Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
30-12-2011, 12:20 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(29-12-2011 11:49 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  But, that doesn't mean we can't have productive, good conversation.

Don't see how it could be productive otherwise. If we didn't have differing opinions it would just be one giant circle jerk.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-12-2011, 12:36 AM
(30-12-2011 12:20 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-12-2011 11:49 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  But, that doesn't mean we can't have productive, good conversation.

Don't see how it could be productive otherwise. If we didn't have differing opinions it would just be one giant circle jerk.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
30-12-2011, 11:40 AM
(29-12-2011 12:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Nah, dude. I was just wanting you to (try) disprove me. It's things like this that cause me to become less ignorant and more learned; thus, evolving my beliefs. I know you don't want to argue atheists vs theist or theist vs theist, but I was just interested in what you were going to say.

It would cause me to try and strengthen my argument or do research to find a better answer.

Wow, I keep forgetting how selfish your religious dogma makes you, but you don't fail to remind me every once in a while.

Why would I go through that kind of effort and work just to entertain you? I don't have anything to learn from it, the outcome is completely meaningless to both of us, your fundamental position is unshiftable and your only arguments consist in moving the goal posts and making shit up. If debating is a sport or a game to you, you're cheating. I don't want to play with you.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
30-12-2011, 11:43 AM
(30-12-2011 11:40 AM)Malleus Wrote:  
(29-12-2011 12:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Nah, dude. I was just wanting you to (try) disprove me. It's things like this that cause me to become less ignorant and more learned; thus, evolving my beliefs. I know you don't want to argue atheists vs theist or theist vs theist, but I was just interested in what you were going to say.

It would cause me to try and strengthen my argument or do research to find a better answer.

Wow, I keep forgetting how selfish your religious dogma makes you, but you don't fail to remind me every once in a while.

Why would I go through that kind of effort and work just to entertain you? I don't have anything to learn from it, the outcome is completely meaningless to both of us, your fundamental position is unshiftable and your only arguments consist in moving the goal posts and making shit up. If debating is a sport or a game to you, you're cheating. I don't want to play with you.

Didn't mean it to come across like that. I just enjoy good conversation. Sorry man.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
30-12-2011, 11:45 AM
I still love you

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
30-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Well, let me give a question that I always reserve for very very passive religious people.

I will need to to comment on whether or not you agree with the following statements and how you coincide them with your current beliefs. Keep it mind, correct me if I am wrong in my rhetoric statements.

You stated the bible is your main source of validity for believing so... Can we at least say for a moment that it is more likely that the book was written entirely by cynical men and it has no bearing on any form of divinity at all? I only say this because it is all we have to go off of, a book, from the past, written by men.

Second, you answered this earlier, I would just like it consolidated into this response. The feelings/thoughts you claim or presume to be god could just be wishful thinking combined with chemicals in the brain deluding you? Along with the events that happened it your favor, coincidence? After all you do have a 1 in 7billion chance, so can we really say the events were that far fetched to have happen by chance or possible influence by you and family members/friends?

In hindsight of these previous questions, wouldn't it be more reasonable to be a deist or rather a theist without a religious title (aka Christian) considering there really is no ties other than pure wishful thinking to choose one particular faith?

Detailed I know, thanks for bearing with me.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
30-12-2011, 02:11 PM
(29-12-2011 09:12 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(27-12-2011 03:48 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  This has probably been asked before but I wonder what your take is on this:

Why do theists insist on bothering with continuously pushing their dogma on atheists when we are damned no matter what we do. The reason I say this is because of this particular scripture:

but whosoever shall blaspheme against the Holy Spirit hath never forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin - Mark 3:29

Doesn't this negate any reason to start believing in such things. Why would an atheist even bother (if an atheist would even consider converting), we obviously already blaspheme the holy spirit.

Get that claptrap outta KC's way, silly atheist. Big Grin

I'm an atheist with Holy Spirit; what's that all about? Personally, it's hilarity. Holy Spirit is the atheist's best friend. See the agenda in Mark? The Holy Spirit - yeah, that's agenda; Christian agenda. In 2007 the Rational Responders promoted this bit of senseless sensationalism in which all who "testified to the blaspheme against the Holy Spirit" were given a copy of The God Delusion; days of infamy in my book. I mighta been atheist back then if it weren't for those clowns... the relevance here is in having heard the apologist response. "The official Christian cover story," as it were, that one cannot "blaspheme the Holy Spirit" as such a proscription only refers to Jesus and his Epic Title Match with Satan... Satan... Satan... That only Jesus could have "blaspehemed the Holy Spirit," and he didn't, so there!

Which is a cover story, and can be interpreted from the text. That blaspheme the Holy Spirit means to deny the Christ. They used it for their own nefarious purposes, them Christians. Tongue

But I'm not here for or against, I'm here giving props to KC for sticking it out these 31 pages. Na-na-na^ na-na-na...

HoC,

You seem like an alright guy but just once I'd like to get a clear and straight forward post from ya. Some of your posts are full of philosophy and blah I can't stand that mess lol. Anyway thanks for bringing my post from the dead. I was wondering if KC was going to miss it.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-12-2011, 02:28 PM
(30-12-2011 02:11 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  Anyway thanks for bringing my post from the dead. I was wondering if KC was going to miss it.

YeaH KC's been missing posts alot lately ... starting to wonder if he's been drinking the punch from Egor's punch bowl. I'd go back and dig up stuff but... I think my last post was more of a statement than a question. So I'll leave it where it is. Let the man dig it up if he chooses. Anyhow I'd hang around a bit longer and type some more off topic shit but I've got a red head with big boobs to go visit in another post. Cya.....

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like ddrew's post
30-12-2011, 02:52 PM
(30-12-2011 02:28 PM)ddrew Wrote:  
(30-12-2011 02:11 PM)Clint Barnett Wrote:  Anyway thanks for bringing my post from the dead. I was wondering if KC was going to miss it.

YeaH KC's been missing posts alot lately ... starting to wonder if he's been drinking the punch from Egor's punch bowl. I'd go back and dig up stuff but... I think my last post was more of a statement than a question. So I'll leave it where it is. Let the man dig it up if he chooses. Anyhow I'd hang around a bit longer and type some more off topic shit but I've got a red head with big boobs to go visit in another post. Cya.....

I'll get to it.

Sheesh.

Needy git.

By the way, I had Shiner Blonde last night. Awesome.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
30-12-2011, 02:59 PM
(28-12-2011 10:19 PM)Bairny Wrote:  Here's one.

Do you consider all parts of the bible to be essential or is it more prudent to only tick off areas that are applicable?

I believe all.

Quote:To give the question (which has been asked in various forms) some substance, I'll point out that I'm not trying to trap you or suggest that you SHOULD believe in every inch of the good book. I'm simply curious to see if you're willing to see the bible as having 'good' and 'bad' concepts or as being 'sometimes relevant' or 'sometimes irrelevant'.

Well, it certainly has good and bad in it, but I think our definitions are different. I think you're saying that the Bible teaches some "bad" things ie morally wrong, heinous acts. I see these as part of God's plan (which I really don't feel like typing out... again).

Yes, the Bible teaches "bad" things, but I believe they are for a purpose and for lessons.
[/quote]

KC, I wasn't necessarily saying that the Bible teaches 'bad things', I was simply suggesting that only some of it may be relevant in the modern age. I was asking if you are willing to say - at times - "well, I can't do that".

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter!"

-Yoda-