Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
14-02-2012, 04:54 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(14-02-2012 04:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-02-2012 04:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  A banana is yellow. It's not blue. It's not black. It's not orange. It's yellow. They have always been yellow (for simplicity's sake, let's not try and debunk this through history/evolution).

Okay, so for the sake of simplicity I will pretend that I have never seen or eaten a green, brown, or red banana. I will pretend to believe something demonstrably ridiculous. For the sake of simplicity I will choose to be a simpleton. Sounds like a plan.

-_-

All I was trying to do is paint an easy picture for observation and understanding without it being attacked with a strawman.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2012, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2012 08:41 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-02-2012 04:54 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-02-2012 04:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-02-2012 04:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  A banana is yellow. It's not blue. It's not black. It's not orange. It's yellow. They have always been yellow (for simplicity's sake, let's not try and debunk this through history/evolution).

Okay, so for the sake of simplicity I will pretend that I have never seen or eaten a green, brown, or red banana. I will pretend to believe something demonstrably ridiculous. For the sake of simplicity I will choose to be a simpleton. Sounds like a plan.

-_-

All I was trying to do is paint an easy picture for observation and understanding without it being attacked with a strawman.

Nah, Strawman Shrawman, I think the "all bananas are yellow for the sake of simplicity" premise accurately captures most theological arguments.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm not a fan of phsychology but when it's so obvious you gotta call freudian slip =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
14-02-2012, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2012 06:52 PM by Malleus.)
Dude, forget the banana. It's a pretty lame metaphor anyway. How do you explain the fact that, the way the world looks and works and functions it is exactly the way it would if there were no god, no plan?

Here's a better example: I took my dog to the forest one day, years ago. I didn't see or hear or smell that he farted, but let's assume for the sake of argument that he actually did. Since that event happened, it must have been in god's plan, because, according to you *everything* is part of god's plan. Now, if you would be so kind, please explain to me a logical connection between my dog's fart and the Andromeda galaxy. My point is that the Andromeda galaxy and my dog's fart both exist and are therefore both necessary as parts of god's perfect plan.

I submit to you that everything we do is just as irrelevant as my dog's fart from Andromeda's point of view. Absolutely nothing we do can possibly affect Andromeda in any way. Still, somehow, between Jesus, Andromeda and my dog's fart there needs to be a connection. Please point it out. I'm not telling you to describe god's plan to me. I am only asking for a tiny detail, nothing too difficult for a human mind.

Let's say that I have to fart, but I decide to delay my fart for a while because now I have company. Is that me screwing with god's plan to give me the need to fart or was the delay also carefully planned? How does my delay affect the Alpha Centauri? I can only assume that they are both simultaneously necessary, but I would really love to know how that works.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 3 users Like Malleus's post
14-02-2012, 07:27 PM
(14-02-2012 04:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-02-2012 02:30 PM)Reactor Wrote:  
(14-02-2012 01:56 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-02-2012 11:42 AM)Reactor Wrote:  Yeah I get all these and you have repeatedly explained about why elect obey gods rules, but that wasn't my question. I asked you if god's rules are just decorative.
No. They are set up a certain way for a reason.
Could you share that reason with us?
So that Jesus' purpose could be served.
How the absence of these rules prevent Jesus from fulfilling his purpose? (perhaps the butterfly effect is the case?)
14-02-2012, 09:13 PM
(14-02-2012 06:48 PM)Malleus Wrote:  Dude, forget the banana. It's a pretty lame metaphor anyway. How do you explain the fact that, the way the world looks and works and functions it is exactly the way it would if there were no god, no plan?

Here's a better example: I took my dog to the forest one day, years ago. I didn't see or hear or smell that he farted, but let's assume for the sake of argument that he actually did. Since that event happened, it must have been in god's plan, because, according to you *everything* is part of god's plan. Now, if you would be so kind, please explain to me a logical connection between my dog's fart and the Andromeda galaxy. My point is that the Andromeda galaxy and my dog's fart both exist and are therefore both necessary as parts of god's perfect plan.

I submit to you that everything we do is just as irrelevant as my dog's fart from Andromeda's point of view. Absolutely nothing we do can possibly affect Andromeda in any way. Still, somehow, between Jesus, Andromeda and my dog's fart there needs to be a connection. Please point it out. I'm not telling you to describe god's plan to me. I am only asking for a tiny detail, nothing too difficult for a human mind.

Let's say that I have to fart, but I decide to delay my fart for a while because now I have company. Is that me screwing with god's plan to give me the need to fart or was the delay also carefully planned? How does my delay affect the Alpha Centauri? I can only assume that they are both simultaneously necessary, but I would really love to know how that works.

Mal, it's a great example and a great effort, but you'll get no other answer than: I can't know the mind of God, but somehow he has worked it all out to bring glory to the Son thru the incense of your dog's fart.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
14-02-2012, 09:38 PM
(14-02-2012 09:13 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(14-02-2012 06:48 PM)Malleus Wrote:  Dude, forget the banana. It's a pretty lame metaphor anyway. How do you explain the fact that, the way the world looks and works and functions it is exactly the way it would if there were no god, no plan?

Mal, it's a great example and a great effort, but you'll get no other answer than: I can't know the mind of God, but somehow he has worked it all out to bring glory to the Son thru the incense of your dog's fart.

And make sure you bottle that fart. ... Or we're all doomed.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-02-2012, 07:45 AM

So god is a banana and Jesus is a fart?

I love playing Whit metaphors!

KC, the more you describe The Plan to me, the crazier your Christian POV is becoming. Its a wild and warped world you have crated for your 'Christian self'.

I've got some pals that are mega cool, super fun to hang out with....untill you get some Jaeger in them and they start discussing the anal probing by aliens that MOST CERTAINLY happened to them. I bet you are a lot like them in that way. Cool as beans to hang with but deep down there's something night quite right.

I know you have it all figured out. So did we former Christians. I once had ALL the answers, so to speak.

So now i wonder if you are so committed to your cause (chosen) that IF the reality light bulb would go off...that you'd change your mind? Be interesting to wait and see.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
15-02-2012, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2012 09:45 AM by kingschosen.)

Through the process of evolution (which God designed), your dog's biological process required him to fart. Because God designed this biological process, God predestined your dog to fart.
(14-02-2012 07:27 PM)Reactor Wrote:  How the absence of these rules prevent Jesus from fulfilling his purpose? (perhaps the butterfly effect is the case?)

Without sin, Jesus' sacrifice would be pointless.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
15-02-2012, 09:49 AM

(15-02-2012 09:44 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Without sin, Jesus' sacrifice would be pointless.

Which leads me to one of my all time favorite quotes....

"If you don't sin Jesus died for nothing"

D
Quote this message in a reply