Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
15-03-2012, 11:42 AM
RE: Ask a Theist!
(15-03-2012 08:55 AM)Logisch Wrote:  So how is it.... "When someone knows god spoke to them"?

For me, it's really hard to explain. It's just a feeling, I suppose. The closer I get to God, the clearer it becomes. I also believe that God is the author of my desires, so when God speaks to me through my desires it is evident what He wants me to do.

Quote:How do you define divine intervention?

I do not believe in divine intervention. I only believe in divine predestination. God doesn't intervene because He planned for everything to happen exactly as it does.

Quote:How do you know it's divine intervention?

See above

Quote:Lastly how do you know it's not random chance or coincidence?

See above

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2012, 11:44 AM
‘In every person’s heart there is a God-shaped hole.’
PLEASE READ THIS ARTICLE:
http://www.christianpost.com/news/former...god-49558/

I posted this response the other day but must have done something wrong cause I can't find it anywhere. So here is it again.
It is not a theists job to convert an atheist. Many well meaning theists try to give you explanations and answers as to why they believe in God and their words bounce off the atheists brain like a ball bouncing off a brick wall. Why? Because the atheist, when asking questions are not sincere in their quest to find God. They are only asking to gather more information that they can make fun of. If you are an atheist but sincerely want to find God then it is up to you to find him. He will not reveal himself to you if you aren't truly trying to find him. He says in psalm 14:1The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.Jeremiah 29:13 >> You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
15-03-2012, 11:48 AM
(15-03-2012 11:44 AM)freedom Wrote:  ‘In every person’s heart there is a God-shaped hole.’

I posted this response the other day but must have done something wrong cause I can't find it anywhere. So here is it again.
It is not a theists job to convert an atheist. Many well meaning theists try to give you explanations and answers as to why they believe in God and their words bounce off the atheists brain like a ball bouncing off a brick wall. Why? Because the atheist, when asking questions are not sincere in their quest to find God. They are only asking to gather more information that they can make fun of. If you are an atheist but sincerely want to find God then it is up to you to find him. He will not reveal himself to you if you aren't truly trying to find him. He says in psalm 14:1The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.Jeremiah 29:13 >> You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

What in the flyin' monkey crap does that have to do with anything in this topic/responses?

[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
15-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Personally when I ask questions of someone like KC it is because I am trying to learn where he is coming from. The human mind fascinates me. I'm not coming to god at all, nor am I pretending to.

I think the difference is that when an atheist asks questions of a theist they have one of two things in mind, mockery, or genuine interest. Meanwhile I think when most theists come to talk god with atheists it's because they are trying conversion tactics or practicing debate. Zero interest in seeing the other side. Not always the case mind you.

Do you envision yourself as a white knight?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
15-03-2012, 11:54 AM
(15-03-2012 11:51 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Personally when I ask questions of someone like KC it is because I am trying to learn where he is coming from. The human mind fascinates me. I'm not coming to god at all, nor am I pretending to.

I think the difference is that when an atheist asks questions of a theist they have one of two things in mind, mockery, or genuine interest. Meanwhile I think when most theists come to talk god with atheists it's because they are trying conversion tactics or practicing debate. Zero interest in seeing the other side. Not always the case mind you.

Truth right hurr

I mean, of all the theists that have come to TTA, I'm thinking we could count on our hands the ones who were genuinely interested in what atheists had to say.

15-03-2012, 02:42 PM
(15-03-2012 11:54 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I mean, of all the theists that have come to TTA, I'm thinking we could count on our hands the ones who were genuinely interested in what atheists had to say.

Hands is a slight exaggeration... Now if you had said one hand with some fingers missing, I'd say it was more accurate....

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
15-03-2012, 08:48 PM
(15-03-2012 11:51 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Personally when I ask questions of someone like KC it is because I am trying to learn where he is coming from. The human mind fascinates me. I'm not coming to god at all, nor am I pretending to.

Agreed. It's nice to understand people from their perspective.

And kingschosen thank you for answering my questions honestly and with sincerity. I find it difficult to understand because my sister seems to believe in divine intervention (not predestination) as you described. She even has a little blog she keeps and talks all the time about everything in her life is divine intervention. She never wants to try and explain it when I ask her. So thank you for answering it from a theist perspective.
16-03-2012, 06:12 AM
(15-03-2012 11:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-03-2012 11:44 AM)freedom Wrote:  ‘In every person’s heart there is a God-shaped hole.’

What in the flyin' monkey crap does that have to do with anything in this topic/responses?

The title says "ask a theist," but it's more like "KC tells the heathens what's what." While there are atheist that seem to do exactly as you say, freedom, not so much here. We'll listen if you got something to say. Posting a link to an apologistic heap o' noise, however, ain't you saying something.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-03-2012, 09:43 AM

[Image: preach_thumb.gif]

KC do you believe calvinism allows you to more open-heartedly discuss belief, instead of preaching? Since you are "chosen" you can more freely associate with atheists for instance?
16-03-2012, 09:48 AM
(16-03-2012 09:43 AM)Dust Wrote:  KC do you believe calvinism allows you to more open-heartedly discuss belief, instead of preaching? Since you are "chosen" you can more freely associate with atheists for instance?

I'm not sure. This is just my personality; however, the Calvinists I know are definitely more open and less condescending.

I'm know that trying to shove something down someone's throat never works... besides, it's not my job to convert people. That's God's job. I only do what He wants.