Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
18-03-2012, 05:24 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
This might sound silly KC but if everything is predetermined, why did god create you with emotion? If everything that happens was going to happen anyway than surely it wasn't in your control which means you shouldn't feel guilt if you did something bad or happiness when you do something good. What's the point in it all?

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ALovelyChickenMan's post
19-03-2012, 11:21 AM
@ALovelyChickenMan

This is a good question.

God created us with emotion because we are made in His image and God is emotional. We experience emotions because they are integral in understanding God. Without emotions, we would be robots. With emotion, we are able to know love, hate, anger, sadness, happiness, and joy in a way that God experiences them.

This also a defines us as humans. We are created to be emotional.

Yes, everything is predetermined, and guilt is associated with emotions so that we can better understand the character of God. The closer we are to God, the more we seek His character, the more we understand it.

We are created emotional for our own benefit and as a way to understand God.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
19-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the response KC but I think that's rather mean of god don't you think? Making us feel emotions for actions that were never in our control in the first place.

Anyway, I have another question I hope you will answer; why does god have emotions such as anger, hate, sadness and happiness? Especially anger. That one doesn't make sense to me. Like he knows what you're going to do, he knew that many religions would come and be corrupt because he created them that way. Why would he be angry at his own creation? It's not like he's given them free will or anything of the sort so why is he so mad?

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
19-03-2012, 11:59 AM
(19-03-2012 11:56 AM)ALovelyChickenMan Wrote:  Thanks for the response KC but I think that's rather mean of god don't you think? Making us feel emotions for actions that were never in our control in the first place.

Anyway, I have another question I hope you will answer; why does god have emotions such as anger, hate, sadness and happiness? Especially anger. That one doesn't make sense to me. Like he knows what you're going to do, he knew that many religions would come and be corrupt because he created them that way. Why would he be angry at his own creation? It's not like he's given them free will or anything of the sort so why is he so mad?

senile
19-03-2012, 12:43 PM
All emotions require an element of surprise.

You cannot laugh at a joke if you know what the punchline is. Imagine watching the same joke, told by the same person a thousand times. On the thousanth time, do you laugh?

Same for anger. If you let go of your cup, in mid air and expect it to stay there suspended in mid air, but instead it falls to the ground and breaks, do you get angry at gravity?

If god already knows everything, then god cannot experience emotion, well other then that of extreme boredom. Imagine watching for over 14 billion years, events happen that you already knew would happen.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
20-03-2012, 09:03 PM
(19-03-2012 12:43 PM)Stevil Wrote:  If god already knows everything, then god cannot experience emotion, well other then that of extreme boredom. Imagine watching for over 14 billion years, events happen that you already knew would happen.

Interesting thoughts. I think that emotions for a deity such as this would be irrelevant. Boredom itself is an emotion. Not a 1st order emotion like anger. Its a value judgement on a set of experiences so it's slightly more complex.

Emotions are interesting since they have different levels of complexity. Like jealousy or embarrassment. Only higher animals are capable of emotions like jealousy.

I believe entities that aren't trapped in a meatbody. That have near infinite resources to draw on and intelligence that's not limited by the potential of a ~400g fatty grey mass of cells. Its an entirely different ball game.

Such an entity would be completely alien to us. It can out-think us and predict our moves from it's knowledge of our intentions and motivations.

Such an entity might exist one day in the form of a weakly godlike artificial intelligence. It would be able to construct a near perfect model of someone and run millions of different scenarios on that model. It could think its way around the average un-augmented human.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 3 users Like DeepThought's post
21-03-2012, 10:18 AM
This is interesting:
http://999ktdy.com/paul-harvey-if-i-were...-on-today/
21-03-2012, 05:58 PM
(20-03-2012 09:03 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Such an entity might exist one day in the form of a weakly godlike artificial intelligence.

Don't think we'll ever be able to capture intelligence algorithmically, even with stochastic algorithms. But we already have seen how we can vastly increase intelligence by augmenting it algorithmically. Wire that silicon to my brain with artificial axons and dendrites and then I become that weakly godlike artificial intelligence. ... I mean that's gonna happen. It's almost here now.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
21-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Hello kingschosen.

I don't know if you have already covered this because I skipped over 96 pages of posts, but here it goes.

I have yet to find a Christian give a reasonable explanation to this question:

Since Hitler's victims were mostly Jews, and Jews by definition do not believe in Jesus Christ, does that not mean that God allowed the Jews to die in gas chambers, only for them to enter into an eternal inferno?

Next:

If God knows the end from the beginning, and wishes that none perish, then why did he create those whom he foreknew would go to hell?

God is a personification of who we are, what we wish to be, and that which we do not understand.
22-03-2012, 12:55 PM
(19-03-2012 11:56 AM)ALovelyChickenMan Wrote:  Thanks for the response KC but I think that's rather mean of god don't you think? Making us feel emotions for actions that were never in our control in the first place.

Again, I guess it's a matter of perspective. Sure, I suppose it can be mean, but it's also a blessing. Feeling emotions like this is part of our humanity. Yes, we feel negative emotions, but we also feel positive emotions. God wanted us to experience that; regardless, if it was predetermined or not.

Quote:Anyway, I have another question I hope you will answer; why does god have emotions such as anger, hate, sadness and happiness? Especially anger. That one doesn't make sense to me. Like he knows what you're going to do, he knew that many religions would come and be corrupt because he created them that way. Why would he be angry at his own creation? It's not like he's given them free will or anything of the sort so why is he so mad?

It's according to His purpose. He has anger towards evil not because He can't control it, but because it's a necessary part of His plan. He created evil as a necessity for Christ's purpose; however, this doesn't mean that he revels in it. He called it "good" which, in the Hebrew, means it was functionally "good" - not a moral "good".

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]