Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
03-02-2012, 04:14 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(03-02-2012 03:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I would venture to say that thinking outside of reality and logic, while still being grounded in it, is a more advanced, evolved way of thinking.

You're stagnating in antiquity by thinking purely in reality.

ROFL Smile KC you're a funny guy...

Reality is what's real... somewhat obviously... real is the only stuff worth bothering with by definition...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-02-2012, 05:32 PM
(03-02-2012 03:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(03-02-2012 03:28 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(03-02-2012 03:22 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Where are my inconsistencies? I feel that my theology is pretty reconciled.

Your thought process has led you to conclude that there is a god who actually does what you think it does.
Anything you say that supports a supernatural explanation is inconsistent with known realities.

And, known realities should limit thought processes?

That's a very primitive way of thinking.

I would venture to say that thinking outside of reality and logic, while still being grounded in it, is a more advanced, evolved way of thinking.

It's great to come up with creative and new hypotheses, you just need to test them before giving them any weight.
03-02-2012, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2012 06:15 PM by Chas.)
(03-02-2012 05:32 PM)Ben Wrote:  
(03-02-2012 03:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(03-02-2012 03:28 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(03-02-2012 03:22 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Where are my inconsistencies? I feel that my theology is pretty reconciled.

Your thought process has led you to conclude that there is a god who actually does what you think it does.
Anything you say that supports a supernatural explanation is inconsistent with known realities.

And, known realities should limit thought processes?

That's a very primitive way of thinking.

I would venture to say that thinking outside of reality and logic, while still being grounded in it, is a more advanced, evolved way of thinking.

Actually, thinking in reality is quite modern. What came before was myth and magic.

Quote:It's great to come up with creative and new hypotheses, you just need to test them before giving them any weight.

Yes.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-02-2012, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2012 06:39 PM by Reactor.)
(03-02-2012 08:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-02-2012 08:06 PM)Reactor Wrote:  If someone is clinical dead and then revived with a shock or something does this mean that he gone to heaven(or hell) and then forced to return back to earth?
No

Where does the soul(spirit, or i don't know how you call it) goes?
If in the future that our technology will be more advanced we resurrect a dead man that we froze with cryogenics what will happen?
Does the amount of time someone is dead before he get resurrected matters?
03-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Wow I have not been on here in a loooong time. Considering that KC and I are both theists and Christians, I figure its about high time I got myself onslaughted by the rest of you too. Besides, it'll be interesting to see the different varieties of crazy you get between a Catholic and a Protestant. So go ahead, ask me anything. I'm game.
03-02-2012, 06:55 PM
(03-02-2012 06:42 PM)Nagoda Wrote:  Besides, it'll be interesting to see the different varieties of crazy you get between a Catholic and a Protestant.

Does that sentence actually have ANY meaning to you?
There are people that post here who may get killed for it and you seem to think that we will find some entertainment in the 'crazy' varieties of two utterly bogus theologies?
I'm sorry sir. I do not find ANY of your silly beliefs entertaining nor worth understanding any longer.
They contribute nothing.
BTW, you Catholics are still on top of that condom thing in Africa right? Angry

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2012, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2012 07:07 PM by kingschosen.)
(03-02-2012 06:36 PM)Reactor Wrote:  
(02-02-2012 08:06 PM)Reactor Wrote:  If someone is clinical dead and then revived with a shock or something does this mean that he gone to heaven(or hell) and then forced to return back to earth?
No

If in the future that our technology will be more advanced we resurrect a dead man that we froze with cryogenics what will happen?

Since God predestined that person to be resuscitated, their spirit doesn't leave earth. Dying and being brought back to life doesn't "trick" God.
(03-02-2012 06:42 PM)Nagoda Wrote:  Wow I have not been on here in a loooong time. Considering that KC and I are both theists and Christians, I figure its about high time I got myself onslaughted by the rest of you too. Besides, it'll be interesting to see the different varieties of crazy you get between a Catholic and a Protestant. So go ahead, ask me anything. I'm game.

Given the length of this thread and the amount of time it's been around, you might get more responses and interest if you started an "Ask a Catholic" thread. Usually, people are just going to read the first post (if they're not already invested in the thread), so you may not get many questions directed towards you.

I hope this helped, bud : /

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
03-02-2012, 07:07 PM
(03-02-2012 07:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
No

Since God predestined that person to be resuscitated, their spirit doesn't leave earth. Dying and being brought back to life doesn't "trick" God.
Is that written somewhere in the bible? Or you just figured it out using your logic?
03-02-2012, 07:12 PM
(03-02-2012 07:07 PM)Reactor Wrote:  
No

Is that written somewhere in the bible? Or you just figured it out using your logic?

If God is omnipotent and omniscient, He already knows the outcome of the person's life. If a person's spirit leaves the body, they are in their respective eternities, which cannot be escaped.

It is also assumed that Lazarus' and Dorkus' spirit didn't leave their bodies even though they were dead for an extended amount of time. It's never mentioned in the Bible that their spirit left, and they acted in scripture as if they were just asleep.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
03-02-2012, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2012 07:19 PM by Nagoda.)
(03-02-2012 06:55 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(03-02-2012 06:42 PM)Nagoda Wrote:  Besides, it'll be interesting to see the different varieties of crazy you get between a Catholic and a Protestant.

Does that sentence actually have ANY meaning to you?
There are people that post here who may get killed for it and you seem to think that we will find some entertainment in the 'crazy' varieties of two utterly bogus theologies?
I'm sorry sir. I do not find ANY of your silly beliefs entertaining nor worth understanding any longer.
They contribute nothing.
BTW, you Catholics are still on top of that condom thing in Africa right? Angry

Which theologies do you find not to be bogus then?

When I said crazy, that was my attempt at self depreciating humour. I guess that failed to communicate properly? And yes, I think lots of folks can and do get entertainment out of people's religious beliefs. I know I do! In regards to the condoms, I disagree with the Church's teachings on contraceptives.

In regards to Africa, condoms are a temporary solution and while they do help things in the short term, I don't think they are a long term solution to AIDS, and of course they are not entirely 100% effective in fighting against the disease. However unpopular it may be, the Pope technically is right when he says that abstinence is the only solution that protects you from infections 100%. However, you try telling that to some jack ass rapist. While theoreitcally the Pope is correct in his remarks, they certainly do not reflect nor do they work in reality a good chunk of the time. But really, a rapist won't wear a condom will they? That kind of defeats the purpose. And for those who are severely allergic to latex (I know because I am)? Very expensive and not exactly an economical solution for a place like Africa. The situation is far more complicated than you make it seem, and I don't think we've necessarily found a long term solution that works. Condoms are helping in the short term, but are they really a fix all solution for all cases? Certainly they help some, but I don't think that throwing condoms at the problem will necessarily fix it the whole situation like magic. Just like the government's solution is to throw money at the problem until it goes away, it just doesn't work. There is no "one size fits all" here.
No

(03-02-2012 06:42 PM)Nagoda Wrote:  Wow I have not been on here in a loooong time. Considering that KC and I are both theists and Christians, I figure its about high time I got myself onslaughted by the rest of you too. Besides, it'll be interesting to see the different varieties of crazy you get between a Catholic and a Protestant. So go ahead, ask me anything. I'm game.

Given the length of this thread and the amount of time it's been around, you might get more responses and interest if you started an "Ask a Catholic" thread. Usually, people are just going to read the first post (if they're not already invested in the thread), so you may not get many questions directed towards you.

I hope this helped, bud : /

Good Idea. Had thought of doing that, but didn't know if it was appropriate considering Theist includes Catholics as well.