Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
10-10-2014, 02:14 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(10-10-2014 02:06 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 09:08 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Don't get too excited. Remember that I'm mentally unstable and at any moment I could disappear again.

Oh you silly person.

You're not Egor.

However, he is like the man who shoves his dick in pecan pie... Tongue

I is just playing with ya KC Wink

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2014, 02:14 PM
How come when people read the bible and they read that someone was ordered by god to kill someone, No one on the entire planet questions that god actually told them to literally kill their literal children and that it was a GOOD and moral deed that they did and they had every right do to so and are in heaven for doing god's work.

HOWEVER! When it is NOT written in the bible and something that happened 2000+ years ago. When someone makes the same claim today, No one believes him/her and that man is going to hell and he most certainly is a psychopath who hears voices in his head when he tries to make the god told me to claim?!

So, If I had a child and tried to or succeeded in killing him as a sacrifice, Why wouldn't my claim of god told me to do it hold up in a court of law, but when the bible says it, Christians believe it is immoral to even "think" about that being wrong or inaccurate?

How come?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
10-10-2014, 02:27 PM
(10-10-2014 02:14 PM)morondog Wrote:  However, he is like the man who shoves his dick in pecan pie... Tongue

That's nuts. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-10-2014, 07:56 AM
(10-10-2014 11:48 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  Here's a question.
How is the supposed genocide of the Amalikites by the Hebrews acceptable in the bible? Why is it okay for god to order genocide?

Please be clear as to why it shouldn't be acceptable. Not sure what you're asking here.

Quote:And why is it that the bible is the ONLY source for a group of people called Amalikites anyway? There is no historical evidence they existed.

Main answer: I don't know. Should I have the answer to this?

Other answers: There are multiple explanations for them... as they could be a representation of a group of peoples at that time (as their name simply identifies them) instead of being a literal tribe. Or, as with a lot of ANE history, they could have been created as a story/history hybrid for conveying culture through the generations - ie instead of remembering the different enemies simply amalgamate all your enemies into one enemy so that the message remains but the literal facts become foggy.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
15-10-2014, 08:01 AM
(15-10-2014 07:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 11:48 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  Here's a question.
How is the supposed genocide of the Amalikites by the Hebrews acceptable in the bible? Why is it okay for god to order genocide?

Please be clear as to why it shouldn't be acceptable. Not sure what you're asking here.

Under what conditions is genocide ever an acceptable act?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
15-10-2014, 08:10 AM
(10-10-2014 02:14 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  How come when people read the bible and they read that someone was ordered by god to kill someone, No one on the entire planet questions that god actually told them to literally kill their literal children and that it was a GOOD and moral deed that they did and they had every right do to so and are in heaven for doing god's work.

HOWEVER! When it is NOT written in the bible and something that happened 2000+ years ago. When someone makes the same claim today, No one believes him/her and that man is going to hell and he most certainly is a psychopath who hears voices in his head when he tries to make the god told me to claim?!

So, If I had a child and tried to or succeeded in killing him as a sacrifice, Why wouldn't my claim of god told me to do it hold up in a court of law, but when the bible says it, Christians believe it is immoral to even "think" about that being wrong or inaccurate?

How come?

I think you might need to re-ask your question to me; but, this time, remove the general assumption that I somehow speak for those that have defended or said something like that. You're asking me a question that's akin to me asking you, "Hey atheist, since you're an atheist, how come you don't have morals? Why do you like killing people?"

If you want to rearrange your thoughts and ask me a legitimate questions in regards to my personal beliefs, then feel free. But, asking me a question like that is no different than the theist trolls that get on TTA just to incite emotional responses from people.

So, please... regroup your thoughts and ask me the question you want to ask me (as a person) without passive aggressively trolling.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
15-10-2014, 08:22 AM
(15-10-2014 08:10 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(10-10-2014 02:14 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  How come when people read the bible and they read that someone was ordered by god to kill someone, No one on the entire planet questions that god actually told them to literally kill their literal children and that it was a GOOD and moral deed that they did and they had every right do to so and are in heaven for doing god's work.

How come?

I think you might need to re-ask your question to me; but, this time, remove the general assumption that I somehow speak for those that have defended or said something like that. You're asking me a question that's akin to me asking you, "Hey atheist, since you're an atheist, how come you don't have morals? Why do you like killing people?"

If you want to rearrange your thoughts and ask me a legitimate questions in regards to my personal beliefs, then feel free. But, asking me a question like that is no different than the theist trolls that get on TTA just to incite emotional responses from people.

So, please... regroup your thoughts and ask me the question you want to ask me (as a person) without passive aggressively trolling.

Do you believe that God commanded the Israelites to commit genocide?

Do you believe that command is justified or moral?
15-10-2014, 08:25 AM
(15-10-2014 08:01 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 07:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Please be clear as to why it shouldn't be acceptable. Not sure what you're asking here.

Under what conditions is genocide ever an acceptable act?

It's not according to standard human morals. I personally would never be okay with genocide according to my morals.

However, there are cases in which human morality consents and approves of genocide (seen multiple times in history). To their subjective point of view, genocide was cool.

It basically boils down to the morality of the peoples of that time... something we see as morally abhorrent was seen as fine and even necessary at that time. It is very difficult to apply our current moral subjectivity to theirs. Moral beliefs are constructed through the status quo of the societies of that time and how they existed and interacted.

Now, I know the question of God's morality is going flow into this conversation. I've discussed this in detail before, but I'll give a quick run-down.

I don't necessarily agree (from my 21st century societal human point of view) with some of the morally ambiguous moments of God in the Bible; but again, morality is subjective and changing. On top of that, I also accept that God is omniscient and omnipotent; therefore, He is autonomous - His morality is His own and He can only be judged by Himself.

15-10-2014, 08:27 AM
(15-10-2014 08:10 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

How come?

Nicely stated. Props for not having a, justified, blow-up over something like that.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
15-10-2014, 08:27 AM
(15-10-2014 08:22 AM)Rik Wrote:  Do you believe that God commanded the Israelites to commit genocide?

Yes

Quote:Do you believe that command is justified or moral?

See my above post.