonuff.)
(30-03-2014 04:56 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 01:08 AM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  (oh, I forgot, God intervenes specially for you but not for everyone else who suffers far more tremendously).

Nope.

God doesn't intervene on anybodies behalf in KC's world; everything has already be set in stone -as it were- before anything even existed as part of gawd's undeniable and inescapable 'Plan'. If god was truly all knowing and all powerful, that is the only way it could be on Planet Calvinism.

Of course, one wonders if god is truly all-powerful; powerful enough to act outside of his own plan...

Sounds like quite the bastard, deserving little praise but a great deal of scorn. If God is as blind as Mother Nature, I can hardly hold him responsible, though what it would mean to possess strong desires and emotions towards such a being seems analogous to tree-hugging in the extreme (at least trees are good for something).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Pickup_shonuff's post
31-03-2014, 04:49 AM
(09-12-2011 03:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Step right up, folks! Come one, come all. Come see the strange, intoxicating, and completely mind boggling views of a...

THEIST

Now, before we begin, a few ground rules:

*stares at Chas*

1) I am not here to convert you, and you are not here to convert me.

B) I am well aware you don't agree with my beliefs.
5) This is for educational purposes.
Lastly) I will explain things from a theist point of view (Christian - Calvinist).
3) The Bible is a valid authority for my beliefs.
VIIII) Act like a jerk, and you probably won't get answered. I am not obligated to answer you. All I ask is that you keep your civility.

I will do my best to answer your queries as honestly and completely as I know how.

Addendum #screw it) My username does not stem from my religious beliefs.
Addendum #monkey) I believe in evolution.
Addendum #number) I believe in a God-inspired Bible. This does not mean the Bible is 100% literal
And so the obvious question, since you are here for educational purposes, what do you hope to learn?
31-03-2014, 09:03 AM
(28-03-2014 11:23 AM)mknight Wrote:  Right, we agree on that. Surely there must one argument that helps justify your position.

No there isn't.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]