Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
20-02-2012, 09:45 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(09-12-2011 03:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Step right up, folks! Come one, come all. Come see the strange, intoxicating, and completely mind boggling views of a...

THEIST

Now, before we begin, a few ground rules:

*stares at Chas*

1) I am not here to convert you, and you are not here to convert me.

B) I am well aware you don't agree with my beliefs.
5) This is for educational purposes.
Lastly) I will explain things from a theist point of view (Christian - Calvinist).
3) The Bible is a valid authority for my beliefs.
VIIII) Act like a jerk, and you probably won't get answered. I am not obligated to answer you. All I ask is that you keep your civility.

I will do my best to answer your queries as honestly and completely as I know how.

Addendum #screw it) My username does not stem from my religious beliefs.
Addendum #monkey) I believe in evolution.
Addendum #number) I believe in a God-inspired Bible. This does not mean the Bible is 100% literal
Hey, i have a question. Sorry if it has already been asked. I honestly didn't go through all the questions.

My question is: Why does the true god use 'false religion' tactics to communicate to humans?

In other words. Why does god 'use man to write his divine word?'

To further elaborate so you fully understand my question. Before the bible was written, false men and false gods (for example: pyramid text) said that god spoke to man and wrote it down. Even in todays time, look at people like Joseph Smith (Mormon) says that god spoke to him and his writing is inspired. Throughout history man has invented false gods. But the only way to do that is to put his words in a book via man.

(According to the bible, he can directly speak to humans and/or just write it himself with fire and lightening like he did with the 10 commandments). And according to the bible something clean cannot come out something unclean.

So why does the true god use this already overused worldly tactic of 'using men to write his holy word?'

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Atheist Chiefs fan!'s post
22-02-2012, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2012 11:23 AM by kingschosen.)
(19-02-2012 10:35 PM)Ben Wrote:  I think he means, if god is placing your desires in you, is he manipulating the molecules in your brain constantly? Wouldn't we be able to observe those molecules disobeying the laws of physics, with the right technology?

God also created the evolution and science behind it, so it behaves exactly as it's supposed to biologically.
Kim, that still doesn't mean that being unaware of something is meaningless.

Real life example:

For 10 years, my dad was completely unaware that he a debilitating, terminal auto-immune disease because it had not manifested in anything but cold symptoms. In 2006, it fully manifested itself, and then he was diagnosed.

For the 10 years he had the disease and was unaware of it, was it meaningless?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-02-2012, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2012 01:42 PM by Reactor.)
(22-02-2012 11:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(19-02-2012 10:35 PM)Ben Wrote:  I think he means, if god is placing your desires in you, is he manipulating the molecules in your brain constantly? Wouldn't we be able to observe those molecules disobeying the laws of physics, with the right technology?

God also created the evolution and science behind it, so it behaves exactly as it's supposed to biologically.

Then God isn't not placing the desires in you.
OR You think that he placing the desires in you because billions of years(I dont know when the world was created) god made all the rules and planed everything that will happen so the desires you have are a result of god's actions billions of years ago.

It's also seems that the way you think of god's plan is the equivalent of the way some people see fate.
22-02-2012, 05:17 PM
(22-02-2012 11:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

So you think he arranged every particle at the big bang with the intention of some of them eventually forming into the electrons that carry this post to you?
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
22-02-2012, 05:27 PM
(20-02-2012 09:45 PM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  My question is: Why does the true god use 'false religion' tactics to communicate to humans?

It is a result of the existence of sin and the actions of the non-elect. In the end, it is God who deliberately leads them astray.

2 Thessalonians 2:11-12

For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie
and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

Quote:In other words. Why does god 'use man to write his divine word?'

I do not know why God chose to use humans to deliver his instructions. It is only by faith that Christians believe the Bible is the inspired message of God.
(22-02-2012 01:04 PM)Reactor Wrote:  Then God isn't not placing the desires in you.
OR You think that he placing the desires in you because billions of years(I dont know when the world was created) god made all the rules and planed everything that will happen so the desires you have are a result of god's actions billions of years ago.

Yes.

Quote:It's also seems that the way you think of god's plan is the equivalent of the way some people see fate.

GirlyMan compares my belief to nihilism except that I have God.
(22-02-2012 05:17 PM)Ben Wrote:  So you think he arranged every particle at the big bang with the intention of some of them eventually forming into the electrons that carry this post to you?

Yeppers.

Edit: Except it was before the Big Bang. It was before there was a "before".

23-02-2012, 01:53 AM
(22-02-2012 05:27 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
Quote:So you think he arranged every particle at the big bang with the intention of some of them eventually forming into the electrons that carry this post to you?

Yeppers.

Seems like your God is a non-interventionist now? After all his plan is so perfect that he can just let the universe run - he planned it from the very beginning. He won't change stuff now - it's not like I can do something and he'll be like "oh, that's not according to plan, lemme just zap that guy back into line"...
23-02-2012, 03:59 AM
(23-02-2012 01:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  
Quote:So you think he arranged every particle at the big bang with the intention of some of them eventually forming into the electrons that carry this post to you?

Yeppers.

Seems like your God is a non-interventionist now? After all his plan is so perfect that he can just let the universe run - he planned it from the very beginning. He won't change stuff now - it's not like I can do something and he'll be like "oh, that's not according to plan, lemme just zap that guy back into line"...

I didn't read more than 5% of this huge thread, but I'm self-important so I'm going to insert myself anyway.

If God is external enough to creation to, well, create it, then he would also be external to time. In fact, given our understanding of time as a dimension that is just weirdly different from the other dimensions (entropy must increase), it isn't much of a leap to go from an omnipresent God to a God that is present at all times as well. So there isn't really letting the universe run so much as there is fixing all points of not just space, but time as well. "Planning from the beginning" is an equivalent proposition to "planning from the end" or "planning from right now."

'course then free will is gone and other consequences. Trying to apply logic to something outside the universe, which makes it unobservable and removes the guarantee of consistency with other observations--rendering it inscrutable--is thoroughly pointless. What is the nature of things we have no hope of ever observing? I don't know and I don't care.
23-02-2012, 08:24 AM
(23-02-2012 03:59 AM)rook2004 Wrote:  
(23-02-2012 01:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  

Yeppers.

I didn't read more than 5% of this huge thread, but I'm self-important so I'm going to insert myself anyway.

If God is external enough to creation to, well, create it, then he would also be external to time. In fact, given our understanding of time as a dimension that is just weirdly different from the other dimensions (entropy must increase), it isn't much of a leap to go from an omnipresent God to a God that is present at all times as well. So there isn't really letting the universe run so much as there is fixing all points of not just space, but time as well. "Planning from the beginning" is an equivalent proposition to "planning from the end" or "planning from right now."

'course then free will is gone and other consequences. Trying to apply logic to something outside the universe, which makes it unobservable and removes the guarantee of consistency with other observations--rendering it inscrutable--is thoroughly pointless. What is the nature of things we have no hope of ever observing? I don't know and I don't care.

Rook explained it pretty well.

You have to understand that everything in His plan happens exactly as He wants it to. He is perfect, so His plan is perfect. His omnipresence allows Him to be present in all facets of time.

23-02-2012, 08:26 AM
(17-02-2012 02:33 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(16-02-2012 09:23 PM)Reactor Wrote:  Can miracles be explained with science?
Some can, some can't. Which ones are you asking about?
I just realized that if a miracle could be explained with science then we whould just call it natural occurrence(don't know if this is the correct term), so miracles by definition can't be explained with science.

Also, could you tell me some things that god is preventing you from doing or they are against god's plan or the desires that god planted in your head and it's not against the law.(if there are any)
23-02-2012, 09:00 AM
(23-02-2012 08:26 AM)Reactor Wrote:  Also, could you tell me some things that god is preventing you from doing or they are against god's plan or the desires that god planted in your head and it's not against the law.(if there are any)

Well, I can't tell you what He's preventing me from doing... that's pretty much an infinite list.

As for my current desires:

To love my family with all my being.
To provide for my family.
To be patient and empathetic to all peoples.
To share my experiences and my personal thoughts and opinions on this site.

This isn't the full list (obviously), but this is just what popped into my head when you asked the question.