Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
22-03-2012, 01:10 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
Quote: God wanted us to experience that; regardless, if it was predetermined or not.

I keep wondering how you know all this. How do you know god has a full range of emotions? Mostly what I saw in the bible was anger and jealousy.

And how do you know what he wants us to experience?

And again, others have asked and there still is not an answer that makes sense.

For what reason could he possibly create beings knowing they will be deficient for his purposes and he will kill them and/or make them suffer in ETERNITY? That seems like such a cruel game.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
22-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Christianity is true if and only if the god of the Old Testament is true.
The god of the Old Testament is false.
Therefore Christianity is false.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
22-03-2012, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2012 03:16 PM by kingschosen.)
(21-03-2012 08:02 PM)Stardust Wrote:  Since Hitler's victims were mostly Jews, and Jews by definition do not believe in Jesus Christ, does that not mean that God allowed the Jews to die in gas chambers, only for them to enter into an eternal inferno?

Yes. God damns who He wants and saves who He wants. God is sovereign.

Quote:If God knows the end from the beginning, and wishes that none perish, then why did he create those whom he foreknew would go to hell?

God wishes none to perish in the sense that He loves His creations; however, it is required for some to perish based on the original plan and purpose of Christ. His predestined plan and purpose for Christ damns people to hell.

Humanity does not take precedence over God's providence. We are subservient to it.
(22-03-2012 01:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  I keep wondering how you know all this. How do you know god has a full range of emotions? Mostly what I saw in the bible was anger and jealousy.

And how do you know what he wants us to experience?

And again, others have asked and there still is not an answer that makes sense.

For what reason could he possibly create beings knowing they will be deficient for his purposes and he will kill them and/or make them suffer in ETERNITY? That seems like such a cruel game.

I do not claim to "know" anything. I am as faulty as anyone else. This is what has been revealed to me through scripture and studying.

I'm not arrogant enough to say I "know" anything. I could be 100% wrong about everything; however, my convictions are what I've described not only in this thread but also the others.

These answers are purely based on my understanding of God and scripture. Take everything I say (whether you're an atheist or theist) with a grain of salt. I claim ZERO authority.
(22-03-2012 03:09 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Christianity is true if and only if the god of the Old Testament is true.

Sapphires are blue.
The ocean is blue.
Therefore, the ocean is made of sapphires.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
22-03-2012, 03:34 PM
(22-03-2012 03:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(22-03-2012 03:09 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  Christianity is true if and only if the god of the Old Testament is true.

Sapphires are blue.
The ocean is blue.
Therefore, the ocean is made of sapphires.

Uh. This is not the same logical deduction. If I replace sapphires with Christianity, blue with false (or true, there is no clear fit for which I should choose), the ocean with the God of the old testament... I don't get the same thing.

PP 1 KC -1, yes, you scored an own goal Wink
22-03-2012, 03:37 PM
(22-03-2012 03:34 PM)morondog Wrote:  Uh. This is not the same logical deduction. If I replace sapphires with Christianity, blue with false (or true, there is no clear fit for which I should choose), the ocean with the God of the old testament... I don't get the same thing.

PP 1 KC -1, yes, you scored an own goal Wink

It's a premise.

-_-

It's not meant to be a literal transposition.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
22-03-2012, 03:41 PM
(22-03-2012 03:37 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's a premise.

-_-

I submit that you hath derped. I also submit that I'm overly pedantic in pointing out derpery in others, while at the same time not seeing my own derpisms. Consider yourself derped.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
22-03-2012, 10:53 PM
(22-03-2012 03:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-03-2012 03:37 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's a premise.

-_-

I submit that you hath derped. I also submit that I'm overly pedantic in pointing out derpery in others, while at the same time not seeing my own derpisms. Consider yourself derped.

Plenty of derp to go around, fuckin' derps.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-03-2012, 10:07 AM
(22-03-2012 10:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-03-2012 03:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  I submit that you hath derped. I also submit that I'm overly pedantic in pointing out derpery in others, while at the same time not seeing my own derpisms. Consider yourself derped.

Plenty of derp to go around, fuckin' derps.
Derp you!

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
28-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Have you, in depth, looked into all the other major world religions? Why are you not a Hindu or muslim?

I would like to here what you say to that.
Not trying to be a dick here though.
28-03-2012, 09:53 AM
(28-03-2012 09:49 AM)Magoo Wrote:  Have you, in depth, looked into all the other major world religions. Why are you not a Hindu or muslim?

I would like to here what you say to that?
During my search for what happened to me, I looked briefly into Hinduism and extensively (I read the Qur'an) into Islam.

Looking into these religions, I felt that they did not answer my questions; moreover, they felt like "history" and "stories" to me. As I've said before, it wasn't until I read parts of the Bible that what happened to me started to make sense.