Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 5 Average
09-12-2011, 05:55 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
How do you reconcile your Calvinist beliefs with the sacrifice of Jesus? If salvation was always predestined, why send Jesus to die on the cross?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" Peter 3:15
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2011, 06:04 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 06:07 PM by kingschosen.)
(09-12-2011 04:00 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Assuming that my mother is in heaven and I will (obviously) go to hell... How can she be happy there?

I haven't quite decided whether or not the elect (in heaven) are going to be aware of those in hell (because of the story of Lazarus); however I do know that there will be no pain or suffering in heaven (Rev 21:4). Whether this means that we will know those in hell but not remember how we knew them, or we will simply not have any sympathy towards them, I don't quite know.
(09-12-2011 04:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's really hard for people not to stare. Cool

Since you agree that the religious feeling may be no more than that, have you considered medical or psychiatric care, or pharmacological treatment?

Seriously. This kind of sudden change could be symptomatic of a medical problem, e.g. brain aneurism, tumor.

I have been to two neurologist, and after years of tests and a gaggle of exams, I have zero brain damage, hemorrhages, or tumors. I was also, at one time, place on Lexapro, but quit taking it because it made me feel worse. I am not currently on any drugs and function normally.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
09-12-2011, 06:12 PM
(09-12-2011 06:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I haven't quite decided whether or not the elect (in heaven) are going to be aware of those in hell (because of the story of Lazarus); however I do know that there will be no pain or suffering in heaven (Rev 21:4). Whether this means that we will know those in hell but not remember how we knew them, or we will simply not have any sympathy towards them, I don't quite know.

A lot of Bible types identify the Lazarus story as a parable, given that's common modus operandi for how Jesus communicated. I subscribe to that theory, and thus think the details in the story are simply there as allegory and shouldn't be exegeted to hold much meaning beyond the obvious point of Jesus' message, which was, it's pretty damned difficult for the 1% to get into heaven, so they'll have to Occupy Hell.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
09-12-2011, 06:13 PM
(09-12-2011 04:31 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Smile

Since you said ask anything, and since you claim to be impervious to offense.... Hee hee...

Disclaimer, you must be 18+ to view this post... Hee hee...

How is your sex life as a theist who believes in the bible, heaven and god? Do you have boring sex or is it fun sex? Do you take joy in it or treat it as a mandatory task? Do you ever think of your relatives watching you do it while they are up in heaven? Smiling down for a reason? Or God watching you do it like a sicko?

I ask because for like a week when I was a kid I wouldn't masturbate because I couldn't stop thinking about how if there is a heaven everyone is looking at me. Then I just kinda went "Fuck it, I'll bet they did it too and if I even manage to get to heaven we'll all have a creepy little laugh over it..." Then I resumed the good times.

My wife and I have wonderful sex. We have any and all sex, and we still have sex like we did our first year of marriage. We take joy in our sex. There is nothing dirty about sex, and in fact, it is as natural as eating or drinking. God ordained our sex life and gave us the desire to get freaky with each other Smile

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
09-12-2011, 06:15 PM
(09-12-2011 06:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 04:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's really hard for people not to stare. Cool

Since you agree that the religious feeling may be no more than that, have you considered medical or psychiatric care, or pharmacological treatment?

Seriously. This kind of sudden change could be symptomatic of a medical problem, e.g. brain aneurism, tumor.

I have been to two neurologist, and after years of tests and a gaggle of exams, I have zero brain damage, hemorrhages, or tumors. I was also, at one time, place on Lexapro, but quit taking it because it made me feel worse. I am not currently on any drugs and function normally.

I am happy that there is no physical damage - may you have a healthy and long life.

However, I'm not sure I would agree with "function normally". Wink

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
09-12-2011, 06:16 PM
(09-12-2011 05:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What's the longest word in the Bible?

it's not antidisestablishmentarianism? Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
09-12-2011, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 06:17 PM by Erxomai.)
(09-12-2011 06:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 04:31 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Smile

Since you said ask anything, and since you claim to be impervious to offense.... Hee hee...

Disclaimer, you must be 18+ to view this post... Hee hee...

How is your sex life as a theist who believes in the bible, heaven and god? Do you have boring sex or is it fun sex? Do you take joy in it or treat it as a mandatory task? Do you ever think of your relatives watching you do it while they are up in heaven? Smiling down for a reason? Or God watching you do it like a sicko?

I ask because for like a week when I was a kid I wouldn't masturbate because I couldn't stop thinking about how if there is a heaven everyone is looking at me. Then I just kinda went "Fuck it, I'll bet they did it too and if I even manage to get to heaven we'll all have a creepy little laugh over it..." Then I resumed the good times.

My wife and I have wonderful sex. We have any and all sex, and we still have sex like we did our first year of marriage. We take joy in our sex. There is nothing dirty about sex, and in fact, it is as natural as eating or drinking. God ordained our sex life and gave us the desire to get freaky with each other Smile

I wanted to answer this one for you:

Lucradis, Dude...did you or did you not see that picture of his wife. How's his sex life? Duh!
(09-12-2011 06:16 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 05:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What's the longest word in the Bible?

it's not antidisestablishmentarianism? Big Grin

No. If I recall, it's even longer. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
09-12-2011, 06:18 PM
(09-12-2011 04:32 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, King.

Bravo for starting this thread.

I have three questions.

1 - Are you a creationist? If so, how do you reconcile your faith in creationism with scientific data that opposes it?

2 - The Good News of Jesus Christ is pretty positive, but there are many passages in the Bible that are pretty over the top, shall we say, violent. It seems to be a pretty large contradiction. What do you say to people that say the violence in the Bible means that Christianity is doomed to be a religion of blood and violence? Or to state it another way, how do you convince someone that Christianity is a positive religion given these sorts of passages?

3 - My belief is that the hierarchical organisations that run most Christian sects can be as damaging as multi-national corporations in terms of the toll they exact on the world. Some people would call this corrupt behaviour, but I believe that this notion of corruption is not a problem of the system, but a feature. Thus nothing is corrupted because it is functioning normally. All of this is to say that massive power maximising hierarchies are bad m'kay. Do you believe that it is possible to extrude the positive aspects of Christianity from the monolith of the organisation or do you think that the two are inextricable?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

1) No. Theistic evolutionist... mostly. I believe God has an active role in evolution and wasn't just the clock maker.

2) The God of the OT and NT are the same; however, He does act differently. The OT rules were for the Jews. They were for symbolism, purity laws, and for obedience. The law serves as a blueprint for the teachings of Christ.

3) I think, as a whole, organized religion has become hopelessly corrupted.

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
09-12-2011, 06:20 PM
(09-12-2011 05:55 PM)Spectre Wrote:  How do you reconcile your Calvinist beliefs with the sacrifice of Jesus? If salvation was always predestined, why send Jesus to die on the cross?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Spectre, I don't believe I've had the pleasure of your acquaintance yet.

As we anxiously await KC's response, are you a disciple of Arminius?

09-12-2011, 06:21 PM
(09-12-2011 05:41 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Knew the Chosen One was going to prove useful here.

How do you find the promise of a postmortem preservation of identity even conceivable, let alone tenable? Any reasonable, non-magical mechanism of action will suffice.

I don't necessarily believe that we will be identifiable as our earthly serves after life. We will be in a glorified body, but what that looks like, I don't know. Also, we're not going to be floating around, chit-chatting with others. We will be praising God for eternity.