Ask a Young Earth Creationist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2011, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2011 11:12 PM by Glaucus.)
RE: Ask a Young Earth Creationist
Welcome back! I hope you had a good Thanksgiving (If you celebrate it)! Don't worry about the changes, a lot of us enjoy talking with believers so we tend to pile onto whomever strays onto this forum.

I am curious about what you mean by "I've had some view changes".

Welcome back though!

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2011, 12:53 AM
(24-11-2011 10:01 PM)Spectre Wrote:  Hey guys. I've been thinking about ya'll so I thought I'd come back to your forum for a bit. I won't forget how civil you were to me during my tenure here. I'm sorry that I've been unable to keep up with all the questions. Debating on a forum where you are the minority can be quite exhausting! I've had some view changes since my last visit here and I will be sharing them with you all in a few days, for whoever is curious.

Civil? That was before my time. Wink

We just had a Christian cause a twenty page pile-up. It seems that the opposite is not quite true, as I once thought to toss myself into a pit of ravenous creationists. Yet I think they're still doing a background check before allowing me to post to that particular forum... Big Grin

But yeah, exhaustion shall be your lot. Wink

Welcome back, intrepid Spectre.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
25-11-2011, 05:23 AM
Now, now, Cantor, please be polite to this one, this one is OK, he came here to understand more, that is something we all should admire. I can't wait to see what are these "new views" he speaks of.

Welcome back, we look happy to continue where we stopped. Not much Christians are left here, if any, so it is getting a bit dull with only these atheists around...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
25-11-2011, 08:37 AM
(25-11-2011 05:23 AM)Filox Wrote:  Now, now, Cantor, please be polite to this one, this one is OK, he came here to understand more, that is something we all should admire. I can't wait to see what are these "new views" he speaks of.

Welcome back, we look happy to continue where we stopped. Not much Christians are left here, if any, so it is getting a bit dull with only these atheists around...

Smile
Understand more of what? The Earth is not 6000 years old is pretty easy to understand, and can easily be proven to be false by every field of science. To state such nonsense would mean you are not only an astounding hypocrite of infinite proportions, but also a bat-shit crazy conspiracy theorist that believes that the ENTIRE scientific community all across the world is working for Satan.
25-11-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm no longer a young earth creationist. I started studying physics and then came to realize that the model I mentioned earlier, Dr. Humphreys model of the magnetic fields wasn't a real prediction because he used an arbitrary value of K. I was concerned so I tried contacting ICR about this, they gave me the contact information for Dr. Humphreys who would not return my call. There is no way I can support a movement that outright lies to people.

I also started taking a closer look at the Hebrew used in Genesis and realized that the creation story isn't as cut as dry as the english translations may make it out to be. I also realized that there were some major scriptural problems with the young earth creationist view, and then did more research on Bible scholarship, church history, and Biblical archaeology. The church for the most part did not originally believe that the six day creation was a literal six 24 hour days.

I talked to a well known catholic priest(even though I am protestant) and he gave me a bunch of material to read and then I understood that evolution and God are not at all in conflict and that young earth creationism is certainly not a valid view. Admittedly I wouldn't have been so open to researching it had I not have run into guys, so thank you all for being patient with me.

As far as my viewpoint is concerned. I'm sort of undecided between old earth creationism and theistic evolution. I guess the best way to classify me would be a "darwin skeptic."

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" Peter 3:15

http://www.answersforhope.org
[+] 7 users Like Spectre's post
25-11-2011, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2011 12:11 PM by Filox.)
[Image: Celebrate.gif]

[Image: Why-celebrate.jpg]

[Image: celebrate.jpg]

HA!

In your face mysticjbyrd!! "Understand what?" There, he DID understood, everything!

By the way, I think it was my advice to go and talk to the Catholic priest, glad you took it, they do understand the scripture differently that YEC. And not only that, but you took other advices in consideration, like looking at the original Hebrew scriptures, scientific "scriptures",

Now, I will go and drink my ass off this weekend in celebration that ONE Y.E.C. has accepted facts and science and was able to open his eyes for the first time. Praise be thy name! Oh Glory! Hallelujah!

You sir, have made my week. Thank you, you bring me back hope in humanity I have lost. Welcome to The Thinking family, who knows maybe one day The Thinking Atheist family?

Smile

Shallalalalalalalala, shalalalalalaUUUlala...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 5 users Like Filox's post
25-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Wow man. It takes a big person to examine their views and have the willingness to change them. It takes an even BIGGER person to come here and say, "hey, I may have been wrong." You've definitely earned my respect. And don't think that you need to become an atheist to get it fully. The fact that you are seeking truth and reason is awesome. That's enough for me to think quite highly of you.

My hat's off to you sir.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
25-11-2011, 12:44 PM
The power of the scientific method strikes again! If only more individuals were willing to look at the scientific information out there and evaluate their opinions from a purely objective perspective, evolution and deep time (13.7 billion year old universe plus 4.56 billion year old earth) would be accepted more widely instead of simply brushed off and replace with an idea with no real evidence behind it.

@Spectre
Glad to hear you came to Light side of the force (known as science).

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
25-11-2011, 01:32 PM
It is a good thing - it is an even better thing that you opened your own mind - creationism is not a good thing, for anybody.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
25-11-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm glad to hear that you've been able to successfully look at your own beliefs and question them, and I'm even more impressed that you were willing to give them up when you found them to be wrong. Glad we could help, it's always good to hear a success story of getting people to actually question their beliefs.

I'm curious though, how are Ron and everyone else at the fairy tale website reacting? Or have you not told them?

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
[+] 2 users Like Glaucus's post