30-11-2013, 12:38 AM
RE: Ask a mortician
What does embalming fluid smell like?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-11-2013, 12:41 AM
(30-11-2013 12:30 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 11:57 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  There's been a lot of these threads on here so I figured I'd play too.

I'm an embalmer in California and have been in the funeral industry for 7 years now. I know there's got to be some interesting questions. Cool

Is there any particular advantage of embalming above just letting the corpse get thrown into the dirt and rot quicker?

... Aside from people's weird emotional deals. I don't get that side of peoples reactions to rotting corpses...

The main purpose of embalming is for preservation of the remains. Obviously this is preferred if there is to be any visitation. Even without a formal visitation, it's preferable for many to know that the person is clean and prepared in a dignified manner.

Another advantage is for disinfection - we almost never know if we have a case that is infectious. For this reason, my company requires embalming if the family wants the person dressed. It's for our own protection, and that of anyone else who may view or handle the remains.

Beyond that, it's just more convenient for the funeral staff. If there is no embalming, the remains must be kept in refrigeration until right before service time, which always puts us in a time crunch.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Find all posts by this user
30-11-2013, 12:42 AM
How does one become a mortician?

Also have you ever worked on a famous person? Like Orville Redenbacher or Col Sanders?
30-11-2013, 12:44 AM
(30-11-2013 12:38 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  What does embalming fluid smell like?

Some lower-strength fluids are rather pleasant, actually. Some fluid companies scent their product like cherries and stuff. It's still somewhat chemical-smelling though. Stronger fluids are extremely offensive - it doesn't really have a distinct smell that I can describe as anything other than chemical. Like a strong cleaner, maybe Easy-off. It's very harsh on the respiratory system and makes your eyes water like crazy if you have to use a lot of it.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
30-11-2013, 12:48 AM
(30-11-2013 12:41 AM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  
(30-11-2013 12:30 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Is there any particular advantage of embalming above just letting the corpse get thrown into the dirt and rot quicker?

... Aside from people's weird emotional deals. I don't get that side of peoples reactions to rotting corpses...

The main purpose of embalming is for preservation of the remains. Obviously this is preferred if there is to be any visitation. Even without a formal visitation, it's preferable for many to know that the person is clean and prepared in a dignified manner.

Another advantage is for disinfection - we almost never know if we have a case that is infectious. For this reason, my company requires embalming if the family wants the person dressed. It's for our own protection, and that of anyone else who may view or handle the remains.

Beyond that, it's just more convenient for the funeral staff. If there is no embalming, the remains must be kept in refrigeration until right before service time, which always puts us in a time crunch.

Fuckit; just throw me in the dirt. No point in waiting.

People are so impractical with the corpses of their former loved ones...

Wait... is "Screw embalming or freezing; just dump me in the dirt" a valid option?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
30-11-2013, 12:48 AM
(30-11-2013 12:42 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  How does one become a mortician?

Also have you ever worked on a famous person? Like Orville Redenbacher or Col Sanders?

It depends on where you live. In the US, it varies by state. Some states require 4 years of mortuary college, and some require 2 years. All require an apprenticeship that must meet certain time minimums and numbers of cases embalmed. In California, it's 2 years of mortuary college and a 2 year apprenticeship during which to must embalm at least 50 cases. All states require a state board exam, and there is a national board exam as well, although it doesn't make you automatically eligible to work anywhere in the country.

I've handled a few local celebrities but no one that well known.

30-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Is it true most funeral homes won't let you just bury someone without embalming and a casket? I've always thought it would be nice to go right in the ground. Nothing to protect my body from becoming part of the earth.
30-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Have u ever gotten sick from handling a body?
30-11-2013, 12:56 AM
How thick is human skin?
30-11-2013, 12:58 AM
(30-11-2013 12:48 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Fuckit; just throw me in the dirt. No point in waiting.

People are so impractical with the corpses of their former loved ones...

Wait... is "Screw embalming or freezing; just dump me in the dirt" a valid option?

I buried my grandmother a couple weeks ago. She wasn't embalmed but the state required her to be refrigerated until she was buried(7 days later). Because she wasn't embalmed the casket had to be kept closed. We opened it anyways just for a minute to make sure it was her. No smell or nothing. She looked good.

Ohio, have you ever brought the wrong body to a funeral or made some other disastrous mix-up like that?