Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
26-01-2012, 02:03 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(26-01-2012 01:57 PM)lucradis Wrote:  hey Kings, I almost posted this in the other thread that is becoming like a redo of this one. Whoops.

Anyways, what is your take on Harry Potter and the like. I'm going to assume that you are fairly realistic on the front of entertainment. That you can probably see the difference between real danger and fantasy danger... but I don't know for sure because of your stance on the bible.

I want to headbutt every Christian in the nose that says Harry Potter is evil. It's funny because they'll buy their kids Star Wars and LOTR toys and let them play WoW but not EVIL HARRY POTTER!

Stupid people are stupid. No other way to say it.

I've also also challenged these goobers to explain to me how Harry Potter is evil and how their Super Christian Author C.S. Lewis' Narnia isn't.

Also Lucradis, just so we don't end up with two of the same threads... maybe we should merge the two?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Everytime I merge a thread shit gets messed up. It puts them into order of timeline, not in any kind of readable order. No way around it unfortunately. If the other one wasn't so long already I'd do it. So stop replying so quickly.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2012, 02:10 PM
(26-01-2012 02:10 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Everytime I merge a thread shit gets messed up. It puts them into order of timeline, not in any kind of readable order. No way around it unfortunately. If the other one wasn't so long already I'd do it. So stop replying so quickly.

lol are you telling me to let it die?

26-01-2012, 02:13 PM
I would never. The harder you have to work on here, the better I feel about myself. Plus at least your boss is getting his moneys worth. Wink

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2012, 02:38 PM
KC I was reading Luke 16 today, what is this garbled stuff about? Quote is from NIV, can't remember which you said was your preferred version.

Quote:1 Jesus told his disciples: “There was a rich man whose manager was accused of wasting his possessions. 2 So he called him in and asked him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your management, because you cannot be manager any longer.’
3 “The manager said to himself, ‘What shall I do now? My master is taking away my job. I’m not strong enough to dig, and I’m ashamed to beg— 4 I know what I’ll do so that, when I lose my job here, people will welcome me into their houses.’

5 “So he called in each one of his master’s debtors. He asked the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’

6 “‘Nine hundred gallons[a] of olive oil,’ he replied.

“The manager told him, ‘Take your bill, sit down quickly, and make it four hundred and fifty.’

7 “Then he asked the second, ‘And how much do you owe?’

“‘A thousand bushels[b] of wheat,’ he replied.

“He told him, ‘Take your bill and make it eight hundred.’

8 “The master commended the dishonest manager because he had acted shrewdly. For the people of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own kind than are the people of the light. 9 I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings.

10 “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much. 11 So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches? 12 And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else’s property, who will give you property of your own?

I don't get it??? The master commended the guy? Why? He'd just used the masters wealth to screw him over. Is verse 9 saying you can buy your way into heaven?

The version I read it in was NKJV which says:

Quote:8 So the master commended the unjust steward because he had dealt shrewdly. For the sons of this world are more shrewd in their generation than the sons of light.

9 “And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail,[c] they may receive you into an everlasting home. 10 He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much. 11 Therefore if you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? 12 And if you have not been faithful in what is another man’s, who will give you what is your own?

This here talks about doing stuff with "unrighteous mammon" which sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than "worldly wealth" in the NIV?
26-01-2012, 02:55 PM
@morondog

Master was mad at the manager for not collecting.
Fires manager.
Manager whines and says, "What am I supposed to do?"
Manager calls in debtors and tells them to lie about what they owe so it makes the manager look better that there is less that he hasn't collected.
Master is impressed with the quick thinking and shrewdness of the manager even though he is cheated.

And no, verse 9 isn't. It's the master talking to the manager.

This whole story was a blatant dig at the Pharisees.

26-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Tx for the reply. Just seemed like a very weird set of verses...
26-01-2012, 03:37 PM
(26-01-2012 11:13 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  If you are not elect then you go to hell.

I don't understand what this means - please explain.
26-01-2012, 03:41 PM
(26-01-2012 03:37 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(26-01-2012 11:13 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  If you are not elect then you go to hell.

I don't understand what this means - please explain.

I believe in the Doctrine of Election. Basically, God chose those whom He was going to save from hell before the beginning of time. These are known as the "elect". If you are not elect, nothing can save you from hell as you are predestined to it.

26-01-2012, 06:23 PM
(26-01-2012 03:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I believe in the Doctrine of Election. Basically, God chose those whom He was going to save from hell before the beginning of time. These are known as the "elect". If you are not elect, nothing can save you from hell as you are predestined to it.

Interesting point of view. So behavior on earth has zero to do with where you'll end up? For example an unelected baby aborted in month 8 will go directly to hell? An elected serial killer could choke on the bones of a victim and wake up in heaven? Please don't take offense, and I didn't think it was possible, but this makes religion sound even more silly to me. Is this seriously your belief system? Are you able to detect whether you are elected or not?