Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
06-02-2012, 11:00 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(06-02-2012 10:15 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Anyway, I would need God or an angel to tell me face to face to do something like that. My faith is strong, but I have no God-given desire to ever kill anyone.

Aaaa! aaaa! Why oh why are you such a frikken ... gah! Stop you idiot! If some dude rocks up out of the sky and says "Hi, I'm God, go kill that guy"... you'd do it? Oh I know you'd do a background check to make sure he really was God, but you'd really do it? ... NO! No no frikken no! Tell him to do his own dirty work.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
06-02-2012, 11:04 AM
(06-02-2012 11:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 10:15 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Anyway, I would need God or an angel to tell me face to face to do something like that. My faith is strong, but I have no God-given desire to ever kill anyone.

Aaaa! aaaa! Why oh why are you such a frikken ... gah! Stop you idiot! If some dude rocks up out of the sky and says "Hi, I'm God, go kill that guy"... you'd do it? Oh I know you'd do a background check to make sure he really was God, but you'd really do it? ... NO! No no frikken no! Tell him to do his own dirty work.

Well... I mean, it would have to be divine... obviously divine. I'm not just going to go kill someone because some random dude claiming to be God told me to do so.

I mean, I would need blinding lights, fiery chariots, flaming swords type thing so there would be no confusion.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
06-02-2012, 11:18 AM
N the instance you saw chariots and what have you, how would you not question your own sanity?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2012, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 11:23 AM by kingschosen.)
(06-02-2012 11:18 AM)lucradis Wrote:  N the instance you saw chariots and what have you, how would you not question your own sanity?

Of course I would.

God would have to be pretty convincing.
Also, there is the desire thing too. Since God gives me my desires, I would have to have a desire to do what is commanded. If I didn't, it wouldn't be from God.

06-02-2012, 11:51 AM
That's just it.
Nothing would convince me. I would go see a psychiatrist immediately.
It wouldn't make any sense to me. The reason I asked is more or less yo inquire about how you would be able to accept it.

Also frailty would have been better had they not done the camera thing, thus leaving it more to the viewer to decide, and I'd they'd not cast mathew. He stinks.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
06-02-2012, 11:53 AM
(06-02-2012 11:51 AM)lucradis Wrote:  That's just it.
Nothing would convince me. I would go see a psychiatrist immediately.
It wouldn't make any sense to me. The reason I asked is more or less yo inquire about how you would be able to accept it.

It would be dependent on my desires. I would have to have the desire to accept it. If I didn't, I would know it wasn't true. So, I guess I really can't say until it happens <_<

Quote:Also frailty would have been better had they not done the camera thing, thus leaving it more to the viewer to decide, and I'd they'd not cast mathew. He stinks.

Yeah, I felt that way too. I also wish they would have left it more open to interpretation at the end.

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
06-02-2012, 12:04 PM
(06-02-2012 10:15 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Modern translations are not inspired. There are many errors within translations from the oldest texts. This is why it's important to reference the original languages when interpreting scripture.

Leviticus 19:15: In righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbor.

Matthew 7:1: Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Are the above statements inspired and correctly translated? If so, how do you resolve the contradiction? If not, please give me the correct versions, and tell me if they still contradict. If so, how do you resolve the contradiction?
06-02-2012, 12:21 PM
(06-02-2012 12:04 PM)Jeff Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 10:15 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Modern translations are not inspired. There are many errors within translations from the oldest texts. This is why it's important to reference the original languages when interpreting scripture.

Leviticus 19:15: In righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbor.

Matthew 7:1: Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Are the above statements inspired and correctly translated? If so, how do you resolve the contradiction? If not, please give me the correct versions, and tell me if they still contradict. If so, how do you resolve the contradiction?

Why do people insist on taking a few words from a verse - removing the meaning and context; thus adding their own meaning to what the Bible says?

Sorry Jeff... don't mean to single you out... people just do this all the time.

Leviticus 19:15 is referencing laws and justice that in place for people accused of some type of crime. This verse is telling the Jews that they must judge every type of person equally; social status should have not change judgement. God ordains earthly law and the adherence to it. If you read the whole verse, this is pretty obvious.

NASB
15 ‘You shall do no injustice in judgment; you shall not be partial to the poor nor defer to the great, but you are to judge your neighbor fairly.

Matthew 7 is referencing "judging" people not under the law but under personal grievances. Jesus is telling people to worry about themselves and their actions instead of worry about what other people do.

Now, this doesn't mean within the confines of the law. A system of judgement is set in place to judge the accused of breaking earthly law - and these systems are relative to the society.

This is addressing how to interact with people and how to treat others. This "judgement" isn't a lawful judgement.

06-02-2012, 12:27 PM
(06-02-2012 11:04 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 11:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  

Well... I mean, it would have to be divine... obviously divine. I'm not just going to go kill someone because some random dude claiming to be God told me to do so.

I mean, I would need blinding lights, fiery chariots, flaming swords type thing so there would be no confusion.

You mean the more obvious signs of delusion. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-02-2012, 01:53 PM
What is your take on who wrote the Bible? Do you believe in the Documentary Hypothesis (JEDP) for the Hebrew Bible or do you think Moses wrote the Pentateuch? What about the New Testament? Was there really a Matthew Mark Luke and John or do you subscribe to the Four Source Hypothesis (Q theory), Oxford Hypothesis (Markan Priority without Q) or the Griesbach Hypothesis (Matthean Priority)?

Or did everything I just mention go by your head?