Ask a mortician

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Shocked Ask a mortician
There's been a lot of these threads on here so I figured I'd play too.

I'm an embalmer in California and have been in the funeral industry for 7 years now. I know there's got to be some interesting questions. Cool

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2013, 11:59 PM
RE: Ask a mortician
Do dead people really poop themselves?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Have you ever had a situation where the family wants an open casket, but it just doesn't seem possible? What do you do?
30-11-2013, 12:02 AM
(29-11-2013 11:59 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Do dead people really poop themselves?

Ermmm... sometimes. Most people are ill for days or weeks or longer before they pass so there's not much in their system. A healthy person who dies is more likely to expel waste but it doesn't happen instantaneously as some think.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
30-11-2013, 12:05 AM
(29-11-2013 11:59 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Have you ever had a situation where the family wants an open casket, but it just doesn't seem possible? What do you do?

Yes, it has happened. It's rare but there are situations where there's just no way we can repair the body. The one that comes to mind is a man I handled last year who wrecked his car in a canal and spent 4 days in the water before being found. We just had to tell the family it wasn't going to happen. They were upset, as their religious tradition includes a bathing and dressing of the deceased, but there was nothing we could do in this case.

30-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Did the case of that guy waking up and asking for water really happen?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2013, 12:30 AM
(29-11-2013 11:57 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  There's been a lot of these threads on here so I figured I'd play too.

I'm an embalmer in California and have been in the funeral industry for 7 years now. I know there's got to be some interesting questions. Cool

Is there any particular advantage of embalming above just letting the corpse get thrown into the dirt and rot quicker?

... Aside from people's weird emotional deals. I don't get that side of peoples reactions to rotting corpses...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
30-11-2013, 12:30 AM
I've got a couple of gold crowns in my mouth. When I kick the bucket are they going to get stolen by the mortician?
30-11-2013, 12:34 AM
(30-11-2013 12:25 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Did the case of that guy waking up and asking for water really happen?

I'm not sure about this specific story, but there have been instances of people 'dying' and then coming back to life later. It's highly unlikely now, especially in developed countries. There are a lot of laws and procedures in place for actually pronouncing someone dead, and most areas of the US also have laws requiring embalming before a visitation. If someone was to make it to the funeral home without actually being dead, it would definitely be discovered during the embalming process. And even if it wasn't (which is next to impossible), the formaldehyde would definitely take care of that. I've worked with many funeral professionals who have been in the business for 50+ years and have never met anyone who has had any personal experiences with picking up someone who was wrongly pronounced dead.

30-11-2013, 12:36 AM
(30-11-2013 12:30 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I've got a couple of gold crowns in my mouth. When I kick the bucket are they going to get stolen by the mortician?

No. These are worth far, far less than you paid for them and are a PITA to remove. Not worth it. But any self-respecting person wouldn't do that without permission anyways.

[+] 1 user Likes Ohio Sky's post