Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
21-04-2014, 07:16 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(21-04-2014 07:08 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(21-04-2014 07:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  KC. Hello my dear chap.

I have a question you have likely been asked. Why do you believe such utter nonsense like Jesus is a god???

Although I am not at my best, I still remember all those history books. Books from the ancients and moderns alike. Philosophers and not. The Jesus story is full of massive gaping holes.

You hang out with atheists and must surely read the odd good post.

Why???

NOTE*. Although sober, I am kind of drunk. If I appear rude it is unintentional.

I go back to my regeneration experience. It's a domino effect based on that; which also includes faith and my faith in the Bible. As I've always stated, I have no empirical evidence for why I believe in Christianity, but it's because of my faith that I do.

I consider myself rational and capable of deep thought, but I believe in something as irrational as faith. For this, I can only deduce that it was given to me by something/someone and I have no choice but to believe.

Simply because you are capable of rationality, doesn't make you immune from being irrational.
In addition to that, your deduction by necessity adds in a component for which there is no sound basis for inclusion, rendering your deduction itself as irrational due to its reliance on an non-demonstrated factor.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2014, 07:31 AM
KC.
Thank you for answering my question.

I still do not understand. The idea of faith is right out of the con mans play book.

"Put your signature right there, on the dotted line. You can trust me. Have faith."

Free thought is a very bright guy and I think he is right. You appear to believe simply so as to believe.

Well, whatever floats your boat. You do not preach to us. And I respect you for that.

Many thanks.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-04-2014, 08:29 AM
(21-04-2014 07:08 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I go back to my regeneration experience.

Have you explained this experience somewhere? I skimmed through the first ~10 pages of this thread, had a look at your bio and tried the search feature but didn't find any relevant reference. And I'm more used to hearing resurrection than regeneration as far as christian 'apologetics' go so I'm curious to what this is all about.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
21-04-2014, 08:38 AM
(21-04-2014 08:29 AM)John Wrote:  
(21-04-2014 07:08 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I go back to my regeneration experience.

Have you explained this experience somewhere? I skimmed through the first ~10 pages of this thread, had a look at your bio and tried the search feature but didn't find any relevant reference. And I'm more used to hearing resurrection than regeneration as far as christian 'apologetics' go so I'm curious to what this is all about.

Click the green arrow below.

(31-03-2014 09:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Click the arrow above.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
21-04-2014, 09:39 AM
(21-04-2014 07:08 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(21-04-2014 07:02 AM)Banjo Wrote:  KC. Hello my dear chap.

I have a question you have likely been asked. Why do you believe such utter nonsense like Jesus is a god???

Although I am not at my best, I still remember all those history books. Books from the ancients and moderns alike. Philosophers and not. The Jesus story is full of massive gaping holes.

You hang out with atheists and must surely read the odd good post.

Why???

NOTE*. Although sober, I am kind of drunk. If I appear rude it is unintentional.

I go back to my regeneration experience. It's a domino effect based on that; which also includes faith and my faith in the Bible. As I've always stated, I have no empirical evidence for why I believe in Christianity, but it's because of my faith that I do.

I consider myself rational and capable of deep thought, but I believe in something as irrational as faith. For this, I can only deduce that it was given to me by something/someone and I have no choice but to believe.

Perfect example of circular argument. Well done. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2014, 12:47 PM
(31-03-2014 09:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've posted it several times in this thread. Let me find it.

Evidence for me being elect:

Growing up, I was always embarrassed of Christianity and whenever my parents talked about Jesus. I thought church was silly, and I found the stories nothing more than fantasy.

I finally accepted agnosticism in college as my official belief, and I began to rip Christianity apart with the use of logic and rationality. I would combat Christians on the Internet via forums and use the aforementioned tactics against them to make them look like fools. I was good at it.

Driving home from work one day, my life changed. My heart was opened to a higher power; even though I didn't know whom. I'll try my best to explain this: I found myself suddenly and sincerely praying and listening to this higher power for guidance. This was wholly strange to me because up until that moment I didn't believe in a God that I could talk to.

My beliefs so drastically changed than I began to get angry with myself. I didn't understand how I could rationally accept that there was a higher power that I could converse with. It wasn't logical. Also, I never wanted to talk to a higher power, and I didn't understand how I was doing it if I didn't choose to. My knowledge of religion pre-empted the idea that I had to choose it.

The higher power led me to read and study the Bible. This was the first time that I’ve ever actually done it. It was at this time that I realized that the higher power I was talking to was the Christian God; however, I still didn’t understand why I didn’t get a choice. As my studying intensified, I began to learn about election. And then, it made sense. I realized that then reason I didn’t have a choice is because I was never planned to have a choice.

I knew that I was elect because I learned that those who are elect can hear the will of God and those that aren’t cannot even understand it.

So, that’s my evidence. I guess the most concrete part of it is the fact that my beliefs radically changed and became cemented by no choice of my own.

Well, that was... confusing, in all honesty. Could you elaborate on this part:

Driving home from work one day, my life changed. My heart was opened to a higher power; even though I didn't know whom. I'll try my best to explain this: I found myself suddenly and sincerely praying and listening to this higher power for guidance. This was wholly strange to me because up until that moment I didn't believe in a God that I could talk to.

I really don't know what to make of this. You found yourself suddenly and sincerely praying and listening to something that you previously didn't think existed. Wait... what?! I don't mean to sound condescending but this sounds borderline insane to me. Blink

I mean, did you see something? Did you hear something? Did you have a 'conversation'? Like I said, this is all very confusing.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
21-04-2014, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2014 02:36 PM by avalon.)
(21-04-2014 06:52 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(19-04-2014 03:42 PM)avalon Wrote:  Hi Kingschosen,

Can you tell me why spirit, wind, and breath are all the same word in the bible?

Because language.

It would help if you gave references.

http://biblesuite.com/greek/4151.htm :
pneúma – properly, spirit (Spirit), wind, or breath.
[Any of the above renderings (spirit-Spirit, wind, breath) of 4151 (pneúma) is always theoretically possible (spirit, Spirit, wind, breath). But when the attributive adjective ("holy") is used, it always refers to the Holy Spirit. "Spirit" ("spirit") is by far the most common translation (application) of 4151 (pneúma).

The Hebrew counterpart (rûach) has the same range of meaning as 4151 (pneúma), i.e. it likewise can refer to spirit/Spirit, wind, or breath.]

(Ezek 37:9 [NET])
He said to me, “Prophesy to the breath, – prophesy, son of man – and say to the breath: ‘This is what the sovereign LORD says: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these corpses so that they may live.’”

(Ezek 37:9 [SLT])
And he will say to me, prophesy to the spirit, prophesy, son of man, and say to the spirit, thus said the Lord Jehovah: Come from the four winds, O wind and blow upon these slain, and they shall live.

(Ezek 37:9 [KJV])
Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live.

So, what's the connection between wind, breath, and spirit? When you say "spirit" what do you mean?
22-04-2014, 07:38 AM
(21-04-2014 12:47 PM)John Wrote:  I really don't know what to make of this. You found yourself suddenly and sincerely praying and listening to something that you previously didn't think existed. Wait... what?! I don't mean to sound condescending but this sounds borderline insane to me. Blink

I mean, did you see something? Did you hear something? Did you have a 'conversation'? Like I said, this is all very confusing.

Nope. It is pretty insane. I've said so myself... I've also said I was angry with myself for doing this... but it happened, and I now believed in something.

When I have conversations with God, there isn't anything audible. For me, it's a reassurance... or a decisive "understanding" of something that I previously didn't know. Hard to explain, I guess. Like, when I have questions and I ask God, His "voice" is when I receive a thought aka an answer and I feel satiated in my curiosity.

22-04-2014, 07:42 AM
(21-04-2014 02:24 PM)avalon Wrote:  
(21-04-2014 06:52 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because language.

It would help if you gave references.

http://biblesuite.com/greek/4151.htm :
pneúma – properly, spirit (Spirit), wind, or breath.
[Any of the above renderings (spirit-Spirit, wind, breath) of 4151 (pneúma) is always theoretically possible (spirit, Spirit, wind, breath). But when the attributive adjective ("holy") is used, it always refers to the Holy Spirit. "Spirit" ("spirit") is by far the most common translation (application) of 4151 (pneúma).

The Hebrew counterpart (rûach) has the same range of meaning as 4151 (pneúma), i.e. it likewise can refer to spirit/Spirit, wind, or breath.]

(Ezek 37:9 [NET])
He said to me, “Prophesy to the breath, – prophesy, son of man – and say to the breath: ‘This is what the sovereign LORD says: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these corpses so that they may live.’”

(Ezek 37:9 [SLT])
And he will say to me, prophesy to the spirit, prophesy, son of man, and say to the spirit, thus said the Lord Jehovah: Come from the four winds, O wind and blow upon these slain, and they shall live.

(Ezek 37:9 [KJV])
Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live.

So, what's the connection between wind, breath, and spirit? When you say "spirit" what do you mean?

Okay... I see what you're saying... and I kind of get what you're asking. But this all seems very entomological and not much to do with theology and/or God.

I guess, to me, it seems like you're trying to make an issue out of something where there is no issue.

I guess I'm just failing to see what you're seeing. I apologize. If you don't mind, please keep elaborating until it "clicks" with me. If you're too frustrated, I understand... again, sorry.

22-04-2014, 08:10 AM
Ok, skipping the experience itself for a moment, could you elaborate on how exactly this 'leading' here happened:

(31-03-2014 09:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The higher power led me to read and study the Bible. [...] It was at this time that I realized that the higher power I was talking to was the Christian God; however, I still didn’t understand why I didn’t get a choice.

I mean to ask, why is it that you felt "led to read and study the Bible" and not something else? Was it somehow obvious, and if so, why? And for that matter, what made you think that your experience had anything to do with anything that is found in the Bible in the first place? (Not sure you think it had but I'll ask anyway)

To the extent that I'm able to picture myself in your shoes, it doesn't seem to follow from the experience (given my background knowledge) that it had some connection with the Bible. So I'm wondering if there's something missing here.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post