Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
17-02-2012, 04:59 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
lucradis:
I am not assuming stuff anything. I am not being emotional.
But I guess no point keeping discussing this matter as everyone just keeps talking and misunderstanding each other.

though I do stand by my point. but I guess as this is not a theist matter therefore pretty OT anyway.

have fun in this thread, I'm out.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2012, 05:05 PM
You say that god gives you the desires you have.
So if something is happening in your brain caused by god(like a constant miracle)? By observing the effects of that miracle in human brain we could prove the miracle's existence even if the miracle it's self cant be explained with science.
If thats the case that whould be PROOF, yes you heard me, PROOF that god exists (or at least supernatural exists).
19-02-2012, 06:15 PM
(17-02-2012 04:59 PM)Leela Wrote:  But I guess no point keeping discussing this matter as everyone just keeps talking and misunderstanding each other.

See? It's happening again. The Tower of Babel history repeats... God does not want us to understand each other. Big Grin

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
19-02-2012, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2012 10:00 PM by kingschosen.)
(17-02-2012 04:33 PM)kim Wrote:  The only meaning something unobtainable might have for me, is that I can not have it. If I can not have something, I don't care about it; it's meaning is irrelevant.

To you, yes; but that still doesn't make it meaningless.

Quote:If something has no conscious connection to me, my life, my existence, my experience, my future, and finally my death; it is meaningless to me. It is irrelevant.

That's your relative point of view; however, again, that's doesn't mean something is meaningless. You could be completely ignorant of something and it could still have an impact on your life.

Quote:It's kind of like your babies and mentally disabled being elect, isn't it? If you don't know... if you can't obtain the knowledge...

That's in regards to good and evil.
(17-02-2012 05:05 PM)Reactor Wrote:  You say that god gives you the desires you have.
So if something is happening in your brain caused by god(like a constant miracle)? By observing the effects of that miracle in human brain we could prove the miracle's existence even if the miracle it's self cant be explained with science.
If thats the case that whould be PROOF, yes you heard me, PROOF that god exists (or at least supernatural exists).

I'm confused as to what you're saying. What type of constant miracle could happen in my mind?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
19-02-2012, 10:35 PM
I think he means, if god is placing your desires in you, is he manipulating the molecules in your brain constantly? Wouldn't we be able to observe those molecules disobeying the laws of physics, with the right technology?
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
20-02-2012, 12:21 AM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2012 12:27 AM by kim.)
(19-02-2012 09:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(17-02-2012 04:33 PM)kim Wrote:  The only meaning something unobtainable might have for me, is that I can not have it. If I can not have something, I don't care about it; it's meaning is irrelevant.
To you, yes; but that still doesn't make it meaningless.

It makes it meaningless to me. If it's meaningless to someone else, that's not my concern; I don't decide what is or is not meaningful to another person. Shit man, I adore Jerry Lewis... so there.

(17-02-2012 04:33 PM)kim Wrote:  If something has no conscious connection to me, my life, my existence, my experience, my future, and finally my death; it is meaningless to me. It is irrelevant.
That's your relative point of view; however, again, that's doesn't mean something is meaningless. You could be completely ignorant of something and it could still have an impact on your life.

I will say that could be true in light of chaos theory however, only the impact might have meaning but not necessarily the thing itself. Take God/religion; it has impacted my life as well as impacted history quite directly... and yet, it is irrelevant in my life -always has been.

(17-02-2012 04:33 PM)kim Wrote:  It's kind of like your babies and mentally disabled being elect, isn't it? If you don't know... if you can't obtain the knowledge...
That's in regards to good and evil.

No, my point was in regard to the conscious disregard of, and /or the unawareness of, something which may or may not have an impact on one's life.
I noted babies and mentally disabled people because you decided they were "elect".

My example might be; many Downes Syndrome people are fully capable of discerning between good and evil -right and wrong. If you speak with a person who has Downes Syndrome, they will discuss quite frankly everything about their condition but still, it is irrelevant to them; they get on with their life. It is usually someone else who makes Downes Syndrome impact that person's life. For all they know, everyone has the same thoughts and feelings they do, with or without Downes Syndrome.
To a person with Downes Syndrome, the condition itself is as meaningless to them, as say... God and religion might be to an Atheist.

What's the story about the missionary speaking with the native...
Native: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?"
Priest: "No, not if you did not know."
Native: "Then why did you tell me?"
Man: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
Doctor: Well, don't do that.
Stop telling people they are sick and they still might get sick, but at least they won't be hypochondriacs expecting to always be sick and die sooner than later.
Stop telling people they are sinful and they might not be perfect, but at least they won't be afraid of and expect to always be evil. Be aware of what you give people to live up to.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-02-2012, 12:24 AM
(20-02-2012 12:21 AM)kim Wrote:  Shit man, I adore Jerry Lewis... so there.

I didn't realize you were French. Huh

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
20-02-2012, 12:31 AM
(20-02-2012 12:24 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

I will admit to being an unashamed Francophile. Blush

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
20-02-2012, 12:35 AM
(20-02-2012 12:31 AM)kim Wrote:  
(20-02-2012 12:24 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

I will admit to being an unashamed Francophile. Blush

Hm...I'm a bit of an Anglophile. Does that make us rivals?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
20-02-2012, 09:44 AM
(17-02-2012 05:05 PM)Reactor Wrote:  You say that god gives you the desires you have.
I'm confused as to what you're saying. What type of constant miracle could happen in my mind?

KC, Ben's explanation is good enough I think, just tell me if you need further explanation.

(19-02-2012 10:35 PM)Ben Wrote:  I think he means, if god is placing your desires in you, is he manipulating the molecules in your brain constantly? Wouldn't we be able to observe those molecules disobeying the laws of physics, with the right technology?
[+] 1 user Likes Reactor's post