Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
09-12-2011, 11:00 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(09-12-2011 10:29 PM)Monk Wrote:  The biggest question for this person is, they say 'god', and I ask, 'Which one' because honestly you have a rather large list to pick from. You say Yahweh, Muslims say Allah. Like an irrational Energizer Bunny religious nutcases just keeps going, and going, and going - in the wrong direction. Regardless of the clever word games you play, logic will never be defeated by ancient mumbo jumbo, written by questionable authors at a time when people didn't know where the sun went at night. Having a 'personal relationship' with a dead guy lies at the heart of your sick belief system. I often wonder what religion you would be if the Roman Empire did not adopt Christianity.

Someone didn't read my carefully numbered ground rules.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-12-2011, 11:08 PM
(09-12-2011 11:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Someone didn't read my carefully numbered ground rules.

That's bound to be a problem on page seven. Don't let 'em distract ya, KC. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
09-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Alrighty...... King...

What do you think would happen to your faith and faith around the world should the following events happen.

1.) Isreal is completely destroyed making any possible fullfillment of prophecy leading up to the 2nd coming of Christ impossible to ever happen as written in the Bible.

2.) Events that appear to be leading to the destruction of the human race are not following the precise events described in the Bible... for example a hostile invasion of an E.T. bent on harvesting earth's resources for their own benefit and killing us off or harvesting us for food.

3.) Santa Clause abducts your ass and takes you back to his North Pole home where you discover the existance of elves.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
09-12-2011, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 12:05 AM by kingschosen.)
(09-12-2011 11:11 PM)ddrew Wrote:  Alrighty...... King...

What do you think would happen to your faith and faith around the world should the following events happen.

1.) Isreal is completely destroyed making any possible fullfillment of prophecy leading up to the 2nd coming of Christ impossible to ever happen as written in the Bible.

2.) Events that appear to be leading to the destruction of the human race are not following the precise events described in the Bible... for example a hostile invasion of an E.T. bent on harvesting earth's resources for their own benefit and killing us off or harvesting us for food.

3.) Santa Clause abducts your ass and takes you back to his North Pole home where you discover the existance of elves.

1) Just kinda figure that all the Jews would eventually come back together and remake Israel again... like always.

2) I wouldn't be worried. The aliens would either get sick and die from our diseases or we would have the Fresh Prince and Dr. Malcolm blow them up.

3) Contact Sauron and tell him to send an army of orcs.
(09-12-2011 11:08 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 11:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Someone didn't read my carefully numbered ground rules.

That's bound to be a problem on page seven. Don't let 'em distract ya, KC. Wink

PAGE 7?

Page 2 FTW.

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
10-12-2011, 12:41 AM
(09-12-2011 10:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 06:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  We will be praising God for eternity.

Dude, that smells like enslavement to me, voluntary or not.

I can see what you mean.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
10-12-2011, 05:30 AM
Um...

Since you said we can ask...

Are you happy? You've said previously that your God isn't particularly nice or fair, and you don't have a choice in serving him. If you did have the choice, would you?
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
10-12-2011, 06:25 AM
1) If Jesus died for our sins, does that mean everyone has a free ride Into heaven? No matter how bad you are in life? Because the price for our sins has already been paid for with Jesus's death.

2) Do you believe god answers your prayers? If yes, why will it answer your prayers while ignoring the prayers of people who really need it, like a starving child? (I've asked this to several theists and have never heard an answer other than I don't know)

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
10-12-2011, 06:35 AM
1. Why do so many christians empathize with dogs? I'd never >.>

2. As you believe that there is a special form after death, do you feel that this form while asexual is basically male, therefore making females unable to go to heaven? The book never really expresses women going to heaven. Occasionally it gives them rules, but no promises.

3. If you remove all of the poetic padding throughout the years does hell turn into simply a feeling? The only description has to do with pain and fire.

4, Should god really be given exception for being immoral or should you disapprove of his improper actions? Is the description of god being cruel a test in itself?

Maybe that's enough questions for now, make sure to answer the first one.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
10-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Do you get your morals from the Bible?

Is what is morally good commanded by God because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by God?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2011, 08:17 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2011 08:34 AM by kingschosen.)
(10-12-2011 05:30 AM)morondog Wrote:  Um...

Since you said we can ask...

Are you happy? You've said previously that your God isn't particularly nice or fair, and you don't have a choice in serving him. If you did have the choice, would you?

I am. I'm happier than I've ever been in my life. I have complete comfort and solace. It's true that I have no choice, but God also gave me the desire to serve Him.

If I had the choice to serve Him, would I? No, I would never make that choice. I am incapable of choosing to serve God. If God didn't choose me, I would choose my human nature 100% of the time.
(10-12-2011 06:25 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  1) If Jesus died for our sins, does that mean everyone has a free ride Into heaven? No matter how bad you are in life? Because the price for our sins has already been paid for with Jesus's death.

2) Do you believe god answers your prayers? If yes, why will it answer your prayers while ignoring the prayers of people who really need it, like a starving child? (I've asked this to several theists and have never heard an answer other than I don't know)

1) I believe in unlimited limited atonement. Jesus died for the world's sins, but He limits His atonement for the elect. The redemptive power is there for those that aren't elect; however, they cannot receive it because they were not chosen for salvation.

2) I addressed prayers in the Calvin thread.
Prayer is essential because it is communication with God. Most people see prayer as “Oh hai god! Heal plz. Can I have this?” Prayer, in essence, isn’t this at all. Yes, our fates our determined, but this line of communication helps us understand God. It allows Him to answer questions. He can reveal to us the “whys”. Prayer is for us. It’s not for God.

We are to pray for others in obedience. Praying for others also allows God to reveal to us how He wants us to be used, what to say, and how to act around others. Ultimately, none of that is our choice; however, prayer is use as an explanation for His purpose and a look into His will.

(10-12-2011 06:35 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  1. Why do so many christians empathize with dogs? I'd never >.>

2. As you believe that there is a special form after death, do you feel that this form while asexual is basically male, therefore making females unable to go to heaven? The book never really expresses women going to heaven. Occasionally it gives them rules, but no promises.

3. If you remove all of the poetic padding throughout the years does hell turn into simply a feeling? The only description has to do with pain and fire.

4, Should god really be given exception for being immoral or should you disapprove of his improper actions? Is the description of god being cruel a test in itself?

Maybe that's enough questions for now, make sure to answer the first one.

1) lol I didn't know this was a stereotype. I was raised with cats and dogs. I just took a likin' to dawgs. I feel they are better family pets and more affectionate. I also think they are more trainable.

2) It will be a glorified body. I don't think sex will play a factor. Since we would be rid of our sinful human nature and would be perfect and immortal there would be no need for a sex. The Bible doesn't say, so this is just my best guess based on what I understand. All elect go to heaven; whether they are male or female.

3) I believe hell is a place where the the soul goes for physical torment. I don't think it's a feeling or an emotion or an allegory.

4) God's morals are His own. His actions are His own. He cannot be held accountable to human standards.