Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
06-01-2012, 03:10 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
Lol. Don't think you even broke a sweat Tongue

Who was that crazy joker who reinterpreted Aristotle i.t.o. Christianity? Wasn't it Thomas Aquinas or... St Augustine I think it was actually. St Augustine of Hippo. (Damn I wish I came from Hippo Tongue Coolest town name ever.) You're basically a modern day version of him KC - taking the latest thinking on how the world works and reinterpreting your scriptures in terms of them... it's a noble tradition. Um... there's a special word... aha! syncretism. I do believe that is what you're up to Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-01-2012, 03:14 PM
(06-01-2012 03:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  Lol. Don't think you even broke a sweat Tongue

Who was that crazy joker who reinterpreted Aristotle i.t.o. Christianity? Wasn't it Thomas Aquinas or... St Augustine I think it was actually. St Augustine of Hippo. (Damn I wish I came from Hippo Tongue Coolest town name ever.) You're basically a modern day version of him KC - taking the latest thinking on how the world works and reinterpreting your scriptures in terms of them... it's a noble tradition. Um... there's a special word... aha! syncretism. I do believe that is what you're up to Smile

haha

Well, maybe. But, my interpretations are my own and I'll never claim that they are absolute truth. I do find that they are the most consistent, though. As my understanding of things change and as my depth of knowledge of theology grew, my theology evolved and is (as far as I know) completely reconciled.

But thank you Smile I appreciate that.

And yeah, being from Hippo would be awesome.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
06-01-2012, 08:16 PM
(06-01-2012 03:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well, maybe. But, my interpretations are my own and I'll never claim that they are absolute truth. I do find that they are the most consistent, though. As my understanding of things change and as my depth of knowledge of theology grew, my theology evolved and is (as far as I know) completely reconciled.

There's your problem. Reconciliation is a goal that can never be achieved only aspired to. When you decide it's reconciled, you have surrendered. ... I think you are currently metaphysically constipated, brother.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-01-2012, 10:01 PM
If I said that I was your god, embodied in this human form, would you believe me ? Even after every test performed on me confirmed that I am no different than any other human, would you believe that I am your god ? I'm not going to offer any proof. You must take it on faith. If I assert that I am the living embodiment of your god, could you accept that ? If not, Why ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
07-01-2012, 12:22 AM
(06-01-2012 10:01 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  If I said that I was your god, embodied in this human form, would you believe me ? Even after every test performed on me confirmed that I am no different than any other human, would you believe that I am your god ? I'm not going to offer any proof. You must take it on faith. If I assert that I am the living embodiment of your god, could you accept that ? If not, Why ?

'Cos the living embodiment of his God would surely not invite any sort of comment on whether or not he was telling the truth Wink
07-01-2012, 02:11 PM
The reason I asked my previous question is because I would assume that most Christians, upon hearing me say that I was the embodiment of god, would then ask me to PROVE IT. In other words "Please provide us with evidence that you are the embodiment of god". My reply would be "You never needed any evidence before, why do you need any now ? The only thing that has changed is that you can now visibly see me in human form"

Has anything changed other than that ? NO, not at all. You can no more disprove that I am god than you could before. My own actions will simply be the actions of any normal human being. So how could you possibly discern the truth of my statements ? You couldn't. You would either have to believe it on faith or not. Atheists would say the same thing as they should always say "I don't believe the claim you are making because there isn't sufficient evidence". In this instance on my claim of being the embodiment of god, I think many theists would also take the Atheist point of view.

But then again, I could be wrong - After all, I am god aren't I ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
09-01-2012, 08:29 AM
(06-01-2012 10:01 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  If I said that I was your god, embodied in this human form, would you believe me ? Even after every test performed on me confirmed that I am no different than any other human, would you believe that I am your god ? I'm not going to offer any proof. You must take it on faith. If I assert that I am the living embodiment of your god, could you accept that ? If not, Why ?

That's really an interesting question. The obvious answer is "no", but I started to think about the "why" behind it.

I'll get back with you on that one. I have to think about it for a bit.

09-01-2012, 02:23 PM
(09-12-2011 03:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Step right up, folks! Come one, come all. Come see the strange, intoxicating, and completely mind boggling views of a...

THEIST

Now, before we begin, a few ground rules:

1) I am not here to convert you, and you are not here to convert me.
B) I am well aware you don't agree with my beliefs.
5) This is for educational purposes.
Lastly) I will explain things from a theist point of view (Christian - Calvinist).
3) The Bible is a valid authority for my beliefs.

I will do my best to answer your queries as honestly and completely as I know how.

Sir. I'm a bit serious here.
I guess my question to you concerns what method(s) you use to confirm or deny any concepts supporting or refuting the positions you hold?
I fear your current method is flawed leading you to flawed conclusions.
You mention that "The Bible is a valid authority for my beliefs.", yet you hold a limited and special view of it according to your own "specs".
Surely you see some of the errors within it which is why your particular position is all your own. It is my opinion that you have tailored it just for your own individual use without using proper scrutiny.
It seems errors are likely to be made without some proper guidelines and thought processes to ferret out what is most likely true or false.
The most effective tool ever invented, refined and used by humanity to determine correctness has been The Scientific Method.
It works very well, having increased the human life span four fold among a few other milestones, yet it can not get to your position no matter how hard it tries.
Apparently, you reject such methodology or surely you would not hold the positions you do.
The Bible to my knowledge gives no method to determine who is or who is not a witch other than wait for a vision or something intangible. Yet it commands that they be killed. Yikes.
What method, as a Christian that uses the Bible as a valid authority for your beliefs, would YOU use to determine something like whether a witch, as defined in the bible, exists or whether they do not exist?
Maybe put yourself in the position of defending one of your kids from the inquisition after he/she had been dubbed a witch/demon?
Can you do it? Maybe more importantly, WOULD you do it? Would you argue the silliness of not using a reasoned method to determine their guilt or watch them light the fire beneath them while clinging to your faith?
TY.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2012, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 04:42 PM by kingschosen.)
(09-01-2012 08:29 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

That's really an interesting question. The obvious answer is "no", but I started to think about the "why" behind it.

I'll get back with you on that one. I have to think about it for a bit.

Okay.

Christ lived a sinless life. He performed miracles and raised from the dead. Now, I don't have physical evidence for any of this besides the Bible (which is faith based). I'm assuming your life would not live up to this scrutiny, so, you are not worthy to be worshiped.
(09-01-2012 02:23 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  I guess my question to you concerns what method(s) you use to confirm or deny any concepts supporting or refuting the positions you hold?
I fear your current method is flawed leading you to flawed conclusions.
You mention that "The Bible is a valid authority for my beliefs.", yet you hold a limited and special view of it according to your own "specs".
Surely you see some of the errors within it which is why your particular position is all your own. It is my opinion that you have tailored it just for your own individual use without using proper scrutiny.

As I’ve stated before, I’m don’t just arbitrarily take part of the Bible literally and another part figuratively. I study the history, language, context, and intended audience to discern what the text says. The conclusion has to be consistent with other all Biblical teachings and theology. Likewise, these my concluded beliefs about theology aren’t originated by me but by other Christian theologians. I simply subscribe to their interpretation or the interpretation that is the most consistent and unbending to biblical teachings.

Each of my theological stances has been carefully considered and evaluated without haste.

(09-01-2012 02:23 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  The Bible to my knowledge gives no method to determine who is or who is not a witch other than wait for a vision or something intangible. Yet it commands that they be killed. Yikes.
What method, as a Christian that uses the Bible as a valid authority for your beliefs, would YOU use to determine something like whether a witch, as defined in the bible, exists or whether they do not exist?
Maybe put yourself in the position of defending one of your kids from the inquisition after he/she had been dubbed a witch/demon?
Can you do it? Maybe more importantly, WOULD you do it? Would you argue the silliness of not using a reasoned method to determine their guilt or watch them light the fire beneath them while clinging to your faith?
TY.

Another interesting question...

The "witch" thing in the Bible was an instruction to the Jews to keep the Messianic line free from paganism. Again, as I've stated numerous times, the Levitical codes and purity laws were for the Jews.

As for if my child was accused of being a witch, I would hope and plea with the locals to reconsider their accusations. If they did not reconsider, I would probably die defending my child. For years, people have misused biblical instructions and killed in the name of God under false pretenses.

My faith in God would not be shaken, as I know that it would be people killing us after their own delusions and by their own depraved human nature. Also, I accept the will of God - if that was His will, then that would be it.

09-01-2012, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 05:07 PM by TalladegaTom.)
As I’ve stated before, I’m don’t just arbitrarily take part of the Bible literally and another part figuratively. I study the history, language, context, and intended audience to discern what the text says. The conclusion has to be consistent with other all Biblical teachings and theology. Likewise, these my concluded beliefs about theology aren’t originated by me but by other Christian theologians. I simply subscribe to their interpretation or the interpretation that is the most consistent and unbending to biblical teachings.

Each of my theological stances has been carefully considered and evaluated without haste.

[/quote]

Sir, that is the most namby-pamby answer I have heard in a while.
Lets be real here for a second.

What is your method to determine which parts are true and which parts are not?
Your method is to "simply subscribe to their interpretation or the interpretation that is the most consistent" with what you like to hear.
The study of History, Language, and the context is a good idea. You gathered the data but you prefer not to collate it with a universally applied and accepted method.
It is your particular interpretation by feel that is "right" to you.
Apparently, you really don't have an honest way to determine which article of faith is true.

They've got your daughter tied to the stake but they are still gathering wood.
There is still time to save her from a death by delusion.
The god fearing are ready to set her on fire because someone called her a witch and she was judged so.
The judge, having had a "vision" overnight and using "interpretation that is the most consistent" to unbending biblical teachings has agreed she is a witch but will listen to your final plea.
How do you plan to stop it? What's it going to be? Death by delusion or life by reason?
Hurry! There coming with a lit torch!
Unless your daughter is a witch.....Wink

"I would hope and plea with the locals to reconsider their accusations."

Great.
What arguments would you use?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TalladegaTom's post