Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
08-03-2012, 05:46 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
Again though you speak as religion was sentient.
That would freak my shit out man.
I agree that the sheep need a shepherd (although when there is no shepherd available a sheep will usually step up) but the shepherd isn't religion it's the religious leader. I hate religion because I like you do, see it as a tool to be used badly. But I understand that it can also be a tool for good. People are te determining factor here.
We are inherently selfish. We are destructive. We are afraid. But most of all we crave power usually because of the other three things. It's unfortunate that any organization that has the potential to guide people to do bad things will ultimately be used that way almost exclusively.
There's just so much more to e gained from bad deeds. And it's a he'll of a lot easier.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
10-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Just a quick question, what is that a gif of in your signature King

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
10-03-2012, 09:23 PM
(10-03-2012 09:15 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Just a quick question, what is that a gif of in your signature King

That's Benny Hinn "saving" people from hell.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-03-2012, 11:18 PM
After making some research about Calvinism I found that there are a lot of people who disagree with it. Some even label it "heresy" (well, seems like people just LOVE to label things "heresy" for some reason).

A few problems with Calvinism:

1. God punishes people for actions he forces them to commit.
It's like someone forces my hands to touch someones boobs, and then blames me for it? I don't buy it.

2. The sacrifice of Jesus Christ seems utterly pointless. God could simply "elect" people with or without him. "Sin and Punishment" also seems pointless, as God is the one doing the sinning.

3. I still find the existence of other religions the main flawed point of Calvinism.
Let's say there is a muslim who has "felt" Allah. According to Calvinism God wanted him to "feel" Allah?
You might argue that "God works in mysterious ways". But could this not mean that your religion is wrong, and his religion is right? After all, "Allah works in mysterious ways"? People of other religions have had the same feeling as you have, so what makes them less right?

4. You say that homosexuality isn't wrong per se. But the bible is pretty clear on this point.

Also, I would love to know more about the evolution/adam theory.

I agree that Calvinism answers a lot of questions "normal" Christianity doesn't (I don't feel like listing them now), but some things are too far-fetched to be believable.

I can rephrase some of the questions if they were unclear or offensive (not intended). Angel
10-03-2012, 11:45 PM
(10-03-2012 11:18 PM)Dust Wrote:  It's like someone forces my hands to touch someones boobs, and then blames me for it? I don't buy it.

You don't have to buy it, Brotha, you just have to be VERY convincing when you say it! Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-03-2012, 05:50 PM
(10-03-2012 11:18 PM)Dust Wrote:  After making some research about Calvinism I found that there are a lot of people who disagree with it. Some even label it "heresy" (well, seems like people just LOVE to label things "heresy" for some reason).

Some of the most reputable and famous theologians throughout history have been reformed; not to mention Paul and Jesus...

Quote:A few problems with Calvinism:

1. God punishes people for actions he forces them to commit.
It's like someone forces my hands to touch someones boobs, and then blames me for it? I don't buy it.

This is a result of the purpose of Christ.

Quote:2. The sacrifice of Jesus Christ seems utterly pointless. God could simply "elect" people with or without him. "Sin and Punishment" also seems pointless, as God is the one doing the sinning.

Humanity exists because of Christ. He doesn't exist because of humanity. It was Christ's purpose to save the elect.

Quote:3. I still find the existence of other religions the main flawed point of Calvinism.
Let's say there is a muslim who has "felt" Allah. According to Calvinism God wanted him to "feel" Allah?
You might argue that "God works in mysterious ways". But could this not mean that your religion is wrong, and his religion is right? After all, "Allah works in mysterious ways"? People of other religions have had the same feeling as you have, so what makes them less right?

It's no more strange than having sin in the world. God created all the sin in evil so that Christ would have a purpose (I feel like a broken record). Sin has to exist, so, that means, all facets of sin exists - including false religions.

Quote:4. You say that homosexuality isn't wrong per se. But the bible is pretty clear on this point.

No, homosexuality is condemned. I never said it wasn't wrong. I said it's of no concern of mine. God created them that way. If they are elect, this is an issue between that person and God.

Quote:Also, I would love to know more about the evolution/adam theory.

I'll write it out for you later.

Quote:I agree that Calvinism answers a lot of questions "normal" Christianity doesn't (I don't feel like listing them now), but some things are too far-fetched to be believable.

I have to disagree. I still feel like things are reconciled.

11-03-2012, 06:11 PM
A reputable theologian is kinda like a snake oil salesman than can give correct change.
He knows that what he is selling is useless garbage but makes an honest transaction of it.

This Calvinism thing sure is wacky.
It has so little common sense to it.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes TalladegaTom's post
11-03-2012, 06:15 PM
(11-03-2012 05:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Some of the most reputable and famous theologians throughout history have been reformed; not to mention Paul and Jesus...

Come on, dude. This is a bit much, even from you.

[Image: IySPC.gif]

That's just like me saying, when I was a Seventh Day Baptist, that John the Baptist started our denomination because he was a Sabbath keeper believed in Baptism by Immersion. Your beliefs are wacky enough without trying to say Jesus and Paul were Reformed.

[Image: reaction.gif]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Eric:

For Paul - Romans 9, Eph 1, 2 Thess 2, etc

For Jesus - Matt 24:22-24 (just one example)
22 Unless those days had been cut short, no [j]life would have been saved; but for the sake of the [k]elect those days will be cut short. 23 Then if anyone says to you, ‘Behold, here is the [l]Christ,’ or ‘[m]There He is,’ do not believe him. 24 For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will [n]show great [o]signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the [p]elect.

11-03-2012, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2012 06:41 PM by GirlyMan.)
... oops, wrong thread.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post