Ask a Theist!

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 5 Average
09-12-2011, 06:22 PM
RE: Ask a Theist!
What is the sound of one hand clapping.
(Assume it's a leper who didn't get a chance to meet Jesus).

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2011, 06:26 PM
(09-12-2011 05:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What's the longest word in the Bible?

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question6978.html

[Image: vjp09.gif]
09-12-2011, 06:27 PM
(09-12-2011 06:26 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 05:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What's the longest word in the Bible?

http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question6978.html

Thanks, I knew it was a name that started with an M followed by a jumbled mess of letters. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
09-12-2011, 06:30 PM
(09-12-2011 05:55 PM)Spectre Wrote:  How do you reconcile your Calvinist beliefs with the sacrifice of Jesus? If salvation was always predestined, why send Jesus to die on the cross?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

I talk about my Calvinist view a lot in the thread "Calvin's Bizarre Doctrine". Look there for more details.

The short answer is that we are his inheritance and Jesus' purpose from before creation.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
09-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Since we've discussed before you don't believe the literal Genesis account for Creation or the Flood, where do your beliefs stand on the rest of the Old Testament stories a lot of us heard in Sunday School? (Sabbath School for me, actually).
Do you see Elijah and Elisha's miracles (Raising a boy from the dead. Making a jar of oil never run dry. Calling fire down from heaven. Elijah being taken up into heaven via Angel's Taxi Service), in the books of Kings to be allegorical or actual events?

[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
09-12-2011, 06:31 PM
(09-12-2011 06:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  2) The God of the OT and NT are the same; however, He does act differently. The OT rules were for the Jews. They were for symbolism, purity laws, and for obedience. The law serves as a blueprint for the teachings of Christ.

I like this thread...

How can the god of the OT and NT act differently when it's said that he is the same yesterday, today, and forever?

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
[+] 4 users Like zaika's post
09-12-2011, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 06:52 PM by Spectre.)
(09-12-2011 06:31 PM)zaika Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 06:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  2) The God of the OT and NT are the same; however, He does act differently. The OT rules were for the Jews. They were for symbolism, purity laws, and for obedience. The law serves as a blueprint for the teachings of Christ.

I like this thread...

How can the god of the OT and NT act differently when it's said that he is the same yesterday, today, and forever?
This is actually a very good question. I have to wonder how an apologist that takes this position would respond?

(09-12-2011 06:30 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(09-12-2011 05:55 PM)Spectre Wrote:  How do you reconcile your Calvinist beliefs with the sacrifice of Jesus? If salvation was always predestined, why send Jesus to die on the cross?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

I talk about my Calvinist view a lot in the thread "Calvin's Bizarre Doctrine". Look there for more details.

The short answer is that we are his inheritance and Jesus' purpose from before creation.
Which section is that under? Sorry it's Friday and I feel lazy.

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" Peter 3:15
09-12-2011, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 07:03 PM by Erxomai.)
(09-12-2011 06:31 PM)zaika Wrote:  I like this thread...

One way to go is to build a whole new theological understanding of the Bible to explain God's differences. In the late 1800's Dispensationalism began to rear it's ugly head and explained that God acted differently in different ages throughout history. I think there were 7 Dispensations when God would work differently the the folks of that age. Probably nothing like this statement of St. Paul's, but maybe something like it? "When I am in Rome, I do as the Romans do." So it's the same God all the way through, but God is acting differently to accomplish his tutoring of his people during that age.
They all had fancy names too, but I never got too deeply into that theology. There was a Creation Age, an OT AGE, Church Age, and End-times...I know that's not 7, but just some examples.

In fact, why re-invent the world when Wikipedia knows everything about everything:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispensationalism
Calvin's Bizarre Doctrine

Enter at your own risk.

Don't look into the Eye.

You've been warned.

09-12-2011, 07:05 PM
1) If he so desired, would God be capable of creating a rock so heavy that he himself could not lift it?

2) What was the point of Jesus? From what I understand he died so our sins could be forgiven but what is the link there, what does Jesus' death have to with forgiveness? Why couldn't God just forgive people? (Kinda like how we have a forgiven thread in the casual coffeehouse and people don't have to sacrifice someone every-time they post.)

3) Why did God rectify the issue of no-one being able to get into heaven during mankind's existence, surely he foresaw the problem?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 4 users Like Hughsie's post
09-12-2011, 07:11 PM
(09-12-2011 06:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Also, we're not going to be floating around, chit-chatting with others. We will be praising God for eternity.

That will make me pray to not be among the elect. Exclamation

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Another convo with a theist =jesse= 6 140 25-06-2014 09:50 AM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Using theist arguments to 'prove' God does not exist Mathilda 30 578 01-06-2014 03:29 PM
Last Post: Metazoa Zeke
  Dating a Theist, easier for a guy or a girl? Raptor Jesus 31 390 28-05-2014 10:23 AM
Last Post: Impulse
  What kind of atheist converts to a theist? RedJamaX 88 2,395 13-05-2014 09:14 AM
Last Post: Bible Belt Brawler
  I Need Relationship Advice - An Atheist together with a Theist Aristotle 15 356 31-03-2014 07:49 AM
Last Post: mknight
  Challenge any theist to a debate donotwant 30 529 14-03-2014 09:30 AM
Last Post: kingschosen
  Just converted a theist donotwant 6 193 09-03-2014 09:32 PM
Last Post: donotwant