Ask a Viking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2012, 03:49 PM
RE: Ask a Viking
To answer the questions and commentary in post 39 and 40:

Yes I do believe in the existence of the Norse gods, I hope my answer below will help to clear up things a bit.

(10-08-2012 09:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  But... I don't get it. You *believe* in these Gods? Despite that you seem to have detailed knowledge of the whole myth making process? You guys are pretty strange... possibly unique among religions in accepting archaeological findings...

I see how this is confusing. This will be a bit difficult to explain as well, since I have not really tried to word it before, but here goes:

The stories originates in a mythic past and has been passed on ever since, precisely when is not important; it just happened a phocking long time ago. As people worshiped their gods these stories became myths. Myths change over time, and in oral culture especially their form change a lot, however, a lot of core elements and themes are passed on unchanged.
This is where the religious part comes in; I believe these myths contain information about actual gods/divine beings and what they do. Are the myths themselves actual occurrences; maybe.

There is a pervading theme of journeys into - and interaction with - otherworlds in Norse culture and our body of sources, these are accessed - and interacted with - through liminal places like holy/charged lakes, bogs, forests, fire, the sea, temples and through sacrifices to the gods. In my opinion the gods exist in, and exercise influence over, this and otherworlds and are able to move between them.
With the risk of sounding a bit spacy you could say that there are different "dimensions", which overlaps.

What I am trying to say is that in terms of religion, I don´t really have the same strict view on time and place as say, Christianity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2012, 04:04 PM
(11-08-2012 03:49 PM)Gaest Wrote:  To answer the questions and commentary in post 39 and 40:

Yes I do believe in the existence of the Norse gods, I hope my answer below will help to clear up things a bit.

(10-08-2012 09:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  But... I don't get it. You *believe* in these Gods? Despite that you seem to have detailed knowledge of the whole myth making process? You guys are pretty strange... possibly unique among religions in accepting archaeological findings...

I see how this is confusing. This will be a bit difficult to explain as well, since I have not really tried to word it before, but here goes:

The stories originates in a mythic past and has been passed on ever since, precisely when is not important; it just happened a phocking long time ago. As people worshiped their gods these stories became myths. Myths change over time, and in oral culture especially their form change a lot, however, a lot of core elements and themes are passed on unchanged.
This is where the religious part comes in; I believe these myths contain information about actual gods/divine beings and what they do. Are the myths themselves actual occurrences; maybe.

There is a pervading theme of journeys into - and interaction with - otherworlds in Norse culture and our body of sources, these are accessed - and interacted with - through liminal places like holy/charged lakes, bogs, forests, fire, the sea, temples and through sacrifices to the gods. In my opinion the gods exist in, and exercise influence over, this and otherworlds and are able to move between them.
With the risk of sounding a bit spacy you could say that there are different "dimensions", which overlaps.

What I am trying to say is that in terms of religion, I don´t really have the same strict view on time and place as say, Christianity.

I understand where you're coming from and actually some Christians have a similar view about mythology, which is what made me wonder if you would answer in the same way. Of course, the Fundamentalists that get all the visibility take the Bible literally, but I'd say "mainstream" Christianity and Judaism understand that stories such as are found in the first 5 books of the Old Testament are to be taken mythologically in their fantastical details, yet still holding meaning and actual information about the Deity they worship.

Do you hold the belief that some cultures have held, that your gods only exercise control over certain portions of the world while other gods rule other lands? In other words, does Odin only rule over the Scandinavian lands while Zeus rules Greece, YHWH rules over Israel and the Celtic gods rule the UK or do the Norse gods control the whole world, even parts that have never heard of them?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
11-08-2012, 04:19 PM
There's an empty box of tissues atop my television. Have your god refill it and I'll send you $1000.00 US. I'll post the results here.
11-08-2012, 04:21 PM
(11-08-2012 04:19 PM)Jeff Wrote:  There's an empty box of tissues atop my television. Have your god refill it and I'll send you $1000.00 US. I'll post the results here.

Oh ye, of little faith. The gods have already given you enough money to buy all the tissues you want. You should be giving thanks instead of testing them.Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-08-2012, 04:29 PM
(11-08-2012 04:21 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Oh ye, of little faith. The gods have already given you enough money to buy all the tissues you want. You should be giving thanks instead of testing them.Drinking Beverage

ehhhh...I'll test 'em anyway
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
11-08-2012, 04:30 PM
double post, my bad
11-08-2012, 05:15 PM
(11-08-2012 04:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I understand where you're coming from and actually some Christians have a similar view about mythology, which is what made me wonder if you would answer in the same way. Of course, the Fundamentalists that get all the visibility take the Bible literally, but I'd say "mainstream" Christianity and Judaism understand that stories such as are found in the first 5 books of the Old Testament are to be taken mythologically in their fantastical details, yet still holding meaning and actual information about the Deity they worship.

Do you hold the belief that some cultures have held, that your gods only exercise control over certain portions of the world while other gods rule other lands? In other words, does Odin only rule over the Scandinavian lands while Zeus rules Greece, YHWH rules over Israel and the Celtic gods rule the UK or do the Norse gods control the whole world, even parts that have never heard of them?

Good point and good question.

I accept the existence of other gods than the Norse, but I just don´t consider them to have any consequence to my life and immediate surroundings. You could say that there are a lot of gods doing what they do around the world, but that they take a special interest in areas where cults are established to them, and sacrifices and worship are given. That´s my best bet anyway.
[+] 1 user Likes Gaest's post