Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
27-12-2011, 03:52 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(27-12-2011 01:44 PM)znk666 Wrote:  ... yet he strictly has forbidden the woman herself to decide for an abortion?

Oh, really? Where is the "Thou shalt not go to Planned Parenthood" commandment?
Or did Jesus say it in one of the Gospels?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2011, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2011 06:08 PM by Infidel.)
Since it is written that you must see god in his creation...

"For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." Romans 1:20 (New International Version, 2011)

... do you see a perfect and holy god when you examine "creation"?

Something, Or Someone Is Really Out There!
27-12-2011, 06:21 PM
My favorite bible story to inquire about is Noah's Ark.

Please explain to me how this story could possibly be true.
Find all posts by this user
28-12-2011, 08:28 AM
(27-12-2011 06:21 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  My favorite bible story to inquire about is Noah's Ark.

I believe it was a regional flood.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
28-12-2011, 10:29 AM
(28-12-2011 08:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(27-12-2011 06:21 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  My favorite bible story to inquire about is Noah's Ark.

Well, the questions go much deeper than that. But by your answer, I take it that you aren't a bible literalist?

So first question based on the premise that this story is indeed historical fact...

How did the ark avoid being capsized during what must have been massive waves?
28-12-2011, 12:09 PM
(28-12-2011 10:29 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  

Well, the questions go much deeper than that. But by your answer, I take it that you aren't a bible literalist?

So first question based on the premise that this story is indeed historical fact...

Well, I am pretty literal when it comes to the Bible; however, the translation of the flood account leads me to believe it was regional.

Anyway, the size of the ark was 438 x 73 x 48 foot box. Not a boat; but a box. These dimensions would make this box almost entirely impossible to capsize; even in 90 degree waves.

28-12-2011, 12:48 PM
(28-12-2011 12:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Well, I am pretty literal when it comes to the Bible; however, the translation of the flood account leads me to believe it was regional.

Anyway, the size of the ark was 438 x 73 x 48 foot box. Not a boat; but a box. These dimensions would make this box almost entirely impossible to capsize; even in 90 degree waves.

Oh - where does it say "box" in the Bible?

28-12-2011, 12:52 PM
(28-12-2011 12:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  

ummm

Really, Chas?

What do you think an "ark" is?

28-12-2011, 12:57 PM
(28-12-2011 12:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-12-2011 08:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I believe it was a regional flood.

ummm

Really, Chas?

ark/ärk/Noun: 1.(in the Bible) The ship built by Noah to save his family and two of every kind of animal from the Flood; Noah's ark.
2.A vessel or sanctuary that serves as protection against extinction: "a starship ark built by their android protectors".

In the Aramaic, is the same word used for the Ark of the Covenant as for Noah's ark?

28-12-2011, 01:12 PM
(28-12-2011 12:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-12-2011 12:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-12-2011 10:29 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  Well, the questions go much deeper than that. But by your answer, I take it that you aren't a bible literalist?

ummm

Really, Chas?

ark/ärk/Noun: 1.(in the Bible) The ship built by Noah to save his family and two of every kind of animal from the Flood; Noah's ark.
2.A vessel or sanctuary that serves as protection against extinction: "a starship ark built by their android protectors".

In the Aramaic, is the same word used for the Ark of the Covenant as for Noah's ark?

No. This is the word used for the ark of the covenant, but it seems that the word used for Noah's Ark is similar. The word used for the ark in the flood story is the same word that is used for the basket that Moses is placed in. This could have two meanings: tebat could mean basket or box or the word was used in Exodus to describe the safety and unsinkable features of Moses' basket. What is clear is that the word for boat (oniyah) isn't used when describing the ark.