Ask an Addict.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2014, 09:15 AM
RE: Ask an Addict.
Congratulations on your success! Kicking these addictions is no small feat. Thumbsup

I have a few friends who have kicked the alcohol habit only to replace it with the AA habit. They are sober, but are so tied to AA that they cannot miss a single day, and buy into all the splinter groups (Book Club, etc.) to the max. How do you see AA? Do you see it as a replacement addiction? My friends don't, but from afar, I do. What is your take on this?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
18-11-2014, 04:50 PM
(17-11-2014 06:56 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Wolfie i am seriously proud that you beat your demons! I had addiction for 3+ yrs on a pain med and quit it cold turkey at home no help.
I call it 'coming out on the other side".
What the whole thing must have put my family through....eeesh.

I'm glad you have this thread. Hope you can help someone here or otherwise elsewhere. Helping others everyday can keep you clean, man.

Stay strong!

Well done to you too!
Where pain is a major issue it can be really difficult for doctors and patients.
Adddictive drugs like oxycontin can create other problems.
I was addicted to benzos for over 30 years, including a 2 year taper.Bowing
18-11-2014, 04:56 PM
Tinkerbelle.
I agree!
I see AA as preferable to alcoholism, but I see some addicted to it.
Currently I go to a few AA meetings and try to take what good I can from the program without getting too involved.
Have met a few members sober for decades, while pretty maladjusted in other areas.
These days I look to a wide variety approach relevant to indulgences in order not to become too extreme in any area.
18-11-2014, 05:01 PM
(17-11-2014 06:59 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I didn't know you were an alcoholic. Kind of runs in my dad's side of the family, or what's left of it. Both my dad and his sister are/were recovering alcoholics. It's awesome you've stayed sober for so long. That's a really great thing for a person to accomplish.

Smile

Did your folk attend AA or other sobering organization.
AA more or less less claims there is no cure for the alcoholic, and that total abstinence and regular meetings is the only way to goConfused
18-11-2014, 06:08 PM
(18-11-2014 05:01 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  AA more or less less claims there is no cure for the alcoholic, and that total abstinence and regular meetings is the only way to goConfused

Bah. Luddites. Underestimating technology and pharmacology and shit. I'm giving Campral a ride at the moment.

#sigh
18-11-2014, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2014 06:15 PM by Mr Woof.)
Luddites, yes I like that!
Must check out campralConsider

Currently I am exploring a wide outlook approach.
"a little bit if what you like does you good"

Yeah approved in Europe much longer than U.S......THAT'S INTERESTING!
Might have helped me 3 decades back with my withdrawal.
19-11-2014, 03:01 PM
(18-11-2014 05:01 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(17-11-2014 06:59 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I didn't know you were an alcoholic. Kind of runs in my dad's side of the family, or what's left of it. Both my dad and his sister are/were recovering alcoholics. It's awesome you've stayed sober for so long. That's a really great thing for a person to accomplish.

Smile

Did your folk attend AA or other sobering organization.
AA more or less less claims there is no cure for the alcoholic, and that total abstinence and regular meetings is the only way to goConfused

I think both my dad and his sister attended AA. I know my dad did. My dad currently works as a cook at a recovery place, and my aunt attends college on the premises of another recovery institution. She's attending so she'll be able to help other drug/alcohol addicts.

I don't really agree with the entire "no cure, immediate cold turkey" way to help addicts. I mean, I'm sure there are other ways to help a person. I've seen first hand that it's a really hard process to overcome and it doesn't happen over night. It took my dad some 20-ish years to get over his problems. Addictions can take complete control of someone, and it's really scary to think about a substance having so much power over a person. But then again, I'm not an addict of anything, so I'm really not too educated on what would be more efficient with helping someone recovering from an addiction.
19-11-2014, 03:57 PM
(19-11-2014 03:01 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 05:01 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Did your folk attend AA or other sobering organization.

I think both my dad and his sister attended AA. I know my dad did. My dad currently works as a cook at a recovery place, and my aunt attends college on the premises of another recovery institution. She's attending so she'll be able to help other drug/alcohol addicts.

I don't really agree with the entire "no cure, immediate cold turkey" way to help addicts. I mean, I'm sure there are other ways to help a person. I've seen first hand that it's a really hard process to overcome and it doesn't happen over night. It took my dad some 20-ish years to get over his problems. Addictions can take complete control of someone, and it's really scary to think about a substance having so much power over a person. But then again, I'm not an addict of anything, so I'm really not too educated on what would be more efficient with helping someone recovering from an addiction.
I see alcoholism as extremely tricky; there are so many types.
As for AA I don't agree with a lot of their doctrines, but still see it heplfull as a meeting place for troubled people.
These days you can expect all types of addicts at an AA meeting; as long as they have a problem with alcohol they are accepted within the group.
19-11-2014, 09:10 PM
How can you consider AA "helpful"? You said you have been in AA for 20 years and yet you are only 19 months sober (not to belittle 19 months sober, I mean "only" in the sense that you've been going to AA for 20 months).

It can't be all that helpful.
I would think that a place where you are accepted and given a pat on the back followed by "well, these things happen, better luck next time" if you relapse is not exactly the best environment for someone trying to beat alcoholism.
19-11-2014, 10:37 PM
(19-11-2014 09:10 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  How can you consider AA "helpful"? You said you have been in AA for 20 years and yet you are only 19 months sober (not to belittle 19 months sober, I mean "only" in the sense that you've been going to AA for 20 months).

It can't be all that helpful.
I would think that a place where you are accepted and given a pat on the back followed by "well, these things happen, better luck next time" if you relapse is not exactly the best environment for someone trying to beat alcoholism.

My first experience with AA was round 20 years ago.
At that time I did not get too involved and stayed only about 6 months.
I decided I could become a 'normal drinker' and did, compared with my earlier rather extreme drinking. The problem was that my limited drinking; 4-5 std drinks nightly didn't satisfy: I had to count my drinks,time myself: and always felt at risk of going into extreme mode again. I even invented a std drink glass.
Twenty one months ago I rejoined AA and got much more involved.
It is generally claimed that AAs success rate is only about 5%, no more than that of a person giving up of their own volition. I think this is a bit misleading, as if people attend meeting regularly they aren't too likely to return to their bad old ways.
On the down side attending meeting 3 or 4 times a week, or more may be seen as having opted for another addiction.
Hence I have reduced my AA and NA involvement, while still keeping an interest, and try to involve myself in other healthy pursuits.
[+] 3 users Like Mr Woof's post