Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
30-01-2012, 04:49 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(30-01-2012 04:47 PM)Reactor Wrote:  Are you able to sin?

Yes.

All humans sin.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2012, 04:56 PM
(30-01-2012 04:49 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Yes.

All humans sin.

That entirely depends on the definition of sin; or even its existence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
30-01-2012, 04:56 PM

Yes.

All humans sin.

No you are wrong, Babies don't sin.

What is consider a sin?(direct me if needed to a link or a book chapter something to read, and i hope it's not too big >.<)
30-01-2012, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 04:59 PM by kingschosen.)
(30-01-2012 04:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Yes.

All humans sin.

That entirely depends on the definition of sin; or even its existence.

Very true.

I should clarify that according to Christian doctrine all humans sin.
(30-01-2012 04:56 PM)Reactor Wrote:  

Yes.

All humans sin.

No you are wrong, Babies don't sin.

What is consider a sin?(direct me if needed to a link or a book chapter something to read, and i hope it's not too big >.<)

You are correct. That's something that I overlooked; however, I have addressed this in another question.

Babies, children, and the mentally handicapped cannot be judged according to their earthly deeds. If they die, they are elect.

30-01-2012, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2012 05:33 PM by Reactor.)
(30-01-2012 04:56 PM)Reactor Wrote:  What is consider a sin?(direct me if needed to a link or a book chapter something to read, and i hope it's not too big >.<)

It started to get annoying that i have to remind you to respond to my questions >.<
Do i do something wrong?
Edit: Maybe u was just tired i didn't took this in account
30-01-2012, 06:43 PM
I do not sin. A sin is a transgression of religious laws, which have no standing with me.
[+] 3 users Like Jeff's post
30-01-2012, 10:02 PM
(30-01-2012 10:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is true, but since God gave me the ability to enjoy my desires, my lack of freewill becomes enjoyable. God's desires that He place in me provide me, personally, with meaning, even if they are predestined. Does that make sense?
Yes you can have enjoyment in life, even if not meaningful, although I would caution you that enjoyment without meaning can become hollow. You can only have real meaning in your life if you can make a difference in the outcomes that are most important to you. For you, your most important outcomes are for you and your family to go to heaven. However you have no influence on that for you or any member of your family. It doesn't matter how well you raise your children, or what you teach them, because it's been pre-determined as to whether they'll go to heaven or hell. You have no impact on the outcomes that mean the most to you.

[color=#006400]
(29-01-2012 12:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  God's plan for the Son (Jesus) was to give Jesus an inheritance. Jesus' purpose was to impute His righteousness to destroy the effects of sin. Yes, God create sin, but it had to be created in order to give Jesus a purpose. In order for that purpose to be fulfilled, there needed to be a redemption for the sin that was created - Jesus' sacrifice.

The reason I engage with believers is because I find it so interesting to see their belief systems as a window into their psychology. What I find so interesting about you, KingsChosen, is how your beliefs undermine the ability to have meaning. Your interpretation of god and jesus does it again. You say that god wanted to give jesus an inheritance and a purpose, so god created humanity and sin. Then jesus could make his sacrifice to redeem the sinners. Your viewpoint makes jesus' sacrifice meaningless because it was done for an artificial construct that god created. It would be like me taking you to a movie set, making you think there's really some danger from a building on fire with people inside, and having you think you're rescuing them, even though the whole setup is contrived. Let's say you spent your whole life thinking you were really rescuing these actors from movie set catastrophes. That's not a meaningful life.

(29-01-2012 12:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  God has already selected the saved and damned, but they must live an earthly life that is infiltrated by sin so that Jesus' purpose has a reason.

So the people of earth are basically just the actors in a play staged so that jesus can be the hero and have a healthy self-esteem. Thanks dad!

(29-01-2012 12:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  God has given me the desire to know that my children are elect. God gives me those desires. Now, I can't say one way or another if they are elect, but this is a good indicator that they are.

Please clarify - what exactly is a good indicator that they (your children) are elect?

I wonder if you would ever admit to your children that you would still worship god, even if he sends one or both of your children to an eternity of agony in hell. I suggest that you don't, as I don't think it would be good for their psyches.

(29-01-2012 12:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  He has instill in us a desire to preach, so we take pleasure in it.

You take pleasure in preaching to people, knowing that you cannot have any impact on the outcome. If you were making a difference, I think we could all understand the pleasure in that feeling. However since going to heaven or hell is predetermined, your prosletyzing can have no effect. This leads me to wonder what the pleasure comes from? As an analogy, would you go to a group of people who are starving for food, and preach to them about how great food tastes, knowing that you're not going to feed them and neither is anyone else? What should we think about someone who takes pleasure in doing that?
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
30-01-2012, 10:13 PM

Yes.

All humans sin.

Thankfully this is a false statement. I'm here to testify that Jesus does a piss poor job of taking away the guilt of sin. "Freedom in Christ" produces nothing but guilty feelings. I have had the purest freedom in my life since having the blinders removed. Thank Me for the freedom I've created.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
30-01-2012, 11:34 PM

Yes.

All humans sin.

Sorry, but no. That statement is incorrect.
Sinning is confined to the people that believe in that concept.
I don't believe in the concept of sin. That concept belongs to your theology and I am not a believer of your theology.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
31-01-2012, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2012 08:33 AM by kingschosen.)
(30-01-2012 05:14 PM)Reactor Wrote:  
(30-01-2012 04:56 PM)Reactor Wrote:  What is consider a sin?(direct me if needed to a link or a book chapter something to read, and i hope it's not too big >.<)

It started to get annoying that i have to remind you to respond to my questions >.<
Do i do something wrong?
Edit: Maybe u was just tired i didn't took this in account

Sorry, I missed that part of your question.

A sin is the breaking of the ten commandments... later, Jesus explained that sinning goes further that the physical acts and that you're also held accountable for hating someone or lusting.
(30-01-2012 11:34 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  

Yes.

All humans sin.

Sorry, but no. That statement is incorrect.
Sinning is confined to the people that believe in that concept.
I don't believe in the concept of sin. That concept belongs to your theology and I am not a believer of your theology.

You're breaking ground rule #B and #Lastly. Please revise your thoughts into a question.
(30-01-2012 10:02 PM)Jeff Wrote:  Please clarify - what exactly is a good indicator that they (your children) are elect?

I wonder if you would ever admit to your children that you would still worship god, even if he sends one or both of your children to an eternity of agony in hell. I suggest that you don't, as I don't think it would be good for their psyches.

If God gives me desires and my desires are to teach my children about God and see them go to heaven, due to my desires being that, it is a good indicator that my children are elect. God places desires in us for a reason.

Quote:You take pleasure in preaching to people, knowing that you cannot have any impact on the outcome. If you were making a difference, I think we could all understand the pleasure in that feeling. However since going to heaven or hell is predetermined, your prosletyzing can have no effect. This leads me to wonder what the pleasure comes from? As an analogy, would you go to a group of people who are starving for food, and preach to them about how great food tastes, knowing that you're not going to feed them and neither is anyone else? What should we think about someone who takes pleasure in doing that?

I take pleasure because it is the desire that God has given me. God can use my preaching as a catalyst for someone's regeneration. I am being used for God's purpose.