Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
03-01-2012, 11:23 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(03-01-2012 11:02 AM)ddrew Wrote:  I think I'm going to worship the Viking Gods... I'll do some research on their infallible books of the Viking Gods.. Hail to Odin, Thor and Frey!

I need a ship and crew. Time to set sail and conqour.

Here's a start on the books, etc. The Norse Gods

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-01-2012, 11:35 AM
(03-01-2012 11:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-01-2012 11:02 AM)ddrew Wrote:  I think I'm going to worship the Viking Gods... I'll do some research on their infallible books of the Viking Gods.. Hail to Odin, Thor and Frey!

thanks I"ll get right on it.. damn big list.. gotta start somewhere.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
03-01-2012, 08:09 PM
(03-01-2012 11:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Don't they have a Brick Testament to make it easier on us?

http://www.bricktestament.com/

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
06-01-2012, 04:34 AM
I didn't know where to ask this, so I'm asking here.

I was talking with my mom and grandma about how Jesus wasn't born on Christmas (whether its December 25 or January 6), when my grandma said that he lived a long time ago. In fact, she said he lived millions of years ago :lmao

So, is there a sect in Christianity I'm not aware of that believes such a thing , or is my grandma the only "Christian" that thinks so? lol
06-01-2012, 06:21 AM
That's funny and cute, but no, she's just naive. She didn't hear that one in church

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
This is my last post as an Atheist. I have evolved, I feel the same peace and power that I found years ago as a Christian seeker. I believe the only thing atheism will produce are the same things it is famous for, Stalin, Hitler and cold heartedness towards others. I believe that every mind which is not connected to the Pure Energy of the universe is really not alive or capable of feeling real love & peace. I will still stay a member of this forum if you are ok with it. Maybe I will post or discuss things on ocassion.

[Image: Pure%252520Energy.jpg]

Something, Or Someone Is Really Out There!
06-01-2012, 09:42 AM
(06-01-2012 09:30 AM)Infidel Wrote:  This is my last post as an Atheist. I have evolved, I feel the same peace and power that I found years ago as a Christian seeker. I believe the only thing atheism will produce are the same things it is famous for, Stalin, Hitler and cold heartedness towards others. I believe that every mind which is not connected to the Pure Energy of the universe is really not alive or capable of feeling real love & peace. I will still stay a member of this forum if you are ok with it. Maybe I will post or discuss things on ocassion.
Your assessment of atheism is way off the mark; atheism didn't produce those things.
You have traded one delusion for another.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
06-01-2012, 11:09 AM
(06-01-2012 04:34 AM)Vlad Wrote:  I didn't know where to ask this, so I'm asking here.

I was talking with my mom and grandma about how Jesus wasn't born on Christmas (whether its December 25 or January 6), when my grandma said that he lived a long time ago. In fact, she said he lived millions of years ago :lmao

So, is there a sect in Christianity I'm not aware of that believes such a thing , or is my grandma the only "Christian" that thinks so? lol

I have honestly never heard what your grandmother believes before.

About the December 25th thing, I actually blatantly laugh at Christians who think that.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
06-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Oi KC, question for ya. You said you're keen on evolution right?

Now I just read Luke Chapter 3 today which gives a pretty specific genealogy for Christ linking all the way back to Adam - and there's no way that Adam was a hominid or even early Homo sapiens 'cos there's not enough generations.

What gives? A: why this spurious genealogy if indeed spurious? B: If not, how do you square with evolution? By my reading of the chapter it's pretty clear to me that no metaphor or hidden meaning was intended, it's just a straightforward listing of begats. (I have heard that other gospel's begat lists differ too, but that's prob a minor annoyance).

PS: No worries if you don't know the answer - I don't know why lots of things work... just this would def cause a hang up for me if I was of your persuasion.

PPS: Of course YEC dudes just say "is fine, only that many generations 'cos that's how long Earth has *actually* been around".
06-01-2012, 02:51 PM
(06-01-2012 02:19 PM)morondog Wrote:  Oi KC, question for ya. You said you're keen on evolution right?

Now I just read Luke Chapter 3 today which gives a pretty specific genealogy for Christ linking all the way back to Adam - and there's no way that Adam was a hominid or even early Homo sapiens 'cos there's not enough generations.

What gives? A: why this spurious genealogy if indeed spurious? B: If not, how do you square with evolution? By my reading of the chapter it's pretty clear to me that no metaphor or hidden meaning was intended, it's just a straightforward listing of begats. (I have heard that other gospel's begat lists differ too, but that's prob a minor annoyance).

PS: No worries if you don't know the answer - I don't know why lots of things work... just this would def cause a hang up for me if I was of your persuasion.

PPS: Of course YEC dudes just say "is fine, only that many generations 'cos that's how long Earth has *actually* been around".

Ha. You're lucky. This is fresh in my head. I was just discussing this with my brother last week.

First, my Genesis framework needs to be established:

1) Normal evolution (as stated by science) occurred on earth.
2) Humanity eventually evolved.
3) God ordained humanity and placed His image upon us.
4) Adam was a literal man.
5) God made a covenant with Adam.
6) Adam and Eve weren’t the first humans; they were the first of God’s chosen.
7) I believe that Hebrew oral history predates other histories; however, their written does not.
8) The creation story of Genesis is written as cosmology – a way to convey a story to an audience.
9) The creation account is not meant to be taken literally; however, Adam was a literal person. The language of the creation story shifts from exalted to narrative when it begins with literal Adam’s history.
10) The Hebrews understood Adam as a “beginning” and he became synonymous with “origins”. He became known as an archetype for humanity according to the understanding of the Hebrews because he was the first of God’s chosen.
11) The cosmology of the creation story uses the concept of this Adamic beginning/archetype and conveys a story to the readers in a way that they would understand God’s covenant and purpose.
12) There was a literal Adam and a figurative Adam. The literal Adam’s symbolism of what he represented was used as a language (story).

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post