Ask a Viking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2012, 01:06 PM
RE: Ask a Viking
(09-08-2012 12:30 PM)sillinde Wrote:  As a norwegian I have got to ask...how do you intend to get into valhalla? And how do you explain how vikings viewet the world? With the jotuns and everything.

I don´t really plan to go to valhalla.

That last one is a pretty complex question and I can´t give you an exhaustive answer (since we do not have one).
Our best bet ATM is that they divided it into circles of interest (so to speak): An inner circle where family and friends where, a circle around that where the wider community and the known world would be, and a final circle where strangers, trolls and unknown/dangerous territory would be. The gods would be at the center of the community - the first or second circle.

In a geographical sense it is sort of the same concept, with a circle in the middle where humans and gods where, and an outside circle reserved for giants, monsters and the unknown in general.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2012, 01:07 PM
(09-08-2012 12:11 PM)Gaest Wrote:  ... I am very busy atm and English is not my first language; so I might be a little slow to respond ( and in some periodes I might be comepletely off).
Since I haven´t done this before, and probably will face questions I can not answer, or will have great difficulty answering,

So....
a) You might not be here
b) You might not understand
c) You might not respond
d) You might not know
e) You might be wrong

Yup.... you're a theist!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
09-08-2012, 01:15 PM
(09-08-2012 12:50 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  What has Thor done for you lately? Are you better off now than 4 years ago when you began worshiping Odin?

Lately he probably has not done anything for me - since I have not sacrificed to him lately. I have made a sacrifice to Freja though, because I have moved to another city, and so far it has worked out well.

You could say that, but it would not really be a good comparison since I´m in that phase of my life where a lot of things change over just a few years. Now I make more money, have an apartment, study at the university and so on.

(09-08-2012 12:53 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  How well do you think the movie Thor represents the Norse gods?

And welcome! I'm excited to hear more about your views. Until now I had no idea folks like yourself existed in modern times.

It does not represent the mythology well at all - but it´s a cool action movie!
However, the basic plot in it is actually a lot like the average Thor myth... Don´t think it is intended though.

Thanks for the welcome Smile
[+] 2 users Like Gaest's post
09-08-2012, 01:17 PM
(09-08-2012 01:07 PM)DLJ Wrote:  So....
a) You might not be here
b) You might not understand
c) You might not respond
d) You might not know
e) You might be wrong

Yup.... you're a theist!

That´s what we do Smartass
[+] 2 users Like Gaest's post
09-08-2012, 03:09 PM
(09-08-2012 12:53 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  How well do you think the movie Thor represents the Norse gods?

And welcome! I'm excited to hear more about your views. Until now I had no idea folks like yourself existed in modern times.

From what I've read about Thor, very poorly. Norse gods were alot more human in their conduct and Thor was neither elequent (spelling?) nor polite. He was brash and direct and more then once made an ass of himself.
[+] 3 users Like sillinde's post
09-08-2012, 03:24 PM
But he was a real hero God.

He drank the ocean (well not the whole thing, but enough to make the tides) at a giant's drinking contest.

Also spent a lot of time slaying ice giants and so on...

Norse mythology is good stuff.

AFAIK Thor was more or less an exaggerated personification of the good warrior traits valued by Norse people. So he had a touchy sense of honour, was immensely strong, was very good at manly things like fighting and drinking and feats of strength... Not sure but ready to bet he was good with the ladies. Wasn't he married to Freyja at one stage? I seem to recall some legend about Loki nicking her hair or something and Thor having to get it back.

I think Loki is by far the most interesting guy out of Norse mythology. The trickster God is quite a unique idea, though I think I remember that some Native American legends also have a trickster spirit.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
09-08-2012, 03:51 PM
If I was a god, I'd be a trickster god too.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
09-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Okay, I got a question. What the fuck were the Berserkers on? I mean PCP and bath salts hadn't been invented yet.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Fleinsopp, or in english Liberty Cap. A mushroom with some pretty heavy side effects.
09-08-2012, 11:16 PM
(09-08-2012 03:09 PM)sillinde Wrote:  

From what I've read about Thor, very poorly. Norse gods were alot more human in their conduct and Thor was neither elequent (spelling?) nor polite. He was brash and direct and more then once made an ass of himself.

Outwitting opponents is not really a Thor thing it seems. He is as you put it more "direct" - his main attributes is strength, thunder and a hammer after all.
In Alvíssmál he does outsmart a pretty clever dwarf, but the poem is late and, AFAWK, not a pre-Christian myth.

What do you refer to when you say he is making an ass of himself?

(09-08-2012 03:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  But he was a real hero God.

He drank the ocean (well not the whole thing, but enough to make the tides) at a giant's drinking contest.

Also spent a lot of time slaying ice giants and so on...

Norse mythology is good stuff.

AFAIK Thor was more or less an exaggerated personification of the good warrior traits valued by Norse people. So he had a touchy sense of honour, was immensely strong, was very good at manly things like fighting and drinking and feats of strength... Not sure but ready to bet he was good with the ladies. Wasn't he married to Freyja at one stage? I seem to recall some legend about Loki nicking her hair or something and Thor having to get it back.

I think Loki is by far the most interesting guy out of Norse mythology. The trickster God is quite a unique idea, though I think I remember that some Native American legends also have a trickster spirit.

Your are generally right about Thor, except for the lady thing which is more Odins department. He is married to Sif, and Thor forced Loki to go get her new hair after he cut it off.

There is a pattern in ON myths where Loki fucks up, not necessarily deliberate, and is forced to fix it.

[Image: 320714_10150284544642172_544187171_82255...5436_n.jpg]

Though he has attributes of a trickster and transgression figure, it alone does not definitively explains his roles in the myths, he also have elements of a culture god and of a fire god... You´ll have a hard time finding two Asatru or two scholars which completely agrees on Lokis nature and role in the myths.