Ask an ADHD Kid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2014, 05:58 PM
RE: Ask an ADHD Kid
(29-01-2014 05:57 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 05:49 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  What you're describing as ADHD (as far as getting easily frustrated) sounds like a general hatred of school or sitting still...which isn't uncommon. What exactly are the symptoms of ADHD? Again, I don't want to offend you! I've told you once, I'm completely ignorant on this subject and am trying to understand...so if at any point I get mean or just plain stupid about it, feel free to tell me to shutup

For one, it's fairly hard to offend me. So don't worry.
Secondly, all this information is found easily through a Google search.
To start you off, here is a fairly descriptive page.
I'm on my way to read that one...I did google it, and most of what I found said only a doctor can diagnose it, see a doctor, your doctor will know...wtf?

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2014, 06:00 PM
(29-01-2014 05:58 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 05:57 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  For one, it's fairly hard to offend me. So don't worry.
Secondly, all this information is found easily through a Google search.
To start you off, here is a fairly descriptive page.
I'm on my way to read that one...I did google it, and most of what I found said only a doctor can diagnose it, see a doctor, your doctor will know...wtf?

Read my link, it explains just about everything.

Atir aissom atir imon
29-01-2014, 06:03 PM
OK, so now...it's diagnosed if a child is hyperactive and inattentive...they don't know what causes it, but it could be genetic, or because of sugar and food additives. So if a kid has poor eating habits and hates school, big pharma is gonna profit by hooking these kids on pills? I understand the pills change your behavior...I used to take a friends adderall for fun...but I don't see how the medicine is NECESSARY. Yes, it will help you to calm down and focus, but there's gotta be other ways to focus your attention than to diagnose you as ADHD and get you addicted to drugs. I won't scream conspiracy, but when the guy that created the medicine to help with ADHD says it's a bullshit disease he used to make millions, it's hard for me not to agree with him. To me, it still sounds like ADHD is an excuse rather than a medical condition.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
[+] 1 user Likes kellyrm's post
29-01-2014, 06:08 PM
(29-01-2014 06:03 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  OK, so now...it's diagnosed if a child is hyperactive and inattentive...they don't know what causes it, but it could be genetic, or because of sugar and food additives. So if a kid has poor eating habits and hates school, big pharma is gonna profit by hooking these kids on pills? I understand the pills change your behavior...I used to take a friends adderall for fun...but I don't see how the medicine is NECESSARY. Yes, it will help you to calm down and focus, but there's gotta be other ways to focus your attention than to diagnose you as ADHD and get you addicted to drugs. I won't scream conspiracy, but when the guy that created the medicine to help with ADHD says it's a bullshit disease he used to make millions, it's hard for me not to agree with him. To me, it still sounds like ADHD is an excuse rather than a medical condition.

Wow now, calm down. Who said anything about addiction? I've been medicated for a few years during high school, then when I graduated I literally stopped taking them for 6 months no problem.
Also, did you read the snopes link I sent you about that?

(29-01-2014 05:45 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(29-01-2014 05:40 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  http://beforeitsnews.com/health/2013/05/...88648.html

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/adhd.asp

Atir aissom atir imon
29-01-2014, 06:09 PM
After looking at those symptoms more, I'd swear all 3 of my kids have ADHD....but I prefer to call it them being kids. It's up to the parents to teach them how to function properly~not put them on drugs to control their behavior! My kids would be angels if I put them in a catatonic state every morning..but I don't want robots. I know kids come with good days and bad days. Part of the diagnosis said if they experienced "the bratty kid" side effects more than "normal" kids...this just seems like bullshit to me. What standards are there for these so-called "normal" kids and who decides how hyper a kid can be before it's a condition and they need to be drugged??

[+] 1 user Likes kellyrm's post
29-01-2014, 06:10 PM
BTW, the reason I started taking them again is because I'm getting in trouble at work for inattentiveness and forgetfulness.
Also, for whatever reason, when I'm on the medication I'm more motivated to do stuff. That I don't know why.

Atir aissom atir imon
29-01-2014, 06:13 PM
(29-01-2014 06:09 PM)kellyrm Wrote:  After looking at those symptoms more, I'd swear all 3 of my kids have ADHD....but I prefer to call it them being kids. It's up to the parents to teach them how to function properly~not put them on drugs to control their behavior! My kids would be angels if I put them in a catatonic state every morning..but I don't want robots. I know kids come with good days and bad days. Part of the diagnosis said if they experienced "the bratty kid" side effects more than "normal" kids...this just seems like bullshit to me. What standards are there for these so-called "normal" kids and who decides how hyper a kid can be before it's a condition and they need to be drugged??

An MD with the education you don't have.
(being straight forward, not antagonizing)

Also, if your kid is a robot on those drugs then they're taking too much. You must find the balance that does NOT affect your eating/sleeping/behavior("normal" behavior).

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
29-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Here's a science article for you:
http://scienceblogs.com/retrospectacle/2...of-adhd-1/

Atir aissom atir imon
29-01-2014, 06:16 PM
(29-01-2014 06:10 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  BTW, the reason I started taking them again is because I'm getting in trouble at work for inattentiveness and forgetfulness.
Also, for whatever reason, when I'm on the medication I'm more motivated to do stuff. That I don't know why.

I know the pills help to be more attentive...I've taken them and could get my house cleaned in 20 minutes...they were awesome. But do kids actually NEED them just to function? Thanks for the snopes article, I hadn't read about it much, just vaguely remembered seeing something about it a while back. I'm still reading up about this...and have a discussion going on FB to see what those geniuses think. It's just weird to me that this was never an issue until we heard about it, now everybody is ADHD...just like this gluten free bullshit...for years and years we've eaten wheat, but now half the damn world is allergic to it. Something about all of it just doesn't sit right with me

29-01-2014, 06:20 PM
This topic is bigger than I have time for tonight...but this isn't the last I have to say about it! LOL nothing pisses me off worse than not being able to fully understand something~but regardless of how I think/feel about the subject, I am genuinely glad the medicine helps you to be "normal"