Ask a Viking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2012, 11:41 PM
RE: Ask a Viking
(09-08-2012 05:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Okay, I got a question. What the fuck were the Berserkers on? I mean PCP and bath salts hadn't been invented yet.

Good question...
Berserkers are a pretty weird phenomenon:
1) They are mentioned in Thorbjørn Hornklofis Haraldskvædi from the late 9th century - the actual manuscript, Fagrskinna, is from the 13th century though, so it is not a sure thing.
Outside of that they might have been mentioned in a, now lost, version of Skjoldungasaga. That´s is pretty much the pre-Christian mentions of them that we have.

2) To my knowledge scholars don´t agree what "Berserk" actually means - Liberman summed it up in his paper "Berserkir: A Double Legend" from 2004.

3) The actual description of "Berserkergang" is late and is found in Heimskringla - conveniently not in the chapters which actually builds on the much earlier Ynglingatal. So one possibility is that the author of Heimskringla has made up a description of Odinns men, which sort of fit the theology of John Chrysostomus that puts heathens somewhere between man and beast.
This description then have become authoritative to the saga literature.

We don´t really know much about the Berserks of the Viking age, we do however know a lot about Berserks as a phenomenon in medieval, Christian literature... I don´t think it mentions anything about mushrooms though, I think that´s a later invention/theory.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Fleinsopp is what I've heard, but I can't point at a source at the top of my head, for all I know it might be one of those things everyone believes because everyone says it but no one's really checked. I'll see if I can find something when I get home. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker had some, but mostly theories.
10-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Ask a Viking
Gaest, I'm curious about your using the term "myths" to refer to the stories of the gods. It seems as if you know these are just ancient legends, and many of them conflicting with each other or lacking much real information, yet you still claim to believe in the Norse gods anyway. Can you explain how you reconcile myths with belief?

And also, is there an accepted canon of literature like the Christian bible that you refer to as believer?

Oh, and one more: how popular is this religion? As I mentioned earlier, I really had no idea anyone worshiped Norse gods.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
10-08-2012, 12:13 AM
A few years ago I did read about a family in norway who lived somewhat like vikings and worshipped the norse gods. Only ones in Norway I've ever heard about though. I haven't heard that norse mythology had any conflicting legends, could you point one out to me? Granted I'm no expert, merely interested in the past of my country and thus have picked up a few things here and there.

Heck we even had a comic book series, it was AWESOME Tongue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valhalla_(comics)
[+] 1 user Likes sillinde's post
10-08-2012, 12:26 AM
There's a pretty decent manga called Vinland Saga too...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-08-2012, 12:27 AM
(10-08-2012 12:13 AM)sillinde Wrote:  A few years ago I did read about a family in norway who lived somewhat like vikings and worshipped the norse gods. Only ones in Norway I've ever heard about though. I haven't heard that norse mythology had any conflicting legends, could you point one out to me? Granted I'm no expert, merely interested in the past of my country and thus have picked up a few things here and there.

Heck we even had a comic book series, it was AWESOME Tongue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valhalla_(comics)

I don't know what conflicting legends there might be. I just thought Gaest was saying people didn't agree on the details about gods like Thor and Loki. I might have misunderstood the point.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
10-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Oh...and another question...

How does one "worship" the Norse gods? Are their special rites and rituals you follow?

~Izel
10-08-2012, 12:42 AM
The only ways I know of, limited though my knowledge about this is, is sacrifice. Not humans, I've never heard of human sacrifices, but rather food, preferably animals. Not because of the whole kill an animal/sacrifice lifeforce deal but rather because it was regarded as better food then vegetables. I also know they had to festivals, called blot, one midwinter and one midsummer but I'm unsure about the details.
10-08-2012, 12:46 AM
I'd be willing to convert to Vikingism just for the funeral.

[Image: 328377-vlcsnap_00234_super.jpg] Thumbsup

Oh, and the raping and pillaging of course. Laughat

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
10-08-2012, 12:51 AM
You'd have to be an earl or some other bigshot, and die in combat. You don't die in combat burning the ship serves no purpose.

I bet christianity would gain more followers if they offered free raping and pillaging.
[+] 1 user Likes sillinde's post