Ask a Young Earth Creationist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2011, 11:40 AM
RE: Ask a Young Earth Creationist
This is great, I finally find the time and energy to go through the many pages of this thread, and on the 8th page I find out the party's over. But to me, Spectre seemed like the kind of a person that will get back to the topic, even if he won't do it here.

I would still like to point out this thing said by ikester, because it makes it seem like he might not really know that much about about evolution.
Quote:How about a life-form that can change it's environment to suit it's needs instead of it adapting to it surroundings? Would you not say that would defy evolution? And how would such an ability evolve?
'Instead of adapting to it's surroundings?' But it has. The plankton defends itself against the regular increase of UV, it has been able to evolve the ability because the threat is repeated. If there would be a sudden new threat, it propably (depending on the threat) couldn't defend itself against it, because it hasn't had the time to evolve a defense against it. In the same way, when modern humans started spreading all over the world, some animals didn't defend themselfs at all against the new threat, because they had'nt had the time to even recognize the threat.

Organisms changing their environments to suit their needs is nothing new, they're very common. Beavers are a great example.

Yea, let's grow plankton to stop global warming with clouds. Tongue

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm beginning to see why so few theists show up on our forum. Sad

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
04-05-2011, 01:48 PM
(03-05-2011 11:39 AM)Spectre Wrote:  
(03-05-2011 02:24 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  4.Do you respect Occam's Razor ?
4. No, it's just a philosophy.

Was anyone else really, really disappointed when Spectre said that?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
04-05-2011, 02:14 PM
(04-05-2011 04:03 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(04-05-2011 03:40 AM)riseinside Wrote:  I'm sure he will. Still saddens me that they would make that request though.
It could as well be that this type of reaction makes him think...

I sure hope so. I have no issue with those that believe as long as they are civil, which he was, and willing to at least listen to the opposing view. The last is something the church does not seem to want their followers to partake in.

Despite his differing views Spectre is somebody the majority of us would be willing to consider a friend. I sure hope he makes his way back.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Sadly, I see the same "logic" in every theist conversation I've ever had.

Theist: "Well then, can any of you atheists tell me what 2 + 2 equals?"

Atheist: "2 + 2 equals 4."

Theist: "Can you prove that 2 + 2 does NOT equal 5?"

Atheist: "Yes, you have 2 groups of 2 items which gives you 4 items."

Theist: "There you go again, skirting the issue. Stop bringing up 4 and answer my question."

Atheist: "I am answering your question, 2 combined with 2 is a total of 4."

Theist: "There you go again, taking your mathematic 'leap of faith,' clearly no one can answer my question!"

Atheist: "Well what do YOU think 2 + 2 equals?"

Theist: "I believe that 2 + 2 is a divine equation, and thus, outside the laws of mathematics. Therefore, 2 + 2 equals Potato as was written in the Book of Holy Math.

Atheist: "You sir, are a dumbass."

Theist: "Typical atheist, resorting to name calling since you are clearly incapable of proving me wrong."

[End scene]

[Commence facepalming and loss of faith in humanity]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
04-05-2011, 04:53 PM
@ashley
Well it is a philosophy in a "way" but it is a strong foundation of logical thinking. Dismissing it that easily makes me think of what people like spectre are thought in church.

@riseinside
You and me both.

@buddychrist ^
Actually , I think in the set of 4 , 2 + 2 = 0 . Just saying Tongue

05-05-2011, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 03:33 PM by cfhmagnet.)
(04-05-2011 01:48 PM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  
(03-05-2011 11:39 AM)Spectre Wrote:  
(03-05-2011 02:24 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  4.Do you respect Occam's Razor ?
4. No, it's just a philosophy.

Was anyone else really, really disappointed when Spectre said that?
Yes I was. I have been away for a few days and ended up late to the pool party. I wanted to discuss this with him as well as Noah's flood. Especially Occam's Razor though, especially in respect to that video he posted up in one of his first two posts, the one about RATE and the findings on radioactive isotopes. After watching the video it seems like they rather half-fudged their scientific investigations and allowed their pre-owned notions and biases win. They used clear ad hoc explanations to cover themselves, and end up with their faith attempting to answer a scientific question. This is where I find all creationist science disappointing. I am eager to see research on differing scientists POVs, but when they drop the ball and insert non-scientific answers to scientific questions, it makes me shake my head. I suppose one would have to be able to dismiss Occam's Razor in order to allow for the ad hoc explanations thrown on by the RATE committee.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
06-05-2011, 03:04 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2011 03:11 AM by No J..)
Christians can demonstrate that they are Christians
In Mark 16:17-18, Jesus is very clear about what True Christians will be able to do to demonstrate their belief:
And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

Until I see christians doing everything listed above, including drinking deadly poison and not be hurt at all, in such a way that I know that they are not faking it, I will not believe that they truly believe the bible. So that means I will not take anything they say as fact without verifiable evidence and proof. So far the only one I have seen is picking up snakes with their hands, but then I have seen people of other religions and also atheists do the that too.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
[+] 1 user Likes No J.'s post
06-05-2011, 03:26 AM
@NoJ
I believe Stark may lend you a snake but I'm not sure he owns any poisonous ones.
Besides , you both live in Canada , right ? Tongue

06-05-2011, 06:42 AM
(06-05-2011 03:26 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  @NoJ
I believe Stark may lend you a snake but I'm not sure he owns any poisonous ones.
Besides , you both live in Canada , right ? Tongue

We live about 45 minutes away from each other in fact!
Alas, I don't keep hot snakes, so no help there.

So many cats, so few good recipes.