Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
10-02-2012, 03:57 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(10-02-2012 12:11 PM)kim Wrote:  
(10-02-2012 09:59 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  If you took all the ancient writings out of the equation, the theist will be left with nothing to spin to provide anything of substance.

Actually, I could provide something of substance that has nothing to do with the bible, Scripture, Christianity, or even the God of Abraham... but I'm not a theist. Probably don't want to hear that though, huh? Shy

um... Fucking, it's got to be fucking. I'm right aren't I.

Or... but seriously, what else could it be? Feelings you get up a mountain get knocked into a cocked hat when compared to feelings you get upon mountin' Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
10-02-2012, 04:05 PM
(10-02-2012 03:57 PM)morondog Wrote:  um... Fucking, it's got to be fucking. I'm right aren't I.

Or... but seriously, what else could it be? Feelings you get up a mountain get knocked into a cocked hat when compared to feelings you get upon mountin' Tongue

LMAO! Big Grin

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TalladegaTom's post
10-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Damn. I didn't think about fucking - that kind of does put a whole new "spin" on the God concept and being one with the universe and all that cool new-agey shit. Smile
But no. Just something I've been mulling over lately.
I have a kind of a theory of sorts, which places the early belief systems of the pre-gnostics at a greater advantage (free thought wise) than today's run of the mill Christian. A lot has to do with the depiction of God(s) throughout pre-gnostic, gnostic, early Christianity, and how those symbols were translated through time.

The Christian belief system is due partly to the split from the plural God systems to the monotheist systems which took place during this time period - well, a little more involved than it might sound....

I think I've come to the conclusion that the planet was better off with a bunch of Gods way before this monotheistic crap ... To my understanding, they actually had the capacity to understand time, space, the big bang, and everything that came after it... it's religion that fucked it all up for everyone.

I could go into it a bit further, but I have to go to work. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
10-02-2012, 05:43 PM
(10-02-2012 05:07 PM)kim Wrote:  Damn. I didn't think about fucking - that kind of does put a whole new "spin" on the God concept and being one with the universe and all that cool new-agey shit. Smile
But no. Just something I've been mulling over lately.
I have a kind of a theory of sorts, which places the early belief systems of the pre-gnostics at a greater advantage (free thought wise) than today's run of the mill Christian. A lot has to do with the depiction of God(s) throughout pre-gnostic, gnostic, early Christianity, and how those symbols were translated through time.

The Christian belief system is due partly to the split from the plural God systems to the monotheist systems which took place during this time period - well, a little more involved than it might sound....

I think I've come to the conclusion that the planet was better off with a bunch of Gods way before this monotheistic crap ... To my understanding, they actually had the capacity to understand time, space, the big bang, and everything that came after it... it's religion that fucked it all up for everyone.

I could go into it a bit further, but I have to go to work. Shy

I assume you mean "it's monotheism that fucked it all up for everyone".

Why are the monotheistic religions so fucking fucked up about fucking?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
11-02-2012, 02:55 PM
because sex feels better when you're in a group ~_^

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
11-02-2012, 04:19 PM
(07-02-2012 03:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(07-02-2012 09:41 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  What a wicked god for fucking up my life with his religion only to drop me when he had no more use for me.

Well... even if you aren't elect, God could have used you and your preaching to start someone's regeneration... kind of ironic if you think about it.

Also, how do you like all the new pretty colors on the first page?

After all these posts you adore a "god", as depicted by you, that any sane Christians would find totally abhorrent. What a waste of time for yourself and all of us...........
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
12-02-2012, 06:22 AM
(11-02-2012 02:55 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  because sex feels better when you're in a group ~_^

... which reminds me of the time I was the only guy in a bar in Manila (Philippines)...
The first and only time in my life when I praised god... numerous times that night!
13-02-2012, 12:07 PM
(10-02-2012 09:59 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  KC, can you provide something modern? Some piece of the puzzle that does not rely on ancient text to support your god idea?
Surely your god should give you some kind of tangible information/evidence outside of the bible to answer a heathen like me.
If the bible didn't exist, would your feelings be the same? I think not.

If you took all the ancient writings out of the equation, the theist will be left with nothing to spin to provide anything of substance.

This is a loaded, close-ended question.

It's like saying, "Well, if Mark Twain never lived, do you really think we would have the characters Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn? I think not!"

But, to appease your question... yes, yes I do. God would have provided us instruction in some way, shape, or form that mimics the instructions in the Bible.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-02-2012, 12:28 PM
(10-02-2012 05:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  I assume you mean "it's monotheism that fucked it all up for everyone".

Yea sorry, that's what I meant. I was in a hurry - so I fucked up. Tongue

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-02-2012, 12:31 PM
(13-02-2012 12:07 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  This is a loaded, close-ended question.

It's like saying, "Well, if Mark Twain never lived, do you really think we would have the characters Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn? I think not!"

But, to appease your question... yes, yes I do. God would have provided us instruction in some way, shape, or form that mimics the instructions in the Bible.

Not really. There is a HUGE difference between a fictitious character and the supposed most powerful being who is the creator of all things.
For god to be dependent solely on the 2,000+ year old heavily disputed bible at this point to convince folks that he is real is truly laughable.
There should be PLENTY of other things a god thumper could direct our attention to.
At this point, god should have left at the very least SOME kind of statistical evidence for its actions (insert healing, miracles and the amputee argument) or a clear and universally obvious way to understand that it does exist.
There is no need for mystery any longer. We are all adults with brains sufficiently able to process it.
Why can't god come out of the closet without all the trumpets and destruction?
Nah, because looking at the universe, god likes blowing things up.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
[+] 1 user Likes TalladegaTom's post