Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
29-01-2012, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2012 09:22 AM by Reactor.)
RE: Ask a Theist!
Can someone tell me what incompro-speech means? Sad (i couldn't find it anywhere)
I got a cool "totally" hypothetical question. If all the religions in the world are wrong(including yours) and god doesn't exist, does the religions have,had or will have any meaning in the world or are they was or will be any helpful for man kind? And lastly do you think that your own religion (with all that elect thing) is any beneficial for people.(also point out which religion is the most beneficial if any)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2012, 10:23 AM
(27-01-2012 12:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(27-01-2012 12:14 PM)Jeff Wrote:  OK I want to make sure I'm getting this correctly. So god created a list a long time ago of every human who would or will ever be born, and decided in advance, person by person, name by name, which would go to heaven

Yes

Quote:and which would go to hell.,

No. By default, since they weren't elect, they were damned to hell. The damnation is passive.

How is it passive? You are actively selecting from a list of people, not choosing people is a conscious act. If there was a row of 100 innocent prisoners, all about to be executed, and I could spare any that I pointed to, I would be pointing to all of them. There has to be a reason he didn't choose to elect everybody, just like I'd have to have a reason for selecting only some of the prisoners for salvation.

Also, who created hell? Is hell not a construct of God anyway?

Better without God, and happier too.
29-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Related to Egor's response in another thread:

KC, do you think God takes pleasure in burning people in hell?

If so, do you think this is right and moral? Even if God exists and you're elect, is there any reason other than fear to follow such a vicious God?
29-01-2012, 11:58 AM
(29-01-2012 08:58 AM)Reactor Wrote:  Can someone tell me what incompro-speech means? Sad (i couldn't find it anywhere)
I got a cool "totally" hypothetical question. If all the religions in the world are wrong(including yours) and god doesn't exist, does the religions have,had or will have any meaning in the world or are they was or will be any helpful for man kind? And lastly do you think that your own religion (with all that elect thing) is any beneficial for people.(also point out which religion is the most beneficial if any)

Incomprehensible speech; incoherent idea.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-01-2012, 12:03 PM
(29-01-2012 11:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-01-2012 08:58 AM)Reactor Wrote:  Can someone tell me what incompro-speech means?

Incomprehensible speech; incoherent idea.

jibba jabba, gobbledygook, blather

#sigh
29-01-2012, 12:13 PM
(29-01-2012 08:58 AM)Reactor Wrote:  Can someone tell me what incompro-speech means? Sad (i couldn't find it anywhere)

Reactor, it's my own term for the incomprehensible bible-esque speech style used by believers. It's generally meant to sound authoritative. At best it's a bad habit that simply reflects the believers frequency of use. At worst it's used by believers when they don't really know why they believe something.
29-01-2012, 01:46 PM
(29-01-2012 12:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(28-01-2012 09:29 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Regardless the reason for why god sent you to earth first, and this is a serious question, why not just kill yourself now? Since you are elect, and there are no implications for what you do here on earth, why not just give your money and possessions to some needy un-elect family, and kill yourself and your family so you can get on with the good times in heaven?

I'm actually surprised as to how common this question is... I think this is the third or fourth time I've been asked. I cannot kill myself or my family because it's against God's plan. I couldn't do it if I wanted to. God has also given me the desire to love myself and my family and I cannot act outside of those desires. God has also given me the desire of life and to live it fully. That's something that I can't act outside of.

Ha - it's a broken record to many here. Non-Theists are faced with this query from Theists on a fairly consistent basis.

The curious state it in the form of a question... the ignorant throw it out as a suggestion... the arrogant will outright demand it.

Silly me; on my own, I've never thought to ask such a question of anyone Theist or non-Theist. To me, it is just as irrelevant as knowing whether or not there is a God.

Once again, that's probably just me. Dodgy
(29-01-2012 05:33 AM)Jeff Wrote:  I'm struck by how pointless it is to prosletyze to people who cannot be changed and who don't have free will. Again, it is an activity without meaning, and you believe god has commanded you to do it. It reminds me of Sysyphus.

Ummagumma

I Heart Floyd!

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-01-2012, 03:17 PM
(29-01-2012 01:46 PM)kim Wrote:  Silly me; on my own, I've never thought to ask such a question of anyone Theist or non-Theist. To me, it is just as irrelevant as knowing whether or not there is a God.

yup, is you Smile 'cos you're nice Tongue Those of us who're travelling in the asshole compartment of the hell bound train on the other hand...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I have a question - If the christian god existed and then became unconscious, would he cease to exist ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
29-01-2012, 08:24 PM
I have a question for the theist. Don't you think this thread has gone ridiculously long and now it's time to return to the important work of CYOA!?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel