Ask a Viking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Ask a Viking
Hello,

Following the suggestion of morondog I have started an ”Ask a Viking” thread. The overall idea is the same as in the ”Ask a Theist” and ”Ask a Muslim” threads.

A bit of information first.

Even though ”viking” is catchy ”Ask an Asatru” or ”Ask a Heathen” would probably be better titles.
I am Heathen and I worship the Norse gods (Thor, Odin, Freya and so on) but even though I know several viking reenactors, and have tried it myself, it is not interchangeable with – or necessarily connected to - my religion or the believes I hold.

Also, I am very busy atm and English is not my first language; so I might be a little slow to respond ( and in some periodes I might be comepletely off).
Since I haven´t done this before, and probably will face questions I can not answer, or will have great difficulty answering, this will also be a process of learning for meSmile

Lastly, my views and practices are not shared by all Asatru, being a pretty diverse group, and will probably not even be recognizable to some. So what I say may not apply to all Asatru.

Regards
~Gaest
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gaest's post
09-08-2012, 12:18 PM
RE: Ask a Viking
OK where does the name Asatru come from, for starters? A recent name, or is it old?

Woo I'm famous, I got mentioned in the OP Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
09-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Alright then, I'll start off with my usual set of questions.

1. Why do you believe in the Norse gods?
2. Do you have any evidence to support your belief?
3. What does an atheist who doesn't worship any of these gods miss out?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
09-08-2012, 12:22 PM
(09-08-2012 12:11 PM)Gaest Wrote:  Hello,

Following the suggestion of morondog I have started an ”Ask a Viking” thread. The overall idea is the same as in the ”Ask a Theist” and ”Ask a Muslim” threads.

I hope you realise that the Viking children are all in the UK/Ireland and the Western coast of Europe. All of the Vikings went raiding, plundering, raping and settling. All of the ones that weren't Viking enough to lift an axe... they got left behind, to look after the chickens... and to sire more non-Viking children.

S'true, y'know.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2012, 12:30 PM
(09-08-2012 12:22 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 12:11 PM)Gaest Wrote:  Hello,

I hope you realise that the Viking children are all in the UK/Ireland and the Western coast of Europe. All of the Vikings went raiding, plundering, raping and settling. All of the ones that weren't Viking enough to lift an axe... they got left behind, to look after the chickens... and to sire more non-Viking children.

S'true, y'know.

Although true that to "viking" (yes, it's a verb as well) was to go on raids most of them came back. You know, since wife and kids were waiting back home!

As a norwegian I have got to ask...how do you intend to get into valhalla? And how do you explain how vikings viewet the world? With the jotuns and everything.
09-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Why bother?Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
09-08-2012, 12:40 PM
(09-08-2012 12:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  OK where does the name Asatru come from, for starters? A recent name, or is it old?

Woo I'm famous, I got mentioned in the OP Big Grin

It´s recent. AFAIK it was thought up on Iceland by Beinteinsson in the 1960s or 70s... There is an older version, "Asetro", but that´s from the 19th century.
09-08-2012, 12:50 PM
What has Thor done for you lately? Are you better off now than 4 years ago when you began worshiping Odin?

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
09-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Ask a Viking
How well do you think the movie Thor represents the Norse gods?

And welcome! I'm excited to hear more about your views. Until now I had no idea folks like yourself existed in modern times.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
09-08-2012, 12:56 PM
(09-08-2012 12:18 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Alright then, I'll start off with my usual set of questions.

1. Why do you believe in the Norse gods?
2. Do you have any evidence to support your belief?
3. What does an atheist who doesn't worship any of these gods miss out?

It started out with a general fascination of Northern mythology. The only people I could find who where interested in discussing it where Asatru, they invited me to a couple of ceremonies and it sort of became a routine.
In time I have come to be a bit superstitious about it, and now I generally believe it is worth it to sacrifice to the gods. Besides I like many of the traditions and values which follows.

I have no scientific evidence for what I do.

From my perspective they miss out on the prosperity I get in return for my sacrifice... But it´s not like they are punished or can´t survive and live a fruitful life by their own means.
Ohh... Actually you do miss out on some parties.
[+] 1 user Likes Gaest's post