Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
31-03-2014, 09:06 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(28-03-2014 11:23 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 10:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  If you're willing to count anecdotal evidence, then I would say my regeneration experience.

I would like to read this, is there a post about it somewhere?

I've posted it several times in this thread. Let me find it.

Evidence for me being elect:

Growing up, I was always embarrassed of Christianity and whenever my parents talked about Jesus. I thought church was silly, and I found the stories nothing more than fantasy.

I finally accepted agnosticism in college as my official belief, and I began to rip Christianity apart with the use of logic and rationality. I would combat Christians on the Internet via forums and use the aforementioned tactics against them to make them look like fools. I was good at it.

Driving home from work one day, my life changed. My heart was opened to a higher power; even though I didn't know whom. I'll try my best to explain this: I found myself suddenly and sincerely praying and listening to this higher power for guidance. This was wholly strange to me because up until that moment I didn't believe in a God that I could talk to.

My beliefs so drastically changed than I began to get angry with myself. I didn't understand how I could rationally accept that there was a higher power that I could converse with. It wasn't logical. Also, I never wanted to talk to a higher power, and I didn't understand how I was doing it if I didn't choose to. My knowledge of religion pre-empted the idea that I had to choose it.

The higher power led me to read and study the Bible. This was the first time that I’ve ever actually done it. It was at this time that I realized that the higher power I was talking to was the Christian God; however, I still didn’t understand why I didn’t get a choice. As my studying intensified, I began to learn about election. And then, it made sense. I realized that then reason I didn’t have a choice is because I was never planned to have a choice.

I knew that I was elect because I learned that those who are elect can hear the will of God and those that aren’t cannot even understand it.

So, that’s my evidence. I guess the most concrete part of it is the fact that my beliefs radically changed and became cemented by no choice of my own.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2014, 09:08 AM
(28-03-2014 12:25 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 10:32 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well... not exactly.

People may be elect and not understand the concept, but they understand salvation and accept Christ. They just don't understand that the reason they accept Christ is because they are elect.
So you are saying that an atheist can't be an elect?

Which would mean that if you allowed yourself to stop believing then you would loose your only chance of making it into heaven?

No, an atheist can be elect, but once they are regenerated, it is impossible for them to be an atheist. God provides them with faith in which they acknowledge salvation.

If one becomes and stays an atheist, he was never elect as it is impossible to resist God's plan.

31-03-2014, 09:09 AM
(28-03-2014 12:35 PM)War Horse Wrote:  Hey guys, you might wanna cool it for a few days in here, KC's got some heavy shit on his mind right now. I'd consider it a personal favor to me.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-baby-girl

Thank you for the support, friend. So very much appreciated.

31-03-2014, 09:10 AM
(30-03-2014 01:08 AM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  Ask a theist..hmmm..okay. Here's a question:

WHY?

That is, as marvelous as matter and energy are--extrinsically and intrinsically--and as insightful as the scientific method--speaking primarily of the methodological naturalist/reductionist approach--has proven to be, what on Earth would possess anyone to take theism seriously, apart from entirely emotionally-driven motivations? What advantage do you gain by "God"? It is such an ambiguous term, devoid of any substance, that gets you nowhere and provides you nothing with exception to perhaps an illusion of something like feelings of temporary self-importance. All this typically proves unsatisfying when push comes to shove and life emerges as the grueling experience that it is in the absence of any external supervening helping hands from above (oh, I forgot, God intervenes specially for you but not for everyone else who suffers far more tremendously).

As I said before, it is because of the faith that God gives His elect. We aren't looking to "gain" anything from it.

31-03-2014, 09:11 AM
(30-03-2014 04:56 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 01:08 AM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  (oh, I forgot, God intervenes specially for you but not for everyone else who suffers far more tremendously).

Nope.

God doesn't intervene on anybodies behalf in KC's world; everything has already be set in stone -as it were- before anything even existed as part of gawd's undeniable and inescapable 'Plan'. If god was truly all knowing and all powerful, that is the only way it could be on Planet Calvinism.

Of course, one wonders if god is truly all-powerful; powerful enough to act outside of his own plan...

FT knows my doctrine very well.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
31-03-2014, 09:13 AM
(31-03-2014 04:49 AM)mknight Wrote:  And so the obvious question, since you are here for educational purposes, what do you hope to learn?

I have learned quite a lot in my tenure here on TTA.

I've posted about it before, but I guess the main thing I learned is how it feels to be an outcast and treated with scorn by Christians.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
31-03-2014, 10:22 AM
(31-03-2014 09:11 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 04:56 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Nope.

God doesn't intervene on anybodies behalf in KC's world; everything has already be set in stone -as it were- before anything even existed as part of gawd's undeniable and inescapable 'Plan'. If god was truly all knowing and all powerful, that is the only way it could be on Planet Calvinism.

Of course, one wonders if god is truly all-powerful; powerful enough to act outside of his own plan...

FT knows my doctrine very well.

After spending such time trying to rationalise and understand the concepts, some key stuff got jammed inside my think ol' skull. Thumbsup

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-03-2014, 02:13 PM
(31-03-2014 09:10 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 01:08 AM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  Ask a theist..hmmm..okay. Here's a question:

WHY?

That is, as marvelous as matter and energy are--extrinsically and intrinsically--and as insightful as the scientific method--speaking primarily of the methodological naturalist/reductionist approach--has proven to be, what on Earth would possess anyone to take theism seriously, apart from entirely emotionally-driven motivations? What advantage do you gain by "God"? It is such an ambiguous term, devoid of any substance, that gets you nowhere and provides you nothing with exception to perhaps an illusion of something like feelings of temporary self-importance. All this typically proves unsatisfying when push comes to shove and life emerges as the grueling experience that it is in the absence of any external supervening helping hands from above (oh, I forgot, God intervenes specially for you but not for everyone else who suffers far more tremendously).

As I said before, it is because of the faith that God gives His elect. We aren't looking to "gain" anything from it.

How does God determine who is His elect? Why put his Elect through this miserable existence if their presence in the party upstairs is already a done deal? Seems like a malicious plot.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-03-2014, 02:17 PM
(31-03-2014 02:13 PM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 09:10 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  As I said before, it is because of the faith that God gives His elect. We aren't looking to "gain" anything from it.

How does God determine who is His elect? Why put his Elect through this miserable existence if their presence in the party upstairs is already a done deal? Seems like a malicious plot.

Sure does. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-03-2014, 03:01 PM
(31-03-2014 02:13 PM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  How does God determine who is His elect? Why put his Elect through this miserable existence if their presence in the party upstairs is already a done deal? Seems like a malicious plot.

1) I don't know nor do I have the means to answer that.
2) Same as above
3) Because it was part of the plan that gave the Son a purpose. As for why He didn't just leave that part out... see 1 and 2.