Ask a mortician

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2013, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 12:11 PM by Anjele.)
RE: Ask a mortician
What is the strangest request you have ever had. Like, how someone wanted their loved one to be dressed or posed or whatever?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 12:08 PM
(30-11-2013 01:17 AM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  
(30-11-2013 01:10 AM)aurora Wrote:  Do you have to be in a casket to be cremated?

You do not have to be in a casket to be cremated, at least nowhere in the states that I know of. You have to have some sort of combustible container, though, as human remains won't readily burn by themselves. Our standard for direct cremations is called an alternative container, and is basically a large cardboard box.

How much does that cardboard box typically cost? And can I bring my own?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
01-12-2013, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 12:22 PM by Ohio Sky.)
(01-12-2013 12:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What is the strangest request you have ever had. Like, how someone wanted their loved one to be dressed or posed or whatever?

I've had people ask if we could make someone smile during their visitation. I probably could, and it might be fun to try, but there's almost no chance it would look anything other than unnatural and creepy.

I put someone in their casket upside down once. I can only assume it was so the world could kiss his ass.

I put a bottle of KY lube in a casket with a young man once. Guess his gf thought he would need it...? Consider

I had a woman call the mortuary a few years ago and start asking some really strange questions. It started off with her telling me she lived back east and wanted to be returned to our area so she could be buried with her husband. Then she goes on to tell me about how her husband died in his 80's, when she was 21.

Then she asks me if we could bury her beloved dog with her. I told her if they have the pet cremated, we can place his ashes with her before burial.

Her next question: "What if the dog isn't dead yet?"

Shocking

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
[+] 2 users Like Ohio Sky's post
01-12-2013, 12:22 PM
(01-12-2013 12:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  How much does that cardboard box typically cost? And can I bring my own?

Depends on the mortuary - some include it in the cost of the cremation, and some charge up to $300. You could bring your own, provided it meets the standards in that state. It has to be made of some combustible material, and be somewhat leak-resistant. Any handmade wooden casket would work.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
01-12-2013, 12:25 PM
(01-12-2013 12:22 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  It has to be made of some combustible material, and be somewhat leak-resistant.

Blink ... Blink ... Huh ... Blink ... Hobo

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
01-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Do you find Jews harder to cut then other races?

This is because back in olden times, Manna came from heaven to feed the wayward Jews on their way to Israel. This Bread of God actually strengthened them, and because of its potency, still manifests itself through greater strength to this day!

Have you ever noticed this fact?
01-12-2013, 12:28 PM
(01-12-2013 12:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 12:22 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  It has to be made of some combustible material, and be somewhat leak-resistant.

Blink ... Blink ... Huh ... Blink ... Hobo

Most bodies are fine, but some are... well... leaky. Especially with how many new medications are in use that cause extreme edema.

Sorry, facts is facts. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes Ohio Sky's post
01-12-2013, 12:30 PM
(01-12-2013 12:26 PM)ALMASSAH Wrote:  Do you find Jews harder to cut then other races?

This is because back in olden times, Manna came from heaven to feed the wayward Jews on their way to Israel. This Bread of God actually strengthened them, and because of its potency, still manifests itself through greater strength to this day!

No. Rolleyes

01-12-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't know if this has been asked already, but how did you get into the field? If its already been asked just skip this question, lol
01-12-2013, 12:32 PM
(01-12-2013 12:30 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 12:26 PM)ALMASSAH Wrote:  Do you find Jews harder to cut then other races?

No. Rolleyes

It's true; the Judeo-Nazi-Capitalist-Communist Demons used it to their advantage in WWII!