Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
01-04-2014, 07:46 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
I agree you are an enigma to me also...a pretty pleasant enigma but an enigma none the less.

If I may ask, how come Calvinism? Were you brought up in this branch of Christianity or did you come to it later in life (sorry if this has already been addressed, this is a very long thread). Part of my university course many moons ago was on Christopher Marlowe's play Dr Faustus and Calvinism came up but it was discussed as though this was pretty much a Tudor belief and not around anymore so I was quite surprised when I encountered you and found it's still alive and kicking.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2014, 06:59 AM
(01-04-2014 07:46 AM)Eva Wrote:  I agree you are an enigma to me also...a pretty pleasant enigma but an enigma none the less.

If I may ask, how come Calvinism? Were you brought up in this branch of Christianity or did you come to it later in life (sorry if this has already been addressed, this is a very long thread). Part of my university course many moons ago was on Christopher Marlowe's play Dr Faustus and Calvinism came up but it was discussed as though this was pretty much a Tudor belief and not around anymore so I was quite surprised when I encountered you and found it's still alive and kicking.

First, thank you. Smile

As for your question, I wasn't brought up around Calvinism and the only thing I knew about it growing up was that predestination was "bad".

When I had my sudden change against my will I began searching all the different religions to find out what happened to me. When I discovered what Calvinism taught it suddenly made sense. This is why I was changed against my will.

And yes, Calvinism is still very popular. It is the most popular denomination for the well educated and theologians... not to sound pretentious... but it's true. However, Calvinism has taken on a different name in many of the Calvinistic circles. It's now known as being "Reformed". Reformed Baptist teach Reformed Theology which is Calvinism.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
02-04-2014, 07:14 AM
(02-04-2014 06:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  First, thank you. Smile

As for your question, I wasn't brought up around Calvinism and the only thing I knew about it growing up was that predestination was "bad".

When I had my sudden change against my will I began searching all the different religions to find out what happened to me. When I discovered what Calvinism taught it suddenly made sense. This is why I was changed against my will.

And yes, Calvinism is still very popular. It is the most popular denomination for the well educated and theologians... not to sound pretentious... but it's true. However, Calvinism has taken on a different name in many of the Calvinistic circles. It's now known as being "Reformed". Reformed Baptist teach Reformed Theology which is Calvinism.

Thank you for answering. I had not realised that Reformed Baptists were Calvinists and, it would seem, neither did my university lecturer. I prefer the name Calvinist, just has a better ring to it. Although I won't be converting anytime soon No Wink

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
02-04-2014, 07:19 AM
(02-04-2014 07:14 AM)Eva Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 06:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  First, thank you. Smile

Thank you for answering. I had not realised that Reformed Baptists were Calvinists and, it would seem, neither did my university lecturer. I prefer the name Calvinist, just has a better ring to it. Although I won't be converting anytime soon No Wink

Really? That's odd... since the main reason for the distinction is due to the Doctrine of Election. Southern Baptist don't believe in this; Reformed do so they = Calvinist.

Don't get too confused, though. Reformed Baptist have different beliefs than other types of Calvinists. It's just that the main identifier in these is the Doctrine of Election.

04-04-2014, 04:19 AM
(31-03-2014 09:13 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 04:49 AM)mknight Wrote:  And so the obvious question, since you are here for educational purposes, what do you hope to learn?

I have learned quite a lot in my tenure here on TTA.

I've posted about it before, but I guess the main thing I learned is how it feels to be an outcast and treated with scorn by Christians.
That's what you learned by accident but what were you 'hoping' to learn?
09-04-2014, 05:44 AM
1. What would be different about your life if you were an atheist?

2. Why do you suppose the negatives you cite aren't a problem for atheists?

3. You get to meet God tomorrow (not via death; at a Starbucks, for coffee). What percent of God would match what you imagine God is? What percent would be things you thought God WASN'T? By what criteria do you arrive at the percentages you cite?

4. Jesus was tortured for awhile and hung up to die. This is represented as an awesome sacrifice. The graveyards and dying rooms of history are filled with human beings whose physical and mental tribulations make what Jesus went through a trifle, a slap, a pinch. Not only that he didn't die. He got up, walked around, then went somewhere where his faculty of consciousness is still to this day unimpaired. That's no sacrifice; it isn't even an inconvenience. How is a man wracked with the relentless pain of bone disease for years supposed to view this "sacrifice" with any seriousness whatsoever? Or regard "God" as merciful?

5. The god described in the KJV is a patent jackass, about as vile a monster as human imagination can conjure. And disastrously incompetent. Characters in the KJV talk about a loving competent god, but what actual demonstrations of love or competence outweigh the demonstrations of chicanery, mayhem, buffoonery, hatred and disdain? How can anyone with any sense at all conclude from the KJV's chronicle of its god's nature that God is virtually the opposite of the one described?
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
09-04-2014, 06:40 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 07:03 AM by kingschosen.)
(04-04-2014 04:19 AM)mknight Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 09:13 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I have learned quite a lot in my tenure here on TTA.

I've posted about it before, but I guess the main thing I learned is how it feels to be an outcast and treated with scorn by Christians.
That's what you learned by accident but what were you 'hoping' to learn?

I had no ambitions or hopes in learning anything when I joined. I simply joined because my friend did and it was a way we could pass down time at work.

Edit: As irony would have it, my "friend" posted directly below this after months of inactivity.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-04-2014, 06:53 AM
We still allow filthy theists on this forum?

Aw fuk bye.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
09-04-2014, 06:59 AM
(09-04-2014 05:44 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  1. What would be different about your life if you were an atheist?

Very little, I imagine. I've lived the past couple of years as a Christian pariah, so in regards to my peers, I don't see much of a difference. As for my family, I think it would be hard at first, I don't think they would shun me or abandon me. That isn't enough to separate us.

Quote:2. Why do you suppose the negatives you cite aren't a problem for atheists?

I'm not entirely sure what you're referencing.

Quote:3. You get to meet God tomorrow (not via death; at a Starbucks, for coffee). What percent of God would match what you imagine God is? What percent would be things you thought God WASN'T? By what criteria do you arrive at the percentages you cite?

Probably very different. God paints us a picture of how we should view Him via the scriptures. I imagine that's not a whole package of what/who He is. I imagine we are given the information He wants us to know about Himself or the info that we need to know about Him. I can't give a percentage, but yeah, I'm thinking He would be very different than I imagined.

Quote:4. Jesus was tortured for awhile and hung up to die. This is represented as an awesome sacrifice. The graveyards and dying rooms of history are filled with human beings whose physical and mental tribulations make what Jesus went through a trifle, a slap, a pinch. Not only that he didn't die. He got up, walked around, then went somewhere where his faculty of consciousness is still to this day unimpaired. That's no sacrifice; it isn't even an inconvenience. How is a man wracked with the relentless pain of bone disease for years supposed to view this "sacrifice" with any seriousness whatsoever? Or regard "God" as merciful?

The caliber of the suffering isn't the point nor was it ever the point. It's the fact that Jesus was a sacrifice. He could have had His head lopped off right after conviction and it would have the same outcome.

My dad has a terminal illness that causes extreme pain every minute of every day of his life. He's lived like this since 2006. He is a devout Christian, and he has no delusions that God will heal his condition. He's accepted that pain and suffering are a part of the human condition.

I suppose that's a question that I need to ask my dad... ask I can't answer it.

Quote:5. The god described in the KJV is a patent jackass, about as vile a monster as human imagination can conjure. And disastrously incompetent. Characters in the KJV talk about a loving competent god, but what actual demonstrations of love or competence outweigh the demonstrations of chicanery, mayhem, buffoonery, hatred and disdain? How can anyone with any sense at all conclude from the KJV's chronicle of its god's nature that God is virtually the opposite of the one described?

I'm curious as to why you specified the King James Version of the Bible. Regardless, many of the instances you are talking about happen due to how God's plan and how He wants things to happen. If you reference certain verses in question, I can attempt to answer your question at hand. But, for your blanket question I can only give a blanket answer; things happen in a certain way because of how God wants things to go.

09-04-2014, 07:00 AM
(09-04-2014 06:53 AM)germanyt Wrote:  We still allow filthy theists on this forum?

Aw fuk bye.

OMG where have you been?