Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
24-01-2012, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2012 10:08 AM by kingschosen.)
RE: Ask a Theist!
(20-01-2012 05:51 PM)Reactor Wrote:  I am really sorry but i think I made a critical mistake in the question. Undecided
I used present simple instead of past simple. I wanted to know what where your thoughts back then when you started thinking the supernatural was the cause. How you ruled out all the other possible supernatural causes?
If your answer remain the same this lead me to the conclusion that you didn't tried a lot to find an answer but you rather picked the one you was more familiar and fitted better with you.

None of the other holy books explained what happened to me. I searched for an explanation, but the Bible was only one that gave me an answer. I finally new why I didn't have a choice in my sudden revelation and acceptance of the supernatural.
(20-01-2012 11:01 PM)ElectricEthan Wrote:  My question: Do you think I'm going to hell? I'm an atheist btw.

I'm a morally upstanding citizen as well.

If you are not elect, then yes, you are going to hell.
(20-01-2012 11:14 PM)AstralMystic Wrote:  I wish to add a question as well. Hopefully this one hasn't already been posted, but of course with 49 pages to this topic, I can't be certain. Anyway, one thing I've come to wonder about, is why would a loving and merciful god sentence sinful or unsaved souls to eternal punishment in hell? When you think about it, the earthly equivalent to that would be a child steals from a store or something and his parents decide to beat him with a pointed stick until he's in an old age home, stopping every few days only to run him over with their truck! Of course even that doesn't begin to cover it because our poor guy in this outlandish example will eventually escape by dying. A soul of course cannot die however, so eternal punishment really does mean forever. I've so often thought that as humans we have a hard time truly comprehending what forever would be like.

It seems like overkill, I know to punish your own child for his whole life for one mistake, so why shouldn't we assume the idea of hell is overkill too? I'll be blunt and honest here, I'd have a very hard time, seeing a god who can punish forever as loving. Why, in your opinion, would he not still take the "good" children to heaven, but simply destroy the rest quickly and humanely? He wouldn't have to deal with them ever again, but also there would be no eternal torment either.

Sin and evil were the necessity for the Son's purpose. God's grace was enough that He chose some to save from damnation.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2012, 11:45 AM
I appreciate the responses KC. Not sure how to respond right now/not sure if there is really anything to respond to. If I come up with any additional questions I will be back!

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
24-01-2012, 12:22 PM
"If you are not elect, then yes,I believe that beyond all rational thought you are going to hell. And I'm sorry, I'll try and put in a good word." - KingsChosen

Fixed.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
24-01-2012, 01:18 PM
(24-01-2012 12:22 PM)lucradis Wrote:  "If you are not elect, then yes,I believe that beyond all rational thought you are going to hell. And I'm sorry, I'll try and put in a good word." - KingsChosen

Fixed.

Yep.

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
24-01-2012, 01:20 PM
(24-01-2012 12:22 PM)lucradis Wrote:  "If you are not elect, then yes,I believe that beyond all rational thought you are going to hell. And I'm sorry, I'll try and put in a good word." - KingsChosen

Fixed.

But my God won't listen anyway, in fact I might as well be shouting at a wall, except a wall won't fry all my friends later...

Still, absolutely not worth a shot, but I'll put a word in.

Fixed fixed Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
24-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Oh I understand this "elect" thing now.
Just picture god as that WWII German guy standing in the train yard directing certain people one way and others down a different and rather ghoulish path.
God has the same plan for his own creation apparently.

Makes no sense to me, but looking through god glasses, all things are possible.
[+] 3 users Like TalladegaTom's post
24-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Right here's one for you kc.

If a train leaves newyork at 10am traveling at 70mph, and another train leaves Washington dc at 11.30 am traveling at 60mph. The first train makes 2 stops. at both stops 10 passengers get off and 15 get on

How long will it be before you realise that this isn't a question and I've only posted it to distract you while we attempt a deconversion on you Tongue

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
24-01-2012, 02:30 PM
KingsChosen,

Are god's magical powers due to supernatural abilities, or do they use scientific principles we don't yet understand?
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
24-01-2012, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2012 04:23 PM by kingschosen.)
(24-01-2012 02:25 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Right here's one for you kc.

If a train leaves newyork at 10am traveling at 70mph, and another train leaves Washington dc at 11.30 am traveling at 60mph. The first train makes 2 stops. at both stops 10 passengers get off and 15 get on

How long will it be before you realise that this isn't a question and I've only posted it to distract you while we attempt a deconversion on you Tongue

If a train
(24-01-2012 02:30 PM)Jeff Wrote:  KingsChosen,

Are god's magical powers due to supernatural abilities, or do they use scientific principles we don't yet understand?

I don't know.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
24-01-2012, 04:39 PM
(24-01-2012 02:30 PM)Jeff Wrote:  KingsChosen,

Ooh, I LOVE this point Jeff!
Because IF god works miracles here, on our little rock in the universe, it must conform to this universe's laws of physics to do so....and we could detect it.
To say otherwise opens up a mega sized bag of worms.
Why does god hate amputees etc.?