Ask an ADHD Kid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2014, 07:43 PM
RE: Ask an ADHD Kid
(30-01-2014 07:41 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Do u use anything like alarms or notes to keep yourself on task

If don't I'll never remember.
Calendar, note pad, alarms, keep all my texts, etc

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
30-01-2014, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2014 08:02 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-01-2014 07:30 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I was just kidding Laugh out load

Why? It's a valid concern with the antipsychotics.

(30-01-2014 07:37 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 07:35 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  How long can something hold your interest uninterrupted?

Depends on what I'm doing. Honestly, the only thing that can indefinitely hold my attention is video games... and they're losing it slowly but surely

You might just be a programmer. Used to be able to hold it for 14-16 hours straight. 30 years later can still hold it for 10-12. There's always something new to keep a programmer's attention. When I'm in the zone I got one task - make this shit work. I don't pay attention to anything which might distract from that. My colleagues call it the "screen distance" metric. If I'm 6" away from the screen they say nothing and come back later. 6-12" they politely ask "Is this a bad time?" Greater than a foot they politely ask "Is this a good time?" You might just be a programmer. Thumbsup

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
30-01-2014, 08:06 PM
(30-01-2014 07:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 07:30 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I was just kidding Laugh out load

Why? It's a valid concern with the antipsychotics.

(30-01-2014 07:37 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Depends on what I'm doing. Honestly, the only thing that can indefinitely hold my attention is video games... and they're losing it slowly but surely

You might just be a programmer. Used to be able to hold it for 14-16 hours straight. 30 years later can still hold it for 10-12. There's always something new to keep a programmer's attention. When I'm in the zone I got one task - make this shit work. I don't pay attention to anything which might distract from that. My colleagues call it the "screen distance" metric. If I'm 6" away from the screen they say nothing and come back later. 6-12" they politely ask "Is this a bad time?" Greater than a foot they politely ask "Is this a good time?" You might just be a programmer. Thumbsup

In all seriousness, I've never had to take antipsychotics.

No, I'm not "just a programmer." Without my medication I'm not able to focus on the task at hand.

Atir aissom atir imon
30-01-2014, 08:14 PM
(30-01-2014 08:06 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 07:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why? It's a valid concern with the antipsychotics.

In all seriousness, I've never had to take antipsychotics.

No, I'm not "just a programmer." Without my medication I'm not able to focus on the task at hand.

My bad. I'm mistaking my OCD for your ADHD. You might not be a programmer. It's good work if you can find it and make it work though.

30-01-2014, 08:16 PM
(30-01-2014 08:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 08:06 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  In all seriousness, I've never had to take antipsychotics.

My bad. I'm mistaking my OCD for your ADHD. You might not be a programmer. It's good work if you can find it and make it work though.

I have no doubt. I'm planning on becoming a game designer. I'm fairly fluent in C++, Java, really anything to do with websites and I'm learning XNA

Atir aissom atir imon
31-01-2014, 06:36 PM
(30-01-2014 08:16 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 08:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My bad. I'm mistaking my OCD for your ADHD. You might not be a programmer. It's good work if you can find it and make it work though.

I have no doubt. I'm planning on becoming a game designer. I'm fairly fluent in C++, Java, really anything to do with websites and I'm learning XNA

Here you go. It's free. Beginning Game Programming with C# Thumbsup

31-01-2014, 09:58 PM
(31-01-2014 06:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 08:16 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I have no doubt. I'm planning on becoming a game designer. I'm fairly fluent in C++, Java, really anything to do with websites and I'm learning XNA

Here you go. It's free. Beginning Game Programming with C# Thumbsup

Not bad, thanks.
XNA is actually an addon to C#. Check it out.

Atir aissom atir imon
03-02-2014, 03:14 PM
(28-01-2014 03:15 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I was first diagnosed with ADHD around 6 years of age. I was again diagnosed at 15. I'm now 19. I've been medicated for 4 years now.

What do you guys want to know?

(I'm also assuming there's plenty of ADHD people here, so feel free to chime in)

I'm 17 now, and was diagnosed when I was 15 as well. I take Vyvanse, which is essentially a newer version of adderal and I was just wondering what medication/(s) you take and how you cope with the side effects. I also wanted to ask you how long you are thinking of staying on the medication. I find that I am starting to get more reliant on my medication and try to justify my behavior or mistakes by saying that I'm acting in a certain way because I'm not on it.

Another thing I wanted to ask is for you to specify which side effects are hard for you to cope with, as well as withdrawal symptoms for when you're not on it. For me, personally, the medicine makes me even more hyper and if I take it too late in the day, I have trouble sleeping because my mind is racing with thoughts and I'm just too antsy.

Finally, I'm starting to feel that the medicine is ''de-personalizing me, I'll elaborate by saying that I just don't feel like myself anymore. I feel like I'm too serious all the time now, I don't get jokes anymore, and I don't laugh as much as I used to. I sometimes can be too productive and that gets in the way with social interaction if your friends want to go out and just watch a movie. Have you experienced anything similar to what I've described?

Thanks, hope I didn't bombard you with too many questions.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
03-02-2014, 07:23 PM
(03-02-2014 03:14 PM)Freethought Wrote:  Thanks, hope I didn't bombard you with too many questions.

No worries, it's what this thread is for. I'm happy to answer any questions you have, and if you feel uncomfortable putting it out in the open feel free to PM me.

(03-02-2014 03:14 PM)Freethought Wrote:  I was just wondering what medication/(s) you take and how you cope with the side effects. I also wanted to ask you how long you are thinking of staying on the medication.

I was on Metadate 30mg throughout high school (except freshman year), I stopped taking it after high school.
Side effects (for me):
  • Insomnia
  • Acting "robotic", or lacking emotion and didn't care much for social activities (had no empathy)
  • Depression/suicidal thoughts and actions
    ~Though it wasn't fully due to the medication per say. I was going through some very hard times, so it just didn't help.
  • Lack of appetite
  • Lost motivation

Possibly others I can't remember, but those were the major ones. As for coping, well I didn't do too well then. Looking back I would say that I should've switched medications and lowered the dose.

At the moment I'm taking Aderall 10mg, just started last Monday. I can't give you a full list of side effects cause it's still new to me but here's what I noticed so far:
  • Change of appetite (not lack, so it's better)
  • Lack of sleep? (maybe, not sure yet. I sleep better with this one, though I can never seem to sleep in on the weekends. This may be due to my job though)
  • Racing thoughts (though not as bad as before, and not depressing.... yet)

All in all I like this medication much better. I'm feeling better, not nearly as depressed, feel more motivated and I'm more socially active than before. I don't feel "robotic" (usually, happened once or twice - but not for long).

As for how long I'm staying on the medication; that's a good question. I wanted to stop after high school, but when I started working I found my old habits were still there so I started taking it again.
I only take it when I "need" it, for instance I only take it on weekdays normally because of my job, but any day don't feel I'd "need" it, I don't take it.
Though, growing up with this I have noticed that I've become better at controlling my tendencies, and focusing. Not by alot, but little by little. So I don't know exactly how long I'll take it, but I guess for however long it's necessary.

(03-02-2014 03:14 PM)Freethought Wrote:  I find that I am starting to get more reliant on my medication and try to justify my behavior or mistakes by saying that I'm acting in a certain way because I'm not on it.

I've done that some times too, though, depending on exactly what situation you're in, it's not really lying. Now if you go overboard and you know you're just making excuses for something unrelated, then that's on you. You should stop that.
As for being reliant, I'm not too sure. I don't feel like I'm "reliant", though there are situations I would rather be medicated on. Try not taking it every day (like my example above).

(03-02-2014 03:14 PM)Freethought Wrote:  Another thing I wanted to ask is for you to specify which side effects are hard for you to cope with, as well as withdrawal symptoms for when you're not on it.

That's easy:
  • Insomnia
  • Lack of emotion/empathy/social skills aka "robotic"
  • Lack of appetite (because you ALWAYS feel like you've just eaten, so you detest the smell/sight of food yet you feel sick and weak from not eating)

I never took the medication daily, but it seemed my depression and insomnia would follow me everywhere. Insomnia I know was from the medication, the depression was only worsened by my medication.
When I stopped taking it altogether, the insomnia lasted a while, the depression faded faster, though still lasted a good while.

(03-02-2014 03:14 PM)Freethought Wrote:  For me, personally, the medicine makes me even more hyper and if I take it too late in the day, I have trouble sleeping because my mind is racing with thoughts and I'm just too antsy.

This is normal.
You want to take the medication when you get up (assumedly before noon!), then a neat little trick to calm you down is to take some L-theanine (not to be confused with "Theanine") and Melatonin about an hour before you go to bed. Now, before you freak out about taking more medication, I would like to say that these are natural supplements. Melatonin is the chemical your brain naturally releases to cause sleep. L-theanine is found in green tea and helps you relax. Google "Nature Made VitaMelt". They're actually pretty good and come in different flavors, I have Green Tea Mint and Chocolate Mint. I would recommend those if you can't decide.

(03-02-2014 03:14 PM)Freethought Wrote:  Finally, I'm starting to feel that the medicine is ''de-personalizing me, I'll elaborate by saying that I just don't feel like myself anymore. I feel like I'm too serious all the time now, I don't get jokes anymore, and I don't laugh as much as I used to. I sometimes can be too productive and that gets in the way with social interaction if your friends want to go out and just watch a movie. Have you experienced anything similar to what I've described?

Yes, this would be that "robotic" mood I was speaking of. This is not normal. Tell your doctor about this right away! Do not ignore it like I did. Normally this is caused by too high a dose, though it could just be the medication itself. If you feel like your medication has lot of side effects then talk to your doctor! Make a switch, different drugs come with different side effects and affect people differently. You'll have to go through a little "trial and error", but your doctor should be able to find you a medication that suits your needs. Just remember to tell him/her everything. Doctors aren't psychics, you need to be open and honest and don't "settle" for a drug. Make sure you tell them about even little discrepancies that may or may not be related, because you never know. Though normally telling them about any new or worsening behavior should cover it nicely.

Well I hope I answered all your questions, feel free to ask more if you want. Hopefully this post isn't too long lol

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post