Ask an Agnostic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2012, 09:54 AM
RE: Ask an Agnostic
I may not know if a God exists. But I am convinced that the Christian one doesn't.

In my own terms, I am a strong athiest, I am more than fifty percent sure ( currently at 75) that NO theistic God exists.

No resonable atheist. Is going to claim knowledge of the existance of a Creator, we can't "know" in the terms of Absolutes.

When I say I believe that there is no God, I greatly infer there is no God, therefore I am an atheist.
Because I can't claim full on knowledge, I am stuck with the agnostic title, which shouldn't really be there. Drinking Beverage

I view agnostics as people who value knowledge over belief, and therefore make important judgements on knowledge, and not simple evidence, or lack of.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2012, 07:20 PM
(17-07-2012 07:47 AM)Ghost Wrote:  His critique is of the strong Atheism position and that is what he was reacting to. It's also why he abandoned all credos. But he, as far as I know, did not blanket ALL Atheists. Just the ones that were cheesing him off Cool

To both of you.

Really? You both bring terribly unfunny "dead people don't roll" rebuttals? Man. Lighten up. Let a nigga use an expression, Buzz Killington lol

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
His basing it on what he had experience with is why I think the position is pointless. Atheist has several definitions and can be aligned with what he knew.. but it's better set one that is far more accurate in according with the etymology and real use of the word. I know this is what he had stated:

"When I reached intellectual maturity and began to ask myself whether I
was an atheist, a theist, or a pantheist; a materialist or an idealist;
Christian or a freethinker; I found that the more I learned and
reflected, the less ready was the answer; until, at last, I came to the
conclusion that I had neither art nor part with any of these
denominations, except the last. The one thing in which most of these
good people were agreed was the one thing in which I differed from them.
They were quite sure they had attained a certain "gnosis,"
I disprove of it because Huxley was an atheist. Regardless of how strong willed the majority of those people he met were, he was a weak atheist. It still is a default position until an assertion of belief is made. His depicting of the people he knew does not categorize the term.

Regardless of it all.. I think this debate is like two sects of Christians bashing each other for not being true Christians. There is just those reasons I have to dislike Huxley's motive and conclusion.

Actually my comment on the body rolling was entirely at Logico's use of it.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
30-07-2012, 08:24 AM
(17-07-2012 08:12 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Logico.

I see your why am I here and raise you a what the fuck are you talking about?

Matt

It is a simple question that requires a simple answer. I do not understand what is so difficult to understand about it. Why are you here, on The Thinking Atheist?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
30-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Logica,

It's not a simple question with a simple answer. It's a loaded question dripping with innuendo and far too broad and far too judgmental to warrant a simple answer. I don't have to justify myself to you and I won't. So ask the question you mean to ask. If you mean to make a statement about me, make it. If you're trying to learn something, then make your question more specific because as I already stated, I don't know what you're getting at. If you're just fucking with me, don't.

Matt
30-07-2012, 01:13 PM
(30-07-2012 12:15 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Logica,

It's not a simple question with a simple answer. It's a loaded question dripping with innuendo and far too broad and far too judgmental to warrant a simple answer. I don't have to justify myself to you and I won't. So ask the question you mean to ask. If you mean to make a statement about me, make it. If you're trying to learn something, then make your question more specific because as I already stated, I don't know what you're getting at. If you're just fucking with me, don't.

Matt

I'd think it is a very simple question to answer, you have a motivation, a goal you want to meet by taking part in this community. What is it?

Your beliefs about the motivations and justifications for each side attempting to argue their point, whether it be theistic, atheistic, apatheistic, agnostic, etc appear to be far too hypocritical when you, yourself, take part in debates about theism and atheism constantly.

30-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Logica.

Now we get to the meat of it. Next time just man up and call me a hypocrite.

Once again, I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. You aren't referring to anything in particular, you're just using some general wash. Which beliefs? Make a point or I'll just assume you're trolling and move on with my life.

I've gone back now and tried to make sense of things (this thread is pretty old). The closest I can figure is you're talking about this exchange:

Quote: Quote:And your point is? By your logic, an atheist or theist should not have
the ability to attempt to convince anyone either, because they act as if
they know something when they really don't.

You answered your own question.

I'm saying that people who don't have evidence shouldn't be able to peddle what they call the truth. "Hey, guys, my penis shoots lightning bolts!" Why should I be able to peddle that as the truth?

Also, I noticed this.

Quote: Quote:You see a cover when a person admits that they do not have solid
evidence, but then think it is perfectly okay for a person to say they
have solid evidence when they really don't?

Uh, what?

ALL BEFORE "THEN": I'm talking about a somewhat weak admittance after the fact.
ALL AFTER "THEN": I have no idea what you're talking about. I have never in my life said anything of the like.

Then why are you here?

I have no idea how you arrive at that question.

You said that I was saying something that I have never once said in my life. When I asked what you were talking about, you asked why I was here. WTF, dude?

Anyhoo, make your point.
30-07-2012, 02:46 PM
(30-07-2012 02:03 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I'm saying that people who don't have evidence shouldn't be able to peddle what they call the truth. "Hey, guys, my penis shoots lightning bolts!" Why should I be able to peddle that as the truth?

Yes, and my point is quite evident. If you believe that, then no one has any "correct" basis to argue for or against the idea or notion of a deity.

Again, I do not see how it is difficult to answer the question. You have a reason to frequent this forum, what is it?

30-07-2012, 02:52 PM
(30-07-2012 02:46 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Again, I do not see how it is difficult to answer the question. You have a reason to frequent this forum, what is it?

It would be quite difficult for me to answer this question... It's not like people who hang out here think of a list of reasons why they wanna be here before they sign up Wink What the vast majority do, I imagine, is sign up and hang out a bit, see what it's like, get involved in a bit of discussion and stick around if they like it. There's not necessarily an overriding motive.
30-07-2012, 03:22 PM
(30-07-2012 02:52 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(30-07-2012 02:46 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Again, I do not see how it is difficult to answer the question. You have a reason to frequent this forum, what is it?

It would be quite difficult for me to answer this question... It's not like people who hang out here think of a list of reasons why they wanna be here before they sign up Wink What the vast majority do, I imagine, is sign up and hang out a bit, see what it's like, get involved in a bit of discussion and stick around if they like it. There's not necessarily an overriding motive.

It does not take much time to think of the cause. I did not create a list of reasons, but I know what precisely motivates me to post here.

30-07-2012, 03:43 PM
... Well... yeah I guess. Point taken.