Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
12-03-2012, 11:57 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(12-03-2012 11:38 AM)Dust Wrote:  
Quote:I think WoF is a cult and mocks Christianity and the purpose of Christ. Their practices align more with pagan religions and rituals than Christianity; also, they falsely preach prosperity.

Phew. I was scared that since you are using that as a signature you would believe in him.

Well, since it all revolves around faith, it is in fact (in my opinion) impossible to claim that one religion is right and the other is not.

Yep. This is why God gave us faith.

I wrote about it here.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2012, 05:10 PM
(12-03-2012 11:57 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yep. This is why God gave us faith.

Faith. That clears it all up nicely. Rolleyes

Nothing has been more divisive than a god leaving all the answers to faith.

If god were to exist, it could easily do better.
Faith is completely empty.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-03-2012, 09:28 AM
(12-03-2012 05:10 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  
(12-03-2012 11:57 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yep. This is why God gave us faith.

Faith. That clears it all up nicely. Rolleyes

Nothing has been more divisive than a god leaving all the answers to faith.

If god were to exist, it could easily do better.
Faith is completely empty.

I thoroughly explain why faith is necessary in the topic I linked.

14-03-2012, 09:59 AM
(14-03-2012 09:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I thoroughly explain why faith is necessary in the topic I linked.

Yes you have. I am most unconvinced that faith is necessary or even needed at all to survive and thrive.
It is thoroughly illogical and is a most silly way to go about your life as some here have also tried to explain.

But, that is is how folks that see the world through god glasses operate.
Having all your eggs in the faith basket leaves you with nothing but those things that are intangible.
This makes you feel comfortable as faith makes it easy for you to justify these ideas in your own mind regardless of the reality that surrounds you.
You have talked yourself into it so deeply that it may be a good long while before you recover your senses.
To put that much emphasis on something that is so weak is sure to lead to incorrect conclusions.
Faith is a poor method of understanding anything.

"In this talk, Dr. Peter Boghossian argues that faith-based processes are unreliable and unlikely to lead one to the truth. Since our goal as knowers is to have more true beliefs than false ones, faith, as a process for getting to the truth, should be abandoned in favor of other, more reliable processes."

Note, the lecture begins at the 9 minute mark if you wish to skip all the intros.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
[+] 2 users Like TalladegaTom's post
14-03-2012, 11:48 PM
I have a question for A theist.

My starting assumption: I realize you place less emphasis upon the Old Testament than maybe most Bible Believers would. It is somewhat useful for revealing the character of God, but you're not so concerned with the veracity of the stories or the validity of the laws and regulations.

So, my question is simply: If the Old Testament was found to be a completely fraudulent document, would you still be a Christ follower solely based on the New Testament or would you have to give up on the idea of a YHWH type god?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
15-03-2012, 07:36 AM
(14-03-2012 11:48 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  My starting assumption: I realize you place less emphasis upon the Old Testament than maybe most Bible Believers would. It is somewhat useful for revealing the character of God, but you're not so concerned with the veracity of the stories or the validity of the laws and regulations.

So, my question is simply: If the Old Testament was found to be a completely fraudulent document, would you still be a Christ follower solely based on the New Testament or would you have to give up on the idea of a YHWH type god?

I might up the idea of the historical YHWH, and how He is presented in the Bible; however, I could never deny what happened to me. To me, this is enough proof to believe in God, and God has led me to the understanding of Christianity.

15-03-2012, 07:58 AM
(15-03-2012 07:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-03-2012 11:48 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  My starting assumption: I realize you place less emphasis upon the Old Testament than maybe most Bible Believers would. It is somewhat useful for revealing the character of God, but you're not so concerned with the veracity of the stories or the validity of the laws and regulations.

I might up the idea of the historical YHWH, and how He is presented in the Bible; however, I could never deny what happened to me. To me, this is enough proof to believe in God, and God has led me to the understanding of Christianity.

Rolleyes

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
15-03-2012, 08:01 AM
*give up

Not "up"

Stupid morning typing...

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
15-03-2012, 08:30 AM
(14-03-2012 09:59 AM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  Faith is a poor method of understanding anything.

Agree. Disagree that faith is unnecessary. I'm a highly scientific, mathematical entity; for me faith is a one-word descriptor of all that remains undefined. I have faith in Gwyneth, which is literally absurd but figuratively equivalent to religious faith. I get atheistic when religious types attempt to word faith. That kind of thing leads to dictation. Am I to require others' fealty to a certain blond? Ridiculous.

But when I'm stepping forward into an unknown quantity - like "today" - it's the "Gwynnies smiling at me" that gives me the faith to go forward. Tongue

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
15-03-2012, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2012 09:00 AM by Logisch.)
I have an ask a theist question. I've always wondered this (even when I was a Christian). I guess it's more than one question. Or rather, multiple examples for questions.

When someone said.....

- "God spoke to me and told me...." I thought.... "You're batshit crazy."
- "God taught me to speak on those tongues." I thought "You're full of shit."
- "It was divine intervention, God spoke to me." I thought "Yeah right."

So how is it.... "When someone knows god spoke to them"? I always thought someone either wanted something so bad that they convinced themselves they deserved it or wanted it or were entitled that they'd "pray" about it and come to the conclusion after feeling good on contemplation that it was god that told them this or that. So how does someone "Know" then? I guess I'd like to hear it from a theist side because when I was a theist I really didn't believe it. I thought of course when I'd pray and something good happened, well that must have been it! But if someone else said it happened to them I thought - "yeah right dude prove it."

How do you define divine intervention?
How do you know it's divine intervention?
Lastly how do you know it's not random chance or coincidence?