Ask a mortician

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2013, 10:15 AM
RE: Ask a mortician
(30-11-2013 05:53 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  How can I get legally pickled for my fans to enjoy?

As a note, I am already drunk.

Thennn... goal accomplished Tongue

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ohio Sky's post
30-11-2013, 10:24 AM
(30-11-2013 08:21 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Is it true that dead bodies are stored with no respect. Like caskets left half open, piled on top of one another, caskets getting misplaced etc. I saw a video about it on YouTube.

I can't speak for all funeral homes, but none I've ever seen treats any body with anything less than the utmost respect and dignity. In California, there are regulations as to how the remains can be stored as well.

Everyone is wrapped in a clean white sheet so they are covered. This stays until we dress the body, and we don't typically put them in the casket until the day before the funeral. The casket stays in the preperation area until it is moved to the visitation room. Even if the casket is left open, it is in an area where only a few professionals will be around it. I've never heard of a casket being misplaced, certainly not after there's someone in it. Costco has a nice habit of not delivering caskets, but it has nothing to do with the mortuary.

Caskets are almost all rounded on top so they wouldn't stack even if you trued.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
30-11-2013, 10:29 AM
(30-11-2013 08:27 AM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Are you an MD or what?

No. An embalmer's license in my state requires only 2 years of education. Some require 4. Our training is way different than anyone in the medical field. We need anatomy and physiology, but behind that most of the education requirements have to do with the actual embalming process and the chemicals used, the regulations and laws of the funeral industry, and grief counseling.

[+] 5 users Like Ohio Sky's post
30-11-2013, 10:38 AM
(30-11-2013 08:40 AM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  Is there anywhere you know of that sky burials are legal? I think it's still done on some native reservations, but, I would have no rights to be buried there. Like many, I really would like my body to go back to nature.

Nowhere in this country that I know of, though there are strange and surprising loopholes sometimes. Our options for disposition are contained in a very short drop-down menu and there's no wiggle room. Burial, cremation, donated to science. Cremation and then scattering might be one option for you. I sometimes wish we could go back to a more naturalistic burial method, but then I'd have to develop people skills or something to find another job.Dodgy

(30-11-2013 08:58 AM)Vosur Wrote:  How much does a mortician earn? Consider
It varies wildly between states and companies. Some start out making $30,000/ year, while embalmers in Alaska make ridiculous cash. Apparently you also have to be a pilot to be a mortician there. Management level directors and embalmers can make in the low 6*figure range.

30-11-2013, 10:15 PM
(30-11-2013 09:46 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Do your customers ever complain?

Seriously, who do you consider a customer? Dead person or relatives (or whoever pays for the service ) ?

Most people in the funeral business work with the living, while fewer of us also work with the dead. No one is exempt from dealing with families, and they complain. A lot, sometimes. There's very little room for error when the smallest mistake could ruin someone's funeral and cause extra unnecessary stress on the family. In California, 'undue emotional duress' mean lawsuit. Dodgy

I dont' really consider any of them customers... more like clients, as we have extended interactions with them and frequently serve the same families multiple times.

(30-11-2013 09:58 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Which religions prohibit embalming?

As far as I know, only Jews and Muslims are really strict about it, and even then if they're a little less traditional they may decide to do it. Christian Scientists don't embalm, but I've ran into one of those in all these years. We're not in the most diverse area though, there may be more I'm unaware of.

01-12-2013, 08:46 AM
(29-11-2013 11:57 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  There's been a lot of these threads on here so I figured I'd play too.

I'm an embalmer in California and have been in the funeral industry for 7 years now. I know there's got to be some interesting questions. Cool

Is there an industry OUTSIDE of the funeral industry that needs an embalmer? o.O
01-12-2013, 08:58 AM
(01-12-2013 08:46 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 11:57 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  There's been a lot of these threads on here so I figured I'd play too.

I'm an embalmer in California and have been in the funeral industry for 7 years now. I know there's got to be some interesting questions. Cool

Is there an industry OUTSIDE of the funeral industry that needs an embalmer? o.O

I think McDonald's employs them. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-12-2013, 10:42 AM
(30-11-2013 09:46 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  Do your customers ever complain?

Seriously, who do you consider a customer? Dead person or relatives (or whoever pays for the service ) ?

(01-12-2013 08:46 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  

Yes actually. Facilities that take cadavers as medical specimens and some medical examiners are embalmers. That's about it though. Tongue

01-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Do you get a fair number of people who donate their bodies to science ? Do you have to do anything special to them ?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-12-2013, 12:00 PM
(01-12-2013 11:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  Do you get a fair number of people who donate their bodies to science ? Do you have to do anything special to them ?

No. I've only seen one person who was able to successfully donate their body to science. I've had several who wanted to, but it's difficult to find facilities accepting cadavers as most of them can only have a few of them at any given time and each cadaver is so well preserved they can last ten years or more.

The one we had we just picked up and held in refrigeration until the facility was able to pick him up. They use much different and longer-lasting embalming techniques than we do, honestly. The chemical they use can't even be used in most embalming machines.