Ask a Two Cult Survivor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Ask a Two Cult Survivor
I wanted to change the name of the previous thread I started, but apparently you can't do that after too much time passes. I think the previous thread title was unclear about what I was trying to do, so I figured, what the heck, start a new thread with a new title that was more clear.

Looking forward to more questions and discussions.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2014, 12:28 PM
RE: Ask a Two Cult Survivor
Which was the weirder of the two cults? Why?
07-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Define "weird."

Jehovah's Witnesses were more legal and less wacky. You may question their interpretation of scripture, but at least you can see where they're interpreting scripture. The Way's teachings sometimes seemed like, "where'd THAT one come from?" For example, combining the narratives in the four gospels, The Way teaches that Jesus' was the center cross of FIVE crosses on the hill, not three, and that Judas didn't kill himself in the gospel of Matthew. You have to do a lot of Biblical hunting and pecking to come up with why.

The Way was also pro-choice. Did not believe abortion was murder.

And they believed Joseph and Mary had sex plenty of times before Jesus was born (but not before Jesus was conceived).

But the real difference was in practice: it was not at all unusual to find Way teachers who cursed like sailors, and premarital sex (and, I later learned, extramarital sex) was fairly common. One guy got booted from the ministry for daring to write a paper explaining in great detail why adultery was Biblically wrong!

So I'll have to give the "weirdest" title to The Way.

Then again, no child in The Way ever died because his parents refused to let him have a blood transfusion.

I guess I'm defining "weird" in a whimsical way.
07-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Based on your experience with JW and your knowledge of mainstream Christianity, why do "real" Christians consider JWs a "cult"?

I'll admit that I have little knowledge on what JWs actually believe.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
07-03-2014, 01:09 PM
There's a number of reasons. I'll list a few:

1. Mainstream Christianity labels as "cultish" any group that uses the terminology and characters of Christianity without adhering to the fundamental doctrines of the historic Christian faith. To be more blunt, if you claim to be a Christian but don't believe Jesus is God, mainstream Christianity is going to label you a cult. Jehovah's Witnesses believe Jesus was God's first created angel (very probably Michael the Archangel). Further, Jehovah's Witnesses reject the traditional Christian doctrine that one's soul goes to heaven or hell when one dies. According to Jehovah's Witnesses, there is no literal fiery hell (they're annihilationists). When one dies, one enters a state of soul sleep and will not awaken again until the second coming of Christ. At that time, 144,000 of the elect will reign in heaven with Christ; the rest of the faithful will live forever in paradise on earth; everyone else goes back to sleep. No Trinity, and no immediate life after death: Those two doctrines will get your sect labelled a cult every time.

2. The false prophecies associated with the beginning of the movement. Jehovah's Witness founder Charles Taze Russell predicted that Christ would return in 1914. When that year came and went, JW's began noting World War I as the beginning of the end. When the war ended, JW's claimed Jesus was seated as king of heaven in 1918. He would later mark the Watchtower Society as his true representative on earth. The dating system used by the JW's was based on a 607 BC dating of the Babylonian exile. We now know that the exile took place about 20 years earlier, invalidating the JW's claims. False prophecies and fantastic claims of exclusivity earn JW's the cult label.

There are other factors: the unusual amount of control exerted by the Watchtower Society over its followers, plus the extremity of shunning (aka, disfellowship to JW's, excommunication as others would call it).

Etc.
[+] 3 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
07-03-2014, 09:48 PM
(Might be offensive) Since you survived, what belief are you on right now ?

Want something? Then do something.
09-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Atheist
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
09-03-2014, 11:44 PM
(09-03-2014 10:15 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Atheist

Then what in atheism are you holding onto rather than the wonderful illusions in religion, like a glorious happy eternal life, saving people you care from demons and devine punishment and so on ?

Want something? Then do something.
10-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Reality.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
10-03-2014, 02:37 PM
(07-03-2014 12:12 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  I wanted to change the name of the previous thread I started, but apparently you can't do that after too much time passes. I think the previous thread title was unclear about what I was trying to do, so I figured, what the heck, start a new thread with a new title that was more clear.

Looking forward to more questions and discussions.

you fell for TWO cults? The first experience didnt light off any warning bells in your head? Facepalm

I kid i kid....mostly Confused

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)