Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
18-12-2014, 04:39 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(18-12-2014 04:15 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  One of my favorite sites:
http://www.futuretimeline.net/index.htm#timeline

1 minute = 1,000,000,000 earth years.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2014, 04:45 PM
(18-12-2014 04:38 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  This may be the most important question any one has asked you yet so take your time before answering ok?

so buddy, are you going to buy me one or two beers when we next see each other? Smile I just got to Alabama a few hours ago by the way, long fucking drive

Working on that.

Whether or not I'm going to be able to leave LA any time soon is in question. I'll keep you posted, though.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-12-2014, 04:52 PM
(18-12-2014 04:36 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(18-12-2014 04:23 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  The idea was that if a second god existed, and gods are omniscience (I don't see why they wouldn't be except for the logical problems) then it's behaviour would be the same as the first god, making it functionally impossible to distinguish which is which.

Got ya.

However, in order for them to be indistinguishable they would each have to be O3.

You could have 2 different omniscient beings.

Not just omniscience? Why would the other two matter here?

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
18-12-2014, 04:55 PM
(18-12-2014 04:52 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  
(18-12-2014 04:36 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Got ya.

However, in order for them to be indistinguishable they would each have to be O3.

You could have 2 different omniscient beings.

Not just omniscience? Why would the other two matter here?

Why would it?

Why would infinite knowledge be required to be in only one being?

Why can't two beings have infinite knowledge?

18-12-2014, 05:13 PM
^I'm saying that two beings with access to all the same information would make the same decisions and behave in the same way.

Even if one of them is (all powerful)+ and the other is (all loving)- they're essentially the same "person."

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
18-12-2014, 06:04 PM
What's it like being you? lol. you know, being theist, in an atheist forums, 165 rep, a 300+ page thread all about you and one of the cool kids on the block of these forums lol!?

You clearly have some sort of X factor that makes you as awesome as you are, what's yo secret? Laugh out load

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
18-12-2014, 09:09 PM
(18-12-2014 04:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(18-12-2014 04:52 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Not just omniscience? Why would the other two matter here?

Why would it?

Why would infinite knowledge be required to be in only one being?

‘Cause then they would know what the other one was thinking?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
21-12-2014, 07:58 AM
Apologies that I have not read this huge thread.

I'm curious about Christian conceptions of Jesus. In your view....

Was Jesus God taking on a human form so we humans could relate to Him? Is Jesus not really a human type entity in heaven, but only on Earth?

As example, if we discover a million intelligent non-human civilizations across the Milky Way galaxy, what is their relationship with Jesus? Are these aliens ruled over by a human Jesus, or would God present Himself to these aliens in an alien form?

Is Jesus human only in his relationship to us? Or is his human-like appearance/existence somehow more universal?

Is Jesus a messenger whose specialty is humans? Or does He have a universal relevance to all things and creatures everywhere?

Thanks!
21-12-2014, 10:57 AM
(18-12-2014 04:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Why would infinite knowledge be required to be in only one being?

I'd have to work it out but my intuition is that it would lead to an infinite regress or Russell's paradox.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
23-12-2014, 04:58 PM
(18-12-2014 05:13 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  ^I'm saying that two beings with access to all the same information would make the same decisions and behave in the same way.

Why?

Complete power would affect a decision based on infinite knowledge differently than limited power would with infinite knowledge.

I mean... I still don't see how you can say that beings infinite knowledge would make the same decisions.

Infinite knowledge is also knowledge of middle knowledge; therefore, the power that the being has would definitely affect which path it would take.

Quote:Even if one of them is (all powerful)+ and the other is (all loving)- they're essentially the same "person."

Why? I disagree. An all powerful being doesn't have to be omni-benevolent?

Also, where did omni-benevolence come from? The Christian God isn't this.