Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
15-10-2014, 10:04 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(15-10-2014 10:00 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 09:54 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes.

A completely anecdotal experience.
To quote Thomas Paine's Age of Reason on this subject. *note Thomas Paine was a Deist and DID believe in a creator deity.*
Quote:No one will deny or dispute the power of the Almighty to make such a communication, if he pleases. But admitting, for the sake of a case, that something has been revealed to a certain person, and not revealed to any other person, it is revelation to that person only. When he tells it to a second person, a second to a third, a third to a fourth, and so on, it ceases to be a revelation to all those persons. It is revelation to the first person only, and hearsay to every other, and consequently they are not obliged to believe it.

Point of this post?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2014, 10:05 AM
(15-10-2014 10:02 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 09:10 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Somewhat. I suppose you could break it down like that; however, the set for God isn't really a "set". There is no set as His morality is His own. There is no standard or anything to compare it to.

Of course there is. There are moral codes from every moral philosophy and religion.
There are even Secular moral codes.

Point of this post?

Edit: as your comment is in no way relevant to what I said.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
15-10-2014, 10:06 AM
(15-10-2014 10:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 10:00 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  To quote Thomas Paine's Age of Reason on this subject. *note Thomas Paine was a Deist and DID believe in a creator deity.*

Point of this post?

To expand on your 'anecdotal' comment.
Also I just like Thomas Paine.

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
15-10-2014, 10:06 AM
(15-10-2014 10:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 10:02 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  Of course there is. There are moral codes from every moral philosophy and religion.
There are even Secular moral codes.

Point of this post?

You said there were no other standards of morality to compare gods to did you not?
Or did I misread?

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
15-10-2014, 10:09 AM
(15-10-2014 10:06 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 10:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Point of this post?

You said there were no other standards of morality to compare gods to did you not?
Or did I misread?

Yes you did.

If a being is omniscient and omnipotent and lives under its own and can only be compared to its own autonomy then no, it has no standard to be compared to.

15-10-2014, 10:13 AM
(15-10-2014 09:54 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 09:53 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  KC,
What is your basis for knowing with a high degree of confidence that the god you follow is real? I guess, to date what has solidified your belief that god is there, and and has made itself known to you personally?

I think you have stated before that your basis lies mostly on what could be called "revelation" or direct communication with god. Is this true?

Yes.

A completely anecdotal experience.

So, understand that if these experiences are actually what you say they are, then where is the limit on what can be attributed to "a revelation from god"? For example, if god revealed to you tomorrow that a local motel full of prostitution needed you to burn it down - would you do it? if you did the act, are you considered an insane madman? Immoral? A sane man just doing god's work? Let's face it, god has done this sort of thing before (on a much grander scale).

This could be the get out of jail free defense in our secular courts if revelations from god are real.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
15-10-2014, 10:15 AM
(15-10-2014 10:09 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 10:06 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  You said there were no other standards of morality to compare gods to did you not?
Or did I misread?

Yes you did.

If a being is omniscient and omnipotent and lives under its own and can only be compared to its own autonomy then no, it has no standard to be compared to.
So you did say what I thought you did.
Yes no standard, except for every human standard in existence.
INCLUDING the many different Christian standards.

― Gordon R. Dickson
[+] 4 users Like Winterwolf00's post
19-10-2014, 05:36 AM
(22-01-2014 05:18 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Was it a Calvinist who came up with the meme "I didn't choose the thug life, the thug life chose me"? Laughat

Kingsy, I am interested in your response to this question. Seems like you noticed it, but you must've forgotten to answer.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
21-10-2014, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2014 10:10 AM by kingschosen.)
(15-10-2014 10:15 AM)Winterwolf00 Wrote:  
(15-10-2014 10:09 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yes you did.

So you did say what I thought you did.
Yes no standard, except for every human standard in existence.
INCLUDING the many different Christian standards.

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying.

Click the green arrow below.

(19-11-2013 02:09 PM)The Quoting Feature Which Many Do Not Utilize And/Or Realize Wrote:  Click Above

21-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Is a man alone in a forest in world of no others including a God worth anything?