Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
10-10-2014, 08:39 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(10-10-2014 08:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 08:30 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Ok so given that you consider much of the old testament to be myth (or however you want to phrase it) how much of the new testament do you consider to be non-historical?

Non-historical as in "made up" or "propaganda"?

Or both, like I said you can call it what you want. I'm just trying to get this off to a good start so I figured this would be a good way for newer people to see how you think. Not trying to troll you or anything so don't think this is a gotcha attempt.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2014, 08:46 AM
(10-10-2014 08:39 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 08:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Non-historical as in "made up" or "propaganda"?

Or both, like I said you can call it what you want. I'm just trying to get this off to a good start so I figured this would be a good way for newer people to see how you think. Not trying to troll you or anything so don't think this is a gotcha attempt.

No, it's cool. I didn't even think of it like that. I just wanted to give you a satisfactory answer.

Anyway, I'm not going to deny that portions of the NT could have been written has propaganda (especially due to the popular "Paulinity" theory), but I have no definitive 100% answer at this time.

My personal belief is that the NT is exactly what it is. Legitimate letters written to churches and people during the first century, apocalyptic writings, and recounts of Jesus' life.

However, I am in no way saying that the traditional authors attributed to those books are who actually wrote them. A lot of those are up for debate.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-10-2014, 08:54 AM
(10-10-2014 08:46 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 08:39 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Or both, like I said you can call it what you want. I'm just trying to get this off to a good start so I figured this would be a good way for newer people to see how you think. Not trying to troll you or anything so don't think this is a gotcha attempt.

No, it's cool. I didn't even think of it like that. I just wanted to give you a satisfactory answer.

Anyway, I'm not going to deny that portions of the NT could have been written has propaganda (especially due to the popular "Paulinity" theory), but I have no definitive 100% answer at this time.

My personal belief is that the NT is exactly what it is. Legitimate letters written to churches and people during the first century, apocalyptic writings, and recounts of Jesus' life.

However, I am in no way saying that the traditional authors attributed to those books are who actually wrote them. A lot of those are up for debate.

You need to take into account that some of the text has been conclusively shown to have been changed or even inserted.
So some of its legitimacy is questionable. It is not exactly what it purports to be.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-10-2014, 08:56 AM
(10-10-2014 08:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 08:46 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  No, it's cool. I didn't even think of it like that. I just wanted to give you a satisfactory answer.

You need to take into account that some of the text has been conclusively shown to have been changed or even inserted.
So some of its legitimacy is questionable. It is not exactly what it purports to be.

Yep.

That has been what I'm currently studying.

Any additional pointing and guidance on this topic would be helpful. I'm pretty lazy right now.

10-10-2014, 09:06 AM
(10-10-2014 08:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Any additional pointing and guidance on this topic would be helpful. I'm pretty lazy right now.

GWOG is gonna be very happy to help you Big Grin

Welcome back to the forum ol' buddy, it's good to see you posting again Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
10-10-2014, 09:08 AM
(10-10-2014 09:06 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 08:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Any additional pointing and guidance on this topic would be helpful. I'm pretty lazy right now.

GWOG is gonna be very happy to help you Big Grin

Don't get too excited. Remember that I'm mentally unstable and at any moment I could disappear again.

10-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Here's a question.
How is the supposed genocide of the Amalikites by the Hebrews acceptable in the bible? Why is it okay for god to order genocide?

And why is it that the bible is the ONLY source for a group of people called Amalikites anyway? There is no historical evidence they existed.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
10-10-2014, 12:10 PM

About all I know of off the top of my head is the controversy of whether or not John 7:53-8:11 was part of the original manuscript, and the word changings mentioned by Richard Carrier in the epistles (in his opinion, to lend legitimacy to the idea of Christ being born and not made).

There are probably others, but I don't know anything else without digging.
10-10-2014, 01:25 PM
From what I remember everything after Mark 16:8 was added at a date much later than the original manuscript.
10-10-2014, 02:06 PM
(10-10-2014 09:08 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 09:06 AM)morondog Wrote:  GWOG is gonna be very happy to help you Big Grin

Don't get too excited. Remember that I'm mentally unstable and at any moment I could disappear again.

Oh you silly person.

You're not Egor.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.