Ask a Young Earth Creationist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2011, 01:54 AM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2011 02:03 AM by Filox.)
RE: Ask a Young Earth Creationist
So Spectre, do you see why we usually do not like YEC and why we are so glad that you came along? Most of the Creationists are, as you say yourself, arrogant and they claim to know what God is saying in the Bible. You see, most of them do not want to have a discussion, but they want to have an argument and make other people around them look stupid and angry, when you are angry, it's easier to look stupid. You on the other hand, have came here to have a discussion, not an argument, and that has lead you (and us) to new views and new facts and now it's all changing. I think that Creationism has pretty strong foundations as long as you do not try to look around, you can live happily in your nice Creationist house, but if you take one brick out and look through that hole, you will find that the statics of the house of Creationism are not that solid any more and if you do not put the brick back soon, it all comes falling down. Anyway, be careful, you do not want that house to crash on your head, it's better to look form outside while it crashes down.

Smile

P.S.

I still have a hangover, it was terrible this weekend, but thanx for giving me a reason to go out. Always have a reason when you go drinking, drinking without a reason is just wrong.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Hmmn... Spectre with a 10 rep. Seems the parable of the lost sheep ain't just a Christian concern. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Spectre, I used to be where you where (YEC), and then I changed my viewpoint to OEC, then to Progressive Creationism, then to a form of theistic evolution (the only difference is that I believe God is and was active in evolution and not just a clock maker).

I'm glad you denounced YEC because, scientifically speaking, it is completely silly. Also, I've reconciled Genesis with this belief (send me a PM if you have questions). I know this may seem like a form of apologetics, but it really isn't. When Genesis is viewed in the way it was originally written it makes complete sense.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
29-11-2011, 10:00 AM
(29-11-2011 08:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Spectre, I used to be where you where (YEC), and then I changed my viewpoint to OEC, then to Progressive Creationism, then to a form of theistic evolution (the only difference is that I believe God is and was active in evolution and not just a clock maker).

I'm glad you denounced YEC because, scientifically speaking, it is completely silly. Also, I've reconciled Genesis with this belief (send me a PM if you have questions). I know this may seem like a form of apologetics, but it really isn't. When Genesis is viewed in the way it was originally written it makes complete sense.

The only way that Genesis makes sense is as a creation myth like any other religion or culture's creation myth. Why would you give it a special status?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
29-11-2011, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2011 10:16 AM by Glaucus.)
(29-11-2011 08:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Also, I've reconciled Genesis with this belief (send me a PM if you have questions). I know this may seem like a form of apologetics, but it really isn't. When Genesis is viewed in the way it was originally written it makes complete sense.

How do you know that you've interpreted the Bible correctly? There is a huge list of Christian denominations, all claiming that they alone know the original meaning of the Bible and that all other churches are harlots. You seem to be making a special case out of your reconciliation of faith with science by saying that it isn't apologetics, but don't see the difference.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that you've taken steps away from a literal interpretation of the Bible, but I'm curious as to what caused you to stop pulling away? Because to me it seems like you already accepted the conclusion that Christianity is true, and that you don't want to abandon it, but you're willing to change your interpretation of scripture so that your faith doesn't clash with scientific findings.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
29-11-2011, 10:58 AM
(29-11-2011 10:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  Why would you give it a special status?

That'd be my question. Job is the beginning of that thread of scripture.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-11-2011, 11:52 AM
When I started to think about the implications of evolution and how it impacts the creation story, that's when I really started to doubt the Bible. If evolution is truth (and according to the evidence, it's clearly historical truth), then it blows the whole Adam and Eve and original sin story right out of the water. Then that means not all people are born into sin. It means that the story of Genesis is incongruent with reality. This means to me that the Bible is no longer the perfect Word of God that it used to be. Then I start allowing the other questions to gain ground. Ultimately evolution and archeological history and scholarly studies have lead me to disbelieve that the Bible is anything more than a human work pieced together over centuries, and tailored to the needs of the ruling powers of the time and place.
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
29-11-2011, 12:30 PM
(29-11-2011 10:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-11-2011 08:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Spectre, I used to be where you where (YEC), and then I changed my viewpoint to OEC, then to Progressive Creationism, then to a form of theistic evolution (the only difference is that I believe God is and was active in evolution and not just a clock maker).

The only way that Genesis makes sense is as a creation myth like any other religion or culture's creation myth. Why would you give it a special status?

Because I believe in the Christian Bible.

29-11-2011, 12:34 PM
(29-11-2011 12:30 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

So do you believe in the christian bible because your interpretation of it leads you to believe it, or does your interpretation of the bible exist to fit what you've already chosen to believe?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
29-11-2011, 12:38 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2011 12:41 PM by kingschosen.)
(29-11-2011 10:11 AM)Glaucus Wrote:  
(29-11-2011 08:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Also, I've reconciled Genesis with this belief (send me a PM if you have questions). I know this may seem like a form of apologetics, but it really isn't. When Genesis is viewed in the way it was originally written it makes complete sense.

How do you know that you've interpreted the Bible correctly? There is a huge list of Christian denominations, all claiming that they alone know the original meaning of the Bible and that all other churches are harlots. You seem to be making a special case out of your reconciliation of faith with science by saying that it isn't apologetics, but don't see the difference.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that you've taken steps away from a literal interpretation of the Bible, but I'm curious as to what caused you to stop pulling away? Because to me it seems like you already accepted the conclusion that Christianity is true, and that you don't want to abandon it, but you're willing to change your interpretation of scripture so that your faith doesn't clash with scientific findings.

I don't know if my interpretation is correct; however, it's what my studies and my faith have led me to believe. My interpretations may change over time. I just wanted to offer Spectre some reassurance that other Christians have faced this, and if he needs any help with reconciliation, I could tell him some of the things I have learned.

My interpretation of scripture has changed because of my studies of the texts. I used to believe that the NIV was a great translation until I discovered that it's a dynamic translation. As I studied more, I realized modern English translations are errant, and that the best way to study is from the original Greek and Hebrew. On top of that, you have to also understand the writing styles of that time.
(29-11-2011 12:34 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(29-11-2011 12:30 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

So do you believe in the christian bible because your interpretation of it leads you to believe it, or does your interpretation of the bible exist to fit what you've already chosen to believe?

I believe the Christian Bible because of my unasked, unprovoked conversion to Christianity from being agnostic. I believed in the Christian God before I started studying the Bible. God reveals things to when I study.