Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
17-02-2012, 10:11 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
Malleus, Relax man. Every now and then one of the mods feels the need to tell us to calm down - I guess it's cos as a mod they feel responsible for making sure the forum is a welcoming place for everyone. Tough call when there's thousands of us from all over the world with differing ideas of what is and is not nice behaviour.

For the record, if you were upset about the 'aggro' in my post above yours, that wasn't referring to you - there's a couple of other guys who've been pretty nasty that I can recall.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2012, 10:12 AM

(17-02-2012 10:04 AM)Malleus Wrote:  When we ganged up on Germanyt for his views on circumcision, it got as heated and insulting as it ever got around here.

WOW! How did i miss this?
Actually a subject i am curious about....although dont have a strong opinion on it.

How do i find this thread?? Curious minds wanna know...I WANNA KNOW!

D
Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2012, 10:25 AM
I don't know. What's the point for either of us to be here?

But think about this: I am a white dude. What if i went to a church for black people dressed up like the KKK? Let's say that I survive long enough to patiently explain to them that I am not in fact a member of KKK. Things stay pretty civilized and I keep explaining that I wish them no harm and I would really love it if each and everyone of them were white. I am really sorry that they are all black but let's face it, white men are superior. Let's look at it from the bright side: maybe at least a few of them get Michael Jackson's disease and start turning white. Would it feel reasonable for me to feel bullied because a great part of the community focuses their attention on my out of place views? Can we reasonably expect a most civilized black community to tolerate my views there?

Maybe they will allow me to stay there as long as I want and maybe they will tolerate me as a person, but my views will never be welcome there, right? See where I'm getting?

P.S. I do NOT consider any race to be superior or inferior. This entire situation was hypothetical.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
17-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Malleus I didn't see your last post before the last one I posted.

Why should we treat KC differently than we've been treated by theists? Is that what you're getting at? It sounds like it.

In which case Denicio I recant my argument in the thread about compensation from slurs... You were right man. Laws apparently have to be in place before people will stop attacking one another.

My answer as to why would be "um... because you're not them? and you might want to know that? Because like, it's nice?"

Why would you want to treat someone poorly based of essentially nothing just because someone who believes in some of the same things may have treated you poorly?

Do you murder the guy who went to the same school as the guy who murdered your kid?

I'm not trying to tell anyone to cool it, nor am I trying to stifle anyone's opinion, I just am genuinely curios as to why??????? So far all I've heard is bullshit rationalizing. - no offense.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-02-2012, 10:29 AM

(17-02-2012 10:26 AM)lucradis Wrote:  In which case Denicio I recant my argument in the thread about compensation from slurs... You were right man. Laws apparently have to be in place before people will stop attacking one another.

:-) Big Grin Heart Big Grin Cool

I love you too!
17-02-2012, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2012 10:37 AM by Malleus.)
(17-02-2012 10:12 AM)Denicio Wrote:  
(17-02-2012 10:04 AM)Malleus Wrote:  When we ganged up on Germanyt for his views on circumcision, it got as heated and insulting as it ever got around here.

WOW! How did i miss this?
Actually a subject i am curious about....although dont have a strong opinion on it.

How do i find this thread?? Curious minds wanna know...I WANNA KNOW!

D

Here:

http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thre...ked-for-it

And Lucradis, I believe I answered right while you were typing your reply.
(17-02-2012 10:26 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Why should we treat KC differently than we've been treated by theists? Is that what you're getting at? It sounds like it.

Nope. Why should we treat him better than we treat each other? He is a guest, but come on. If he was an atheist and we'd be ganging up on him for whatever kooky opinions you'd be right there sharing your own point of view.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
17-02-2012, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2012 11:06 AM by Lilith Pride.)
This thread had quite a bit of actual discussion, but it's nearing 80 pages. What do you expect? As to why people keep looking at this thread I'd say a lot has to do with it continuing to be in the new posts section.

After 60 pages in a forum where it's all about debate what do you expect?

According to King I'm the worst offender, but my little backhanded comments are always around even when talking about myself. It's my way of speech.

My biggest suggestion to King is to help this thread die, because he'll get better discourse with a smaller thread. What's left to say now that his theology has been disected? Now everyone is just trying to prove the insanity of the ideas. And it seems that testing his statements is going a bit far. It was in his rules. Well, he better make a new thread then because people aren't going to stop.

At this point he's answered most of the burning questions, so now everyone just wants to test him.

I like King, sometimes we're on different wavelengths but that's everyone. He's got a small issue with a few members that follow him, but most of the agression is right here in this thread. So just stop talking in this thread and things will calm down. Most of us focus our anger to specific places. I always diffuse it the moment it comes up.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
17-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the support Lucradis.

The GRs are set up to supply some sort of order. They are there to try and keep things civil and to keep people from pushing their point of view on others.

Sadly, it seems people are people, regardless of their "religion" and don't recognize their own hypocrisy. It's okay to act a certain way as long as you're the majority.

Lucradis, you're also right in the fact that some are validating my theology. If you really could choose your actions, and you don't care/disagree with what I have to say then why are you responding/replying?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
17-02-2012, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2012 11:40 AM by Malleus.)
(17-02-2012 11:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The GRs are set up to supply some sort of order. They are there to try and keep things civil and to keep people from pushing their point of view on others.

You're contradicting yourself. We either can choose to stay civil and respect each other's point of view, or god makes that decision for us. Make up your mind but stick with whatever you decide. If god makes the choice, your rules for *us* are pointless. If we make the choice and we can actually decide to obey the rules, *we* decide, not your god and therefore you need to adjust your theology.

Quote:Sadly, it seems people are people, regardless of their "religion" and don't recognize their own hypocrisy. It's okay to act a certain way as long as you're the majority.

Same as before: either your god is the true hypocrite and he's sadistically messing with you using our lack of ability to oppose his actions and then it's your job to deal with your god, because you're in his chosen "crew", or you need to adjust your views on the free will. We're either guilty, but we're right and you're wrong so we're justified to disrespect your view and to try to talk some sense into you in any possible way that can reach through, or we're innocent and in that case, you're insulting the tool for what the hand did with it. Kinda like blaming the knife instead of the murderer.

Quote:Lucradis, you're also right in the fact that some are validating my theology. If you really could choose your actions, and you don't care/disagree with what I have to say then why are you responding/replying?

Wrong question. We believe that we can control what we do and think and we think that the same is true for you. We feel that we would be doing you a favor if we could help you see some sense. I care what you have to say and I disagree with your view. As long as you're still here, I can still try to reach you.

According to your logic, if I bully you, it's really your god doing it, not me. My response option was too easy: I kept trying to bully you to see how much you're willing to take from your "god". It also felt pretty cool that I can be your sick god for a little while. I am just a tool. You can't take any shit personally. Not from me. God did it. Beautiful!

On a more personal note, you really are highly reasonable outside your forbidden zone, but you suppress any bad feelings related to the great injustice you call religion and act on logic. I merely tried to use your own logic. My behavior towards you has exactly the same inner consistency that your rationalizations have.

I really can't see you refuting it: logically, whatever i do to you in a world where god controls EVERYTHING is not my fault. I really do control my actions, but I warn you, as long as I am your god, I can be a very sadistic fuck. Admit it. *I* am a prick. Nobody makes me do it. You did say a few things that pissed me off, but I rationally decided that you need a practical example. Either that or your god wants me to prove to you beyond any doubt that he doesn't exist in the configuration you imagine. I don't care how powerful your computer is, this cannot compute. No matter what you choose you can only be wrong.

[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
17-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Malleus was CHOSEN to bully KC. Malleus had no control over it.

Now take it like a good elect should!

(Sarcasm mode off)

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post