Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
12-03-2012, 05:50 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
TT, the rules he set is probably for him not to be "jumped" in this thread, as being a believer on an atheist forum is quite hard. I'll let him speak for himself though.

Quote:Some of the most reputable and famous theologians throughout history have been reformed; not to mention Paul and Jesus...

This sounded a bit extreme, but you have explained this.

Quote:This is a result of the purpose of Christ.

The boob-touching is a result of the purpose of Christ? I guess if you completely believe in the predestined thingy it makes more sense.

Quote:Humanity exists because of Christ. He doesn't exist because of humanity. It was Christ's purpose to save the elect.

Humanity existed long before Christ. Even if he was predestined to come, I still find his coming to be quite "minor" because of the election which could have happened anyway.

Quote:
Quote:3. I still find the existence of other religions the main flawed point of Calvinism.
Let's say there is a muslim who has "felt" Allah. According to Calvinism God wanted him to "feel" Allah?
You might argue that "God works in mysterious ways". But could this not mean that your religion is wrong, and his religion is right? After all, "Allah works in mysterious ways"? People of other religions have had the same feeling as you have, so what makes them less right?

It's no more strange than having sin in the world. God created all the sin in evil so that Christ would have a purpose (I feel like a broken record). Sin has to exist, so, that means, all facets of sin exists - including false religions.

Not quite the answer I was looking for.
The main question was that since you believe God created false religions, what makes you so sure that is was in fact not Allah who created false religions? This boils down to a "belief vs belief" thing, but how can you be so sure that you are right and they are wrong?

Quote:No, homosexuality is condemned. I never said it wasn't wrong. I said it's of no concern of mine. God created them that way. If they are elect, this is an issue between that person and God.

Fair enough. I don't want to talk too much about it since I don't want to encourage any dislike for homosexuals.

Quote:I'll write it out for you later.

Thanks.

By the way, what are your thoughts about Benny Hinn (the one in your sig)?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Educating and preaching sure is a fine line.
The second I see scripture along with things put as a matter of fact like "This is a result of the purpose of Christ." it sure begins to look like preaching to me.
Dogmatic as well.
He seems unable to make any real god point without cherry picking and manipulating the bible within his own mind to make it fit his way.

Note the definition of "preach" in the dictionary, it's just like "teach".

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2012, 09:02 AM
You are aware that this line is also something atheists can cross too right?
TT I'm talking to you, just wanted you to be sure that I was talking to you.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
12-03-2012, 09:15 AM
(12-03-2012 09:02 AM)lucradis Wrote:  You are aware that this line is also something atheists can cross too right?
TT I'm talking to you, just wanted you to be sure that I was talking to you.

Did I cross it here in your opinion?

12-03-2012, 09:19 AM
(11-03-2012 09:37 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  So, to be clear then, this thread is meant for YOU to do all the "educating" on YOUR version of belief. Specifically Calvinism.

Yes.

Quote:Any attempts to point out flaws or "educate" you towards another view is "trite" and is off limits according to the rules YOU have set....on The Thinking Atheist.

Yes. Don't like it, then make a new thread addressing it... on the The Thinking Atheist.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
12-03-2012, 09:21 AM
No, but in my opinion no one has, not even Egor.
It just irks me when atheists all sit there preaching the gospel of no god and then jump all over the guy doing the opposite. TT

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
12-03-2012, 09:25 AM
(12-03-2012 09:19 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-03-2012 09:37 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  So, to be clear then, this thread is meant for YOU to do all the "educating" on YOUR version of belief. Specifically Calvinism.

Yes.

Quote:Any attempts to point out flaws or "educate" you towards another view is "trite" and is off limits according to the rules YOU have set....on The Thinking Atheist.

Yes. Don't like it, then make a new thread addressing it... on the The Thinking Atheist.

You're a bad man KC. A bad man from a bad part of town born on a bad day. You're so bad, er... ja. You're really bad. I just thought you should know that Big Grin
12-03-2012, 09:27 AM
(12-03-2012 05:50 AM)Dust Wrote:  TT, the rules he set is probably for him not to be "jumped" in this thread, as being a believer on an atheist forum is quite hard. I'll let him speak for himself though.

It's just to maintain some type of order and keep the thread from becoming a train wreck.

Quote:The boob-touching is a result of the purpose of Christ? I guess if you completely believe in the predestined thingy it makes more sense.

It's more of an understanding of sin and why it's needed for Christ.

Quote:Humanity existed long before Christ. Even if he was predestined to come, I still find his coming to be quite "minor" because of the election which could have happened anyway.

Yeah, humanity did; however, Christ is also God. Christ's sacrifice was for all sins - past, present, and future. Christ's death was the focal point of all of humanity.

The election happened because of Christ's predestined sacrifice. The "plan" was devised and the elect were chosen at the same time (from the beginning), but the elect are dependent on the plan.

Quote:Not quite the answer I was looking for.
The main question was that since you believe God created false religions, what makes you so sure that is was in fact not Allah who created false religions? This boils down to a "belief vs belief" thing, but how can you be so sure that you are right and they are wrong?

Oh sorry... misunderstood your question. The answer is faith. There isn't anything else but faith.

Quote:By the way, what are your thoughts about Benny Hinn (the one in your sig)?

I think WoF is a cult and mocks Christianity and the purpose of Christ. Their practices align more with pagan religions and rituals than Christianity; also, they falsely preach prosperity.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
12-03-2012, 09:35 AM
(12-03-2012 09:27 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  There isn't anything else but faith.

That is vapid.

Yet folks cling to it like a wet napkin.

12-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Quote:I think WoF is a cult and mocks Christianity and the purpose of Christ. Their practices align more with pagan religions and rituals than Christianity; also, they falsely preach prosperity.

Phew. I was scared that since you are using that as a signature you would believe in him.

Well, since it all revolves around faith, it is in fact (in my opinion) impossible to claim that one religion is right and the other is not.