Ask a Young Earth Creationist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2011, 12:42 PM
RE: Ask a Young Earth Creationist
(29-11-2011 12:30 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(29-11-2011 10:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-11-2011 08:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Spectre, I used to be where you where (YEC), and then I changed my viewpoint to OEC, then to Progressive Creationism, then to a form of theistic evolution (the only difference is that I believe God is and was active in evolution and not just a clock maker).

I'm glad you denounced YEC because, scientifically speaking, it is completely silly. Also, I've reconciled Genesis with this belief (send me a PM if you have questions). I know this may seem like a form of apologetics, but it really isn't. When Genesis is viewed in the way it was originally written it makes complete sense.

The only way that Genesis makes sense is as a creation myth like any other religion or culture's creation myth. Why would you give it a special status?

Because I believe in the Christian Bible.

You do realize that had you been raised in a predominantly Muslim country, you'd believe the Qu'ran instead. Belief without evidence is the same everywhere.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Because you believe in the bible isn't the reason it's the case. the reason would be something descriptive ala, I like cookies because they appeal to me visually. The round shape is relaxing and the crunch when you bite into one is satisfying.
Sorry I'm really not trying to be a dick, but I'm actually really curious as to what it is about the bible that catches your eye and speaks truth to you. Like a specific thing not a feeling. I only wonder because I've read both the new and old testament and used I attend bible study and Sunday school but nothing within any of that did anything for me. Only gave me more questions that no one seemed to like hearing much.
I also have found that Christians or Muslims actually, don't seem to either like answering this question or don't know the answer to this question (the question of what makes your holy book true to you)
I'm also curious if you don't mind as to whether you've read much about the Quran and what you might think of it.

To make sure everyone knows I am only really talking to kings. Also to reiterate I am being genuine and don't mean to offend anybody or inspire wrath. Also if you would like to avoid anybodies criticisms of your answer to me feel free to pm me instead.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
29-11-2011, 12:51 PM
(29-11-2011 12:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-11-2011 08:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Spectre, I used to be where you where (YEC), and then I changed my viewpoint to OEC, then to Progressive Creationism, then to a form of theistic evolution (the only difference is that I believe God is and was active in evolution and not just a clock maker).

I'm glad you denounced YEC because, scientifically speaking, it is completely silly. Also, I've reconciled Genesis with this belief (send me a PM if you have questions). I know this may seem like a form of apologetics, but it really isn't. When Genesis is viewed in the way it was originally written it makes complete sense.

The only way that Genesis makes sense is as a creation myth like any other religion or culture's creation myth. Why would you give it a special status?

You do realize that had you been raised in a predominantly Muslim country, you'd believe the Qu'ran instead. Belief without evidence is the same everywhere.

This may seem like nit-pickery, but please don't talk to me in absolutes.

Yes, there is a chance that if I was raised in a Muslim country then I would believe in in the Qu'ran; however, that's not necessarily true. I could very much believe the Bible in a Muslim-y world. In fact, because of my personal faith, I feel that I would.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
29-11-2011, 12:57 PM
(29-11-2011 12:51 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Yes, there is a chance that if I was raised in a Muslim country then I would believe in in the Qu'ran; however, that's not necessarily true. I could very much believe the Bible in a Muslim-y world. In fact, because of my personal faith, I feel that I would.

Fine, you'd likely believe in the Qu'ran. It is unlikely that you would even get to see a Bible.

My point really is that those prone to belief in revelatory texts will usually imprint on the local one.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
29-11-2011, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2011 01:04 PM by kingschosen.)
(29-11-2011 12:45 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Because you believe in the bible isn't the reason it's the case. the reason would be something descriptive ala, I like cookies because they appeal to me visually. The round shape is relaxing and the crunch when you bite into one is satisfying.
Sorry I'm really not trying to be a dick, but I'm actually really curious as to what it is about the bible that catches your eye and speaks truth to you. Like a specific thing not a feeling. I only wonder because I've read both the new and old testament and used I attend bible study and Sunday school but nothing within any of that did anything for me. Only gave me more questions that no one seemed to like hearing much.
I also have found that Christians or Muslims actually, don't seem to either like answering this question or don't know the answer to this question (the question of what makes your holy book true to you)
I'm also curious if you don't mind as to whether you've read much about the Quran and what you might think of it.

To make sure everyone knows I am only really talking to kings. Also to reiterate I am being genuine and don't mean to offend anybody or inspire wrath. Also if you would like to avoid anybodies criticisms of your answer to me feel free to pm me instead.

Nah, man. It's all good. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

1) Aforementioned, I literally had a Damascus Road conversion. This being so, I asked this "thing" what to do and where to go and how to find out the answers to my questions. At this point, I didn't even know that I was a "Christian". God led me to answers through the Bible, and through my restored relationship with my brother. As I began to study, questions began to get answered, and more questions where being asked as they were continually being answered. It was at this time that I learned that God chose me; I didn't choose God, thus my Calvinistic beliefs.

2) It's appealing because I truly believe God answers every question and personal problem I have through study. I also enjoy teaching what I've learned from God to other Christians or anyone willing to listen.

3) Yes, I've read most of it. I found similarities, but, ultimately, it felt empty and seemed like an old literature book (much like many of you feel about the bible).
(29-11-2011 12:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-11-2011 12:51 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(29-11-2011 10:00 AM)Chas Wrote:  The only way that Genesis makes sense is as a creation myth like any other religion or culture's creation myth. Why would you give it a special status?

Fine, you'd likely believe in the Qu'ran. It is unlikely that you would even get to see a Bible.

My point really is that those prone to belief in revelatory texts will usually imprint on the local one.

Smile thanks

But yeah, I get it. Usually your society directly influences the way you think and believe.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
29-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Hey thanks for answering kings.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
29-11-2011, 04:44 PM

(I'm sure you understand I ain't trying to "convince you of anythingWink )

This strikes a personal chord - I consider the only "official" religion I ever was in my life was two days of being Muslim - which ended in the realization that Phoenix is a Christian city.

I consider your proposition to be correct, but not completely correct; that rules do have exceptions. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
29-11-2011, 05:51 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2011 05:50 AM by Spectre.)

I personally take a historical-critical approach to The Bible. I simply interpret The Bible against the background of what we know of their historical setting. I'm not saying this is the correct way, I'm just saying that I do not know how to interpret The Bible better than anyone else does. In fact, many interpretations can be derived from any book.

I don't view YEC just as scientifically silly, I also think there are some major scriptural problems with the idea. Perhaps though, my biggest issue with YEC is how dishonest their leaders are.

By reconciling Genesis with "this belief" which belief are you speaking of?

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" Peter 3:15

http://www.answersforhope.org
[+] 1 user Likes Spectre's post
29-11-2011, 06:42 PM
(29-11-2011 05:51 PM)Spectre Wrote:  I also think there are some major scriptural problems with the idea.

You can take that to the bank, I'm saying. Big Grin

I started up being against creationism because according to the science, there is no thing more certainly wrong than creationism. Then I researched scripture... it was like YHWH in there going straight off on creationism. It was scripture that convinced me that creationism is "blasphemous idolatry;" not science, not rational thought...

I mean, yikes. Being a creationist is not sin - gotta get that out of the way - but espousing creationism is "a waste of entropy." Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
29-11-2011, 08:19 PM
(27-11-2011 12:41 PM)Spectre Wrote:  
(27-11-2011 03:21 AM)Atheist Wrote:  Let's see what this thread is. I think I recall it from a few months ago. Yep.
Hmm, wow.

*falls out of chair*
I hope that that you enjoyed it. Tongue

Yeah. I respect you for your intellectual honesty. It's a hard thing to do. Smile