Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 5 Average
09-12-2011, 03:43 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
What - raised, deconverted and reconverted, all in one year? And nothing new in the five years since?

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
09-12-2011, 03:47 PM
(09-12-2011 03:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Now, before we begin, a few ground rules:

*stares at Chas*

Big Grin

Well, that's the problem. kingschosen is already somewhat of a known quantity. I ain't got no questions. Wink

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
09-12-2011, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 03:55 PM by kingschosen.)
(09-12-2011 03:43 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  What - raised, deconverted and reconverted, all in one year? And nothing new in the five years since?

Oh sorry, I thought you were asking about my conversion from agnosticism.

Raised as a Christian
Became an agnostic ~2001.
Regenerated in 2006
Continue to live as a Christian
(09-12-2011 03:47 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 03:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Now, before we begin, a few ground rules:

*stares at Chas*

Big Grin

Well, that's the problem. kingschosen is already somewhat of a known quantity. I ain't got no questions. Wink

2.5 weeks, man. Still new here Smile

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Assuming that my mother is in heaven and I will (obviously) go to hell... How can she be happy there?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
09-12-2011, 04:01 PM
It's really hard for people not to stare. Cool

Since you agree that the religious feeling may be no more than that, have you considered medical or psychiatric care, or pharmacological treatment?

Seriously. This kind of sudden change could be symptomatic of a medical problem, e.g. brain aneurism, tumor.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
09-12-2011, 04:08 PM
I'd like to ask which god was Jesus referring to when he declared himself Son of God, given that YHWH /Yahu'Yahweh, the Hebrew god in the Bible, was an invented god, probably of the Edomites.

If Jesus was referring to Yahweh, then how could he be the son of an invented god?

Perhaps there's a god that we don't know of, so was Jesus referring to a generic god and not the god of the Hebrews?

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
[+] 2 users Like Organon's post
09-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Smile

Since you said ask anything, and since you claim to be impervious to offense.... Hee hee...

Disclaimer, you must be 18+ to view this post... Hee hee...

How is your sex life as a theist who believes in the bible, heaven and god? Do you have boring sex or is it fun sex? Do you take joy in it or treat it as a mandatory task? Do you ever think of your relatives watching you do it while they are up in heaven? Smiling down for a reason? Or God watching you do it like a sicko?

I ask because for like a week when I was a kid I wouldn't masturbate because I couldn't stop thinking about how if there is a heaven everyone is looking at me. Then I just kinda went "Fuck it, I'll bet they did it too and if I even manage to get to heaven we'll all have a creepy little laugh over it..." Then I resumed the good times.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 6 users Like lucradis's post
09-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Hey, King.

Bravo for starting this thread.

I have three questions.

1 - Are you a creationist? If so, how do you reconcile your faith in creationism with scientific data that opposes it?

2 - The Good News of Jesus Christ is pretty positive, but there are many passages in the Bible that are pretty over the top, shall we say, violent. It seems to be a pretty large contradiction. What do you say to people that say the violence in the Bible means that Christianity is doomed to be a religion of blood and violence? Or to state it another way, how do you convince someone that Christianity is a positive religion given these sorts of passages?

3 - My belief is that the hierarchical organisations that run most Christian sects can be as damaging as multi-national corporations in terms of the toll they exact on the world. Some people would call this corrupt behaviour, but I believe that this notion of corruption is not a problem of the system, but a feature. Thus nothing is corrupted because it is functioning normally. All of this is to say that massive power maximising hierarchies are bad m'kay. Do you believe that it is possible to extrude the positive aspects of Christianity from the monolith of the organisation or do you think that the two are inextricable?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 3 users Like Ghost's post
09-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Knew the Chosen One was going to prove useful here.

How do you find the promise of a postmortem preservation of identity even conceivable, let alone tenable? Any reasonable, non-magical mechanism of action will suffice.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-12-2011, 05:44 PM
What's the longest word in the Bible?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Another convo with a theist =jesse= 6 140 25-06-2014 09:50 AM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Using theist arguments to 'prove' God does not exist Mathilda 30 572 01-06-2014 03:29 PM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  Dating a Theist, easier for a guy or a girl? Raptor Jesus 31 389 28-05-2014 10:23 AM
Last Post: Impulse
  What kind of atheist converts to a theist? RedJamaX 88 2,394 13-05-2014 09:14 AM
Last Post: Bible Belt Brawler
  I Need Relationship Advice - An Atheist together with a Theist Aristotle 15 355 31-03-2014 07:49 AM
Last Post: mknight
  Challenge any theist to a debate donotwant 30 528 14-03-2014 09:30 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Just converted a theist donotwant 6 192 09-03-2014 09:32 PM
Last Post: donotwant